Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Movie Timers Disappearing

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:28 PM

Well my PPV did fire as I expected it would... Hmmm I will try and Schedule some HDNet timers this week and see if anything comes up.

Keeps us up to date on the replacement. I would be shocked if the problem goes away.. Definitely a strange one.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Ernie7410

Ernie7410

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:07 AM

Ron: I have another refurbished replacement 722. I'll install today and start setting timers to find out if it can handle both HDNet and PPV movie timers. Wish me luck.

But here's a question. I wrote down the SysInfo Screen data and compared my two 722s today (before changeout). While they both have the same basic SW version, there are differences.

Downstairs 722 (the good one):
Software Ver: L449RJ2B-N
Bootstrap: 1418RJ2B

Upstairs 722 (the defective one):
Software Ver: L449RJ2D-N
Bootstrap: 1418RJ2D

Note different versions marked in red color.

Any idea of the significance of the difference? Are they slightly different versions of the software? If so, maybe I am chasing my tail with different receivers. Why have none of the advanced techs mentioned this? Each time they simply say "Version 449 - Yes, your software is the latest version."

Thanks,
Ernie

#43 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:51 AM

Good luck.. I am not exactly sure on the difference, but I believe it has to do with software responsible for loading the image. It appears from the versions you are showing is that your new one has a earlier version of the software that loads the image.

Does this make a difference? hard to say.. Is it the same as the one that works? Might be a correlation point to keep track of.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#44 OFFLINE   dbrakob

dbrakob

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:01 AM

:) No idea what is going on but ALL my HBO channels are now working. Set a bunch of timers for this week on Sunday night. Went to "reactivate" the Monday timers yesterday morning and to my surprise they were still in the schedule. Did the same thing this morning and all the movies were still there. Hopefully this will continue. Is there some way I can check if they did an update to my receiver that may have "fixed" this problem? I know they had me on "record" as having this problem. Maybe enough people called in with similar problems that they were able to isolate the software/hardware/code responsible and patch. :hurah:

#45 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:06 AM

If there was a patch or fix.. it was done on the stream side of the equation... No software updates have happened from what I can see. If you have L449 dbrakob then no update has occurred.

People having this issue... if it has indeed gone away, update in a week or so if you run into it again update this thread with as much info as possible. These type of Ghost type bugs are hard to track down and fix from my experience.

#46 OFFLINE   Ernie7410

Ernie7410

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:19 PM

Installed my 4th replacement (refurbished) 722 receiver today. Unfortunately, not good. After an easy installation and activation, I started setting timers. I chose a movie on PPV channel 531 (Kite Runner) starting May 9th at 5am eastern time. Authorization of the movie and setting of DVR timer went smooth. Also set a number of HDNet (ch 9422) timers, as PPV movies and HDNet timer event have been the ones that keep deleting on their own.

Turned the receiver off and came back ~ 30 minutes later. All timer events were there except the PPV movie. The same old message was there in the schedule, not for May 9th, but for today: "Deleted by user #1.

I reset the timer for the movie several times and each time the deletion re-occurred after turning the receiver off.

But the story has more to it still ...

After a couple hours of otherwise normal operation (except for the timer issue), the receiver just died. Dead as a door nail. I tried resetting with the power button. No go. So I unplugged for a few minutes. Still no go. Once all lights flashed on and it said it was searching for a satellite signal, but it then went dead and stayed dead.

Not overheated. Just dead.

Needless to say, I'm losing confidence in the 722 and in Dish in general.

Ernie

#47 OFFLINE   seattlemike

seattlemike

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 12:03 PM

Would this have anything to do with the missing timers?

Dish to begin DRM on PPV May 6th

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pay-Per-View (PPV) Services Subject to Digital Rights Management

DISH Network has been asked to comply with industry standards which require us to make some changes to our Pay-Per-View (PPV) services. These standards apply to ALL TV-service providers and are not unique to DISH Network.

These new standards will only affect some PPV movies that are recorded on or after May 6, 2008 by DISH Network subscribers. Any movies or events recorded by DISH Network customers before May 6, 2008 will not be affected.

How do these new standards affect PPV movie services effective May 6, 2008?

• Limited Recording – The amount of time PPV movies can be kept on a Digital Video Recorder (DVR) will be restricted.

24-hour window – Once customers begin to playback a recorded PPV movie from their DVR, they have 24 hours to pause and finish watching it, and may also watch it for an unlimited number of times within that period (if the entire 24-hour period is within the license window of the movie – please refer to the “License Window” section below for more information).

After the 24-hour window – After the 24-hour time period, customers will be able to see the title of the movie in the “My Recordings” section of their DishDVR, but will not be able to view it; they will also be prompted to delete the movie/event from their DVR. If the customer does not delete the movie, the title will remain in “My Recordings” but customers will not be able to view it.

• License Window – The license window is the length of time that a movie may air on PPV. License window time durations differ but average between 3 to 6 months. A movie with limited recording will not be available to view once the license window is over.

If the license window expires before DVR playback begins, the customer will not able to view the recording, and will be prompted to delete the movie.

• External Hard Drive – If a customer moves a movie to their external hard drive, DRM restrictions still apply.

#48 OFFLINE   AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie

Icon

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 01:09 PM

Good morning Mr. Phelps… And if the PPV content is archived to DVD-R will those discs also self destruct? :rolleyes:

John

Two ViP622s - DPP-44 - Three Dish500s: #1 (110°/119° - Twin), #2 (61.5° - Dual), #3 (129° - Dual)

#49 OFFLINE   seattlemike

seattlemike

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 01:31 PM

First PPV then premium movie channels and eventually network channels? It changes my outlook on making an purchase a external hard drive & hookup fee. Guess I'd better check my older PPV movies I have stored om the 622 hard drive and see if they are still playable, rather disapointing as I had planned on investing on a large external drive for starting a film library and getting away from the DVD Discs.

Michael

#50 OFFLINE   Ernie7410

Ernie7410

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 02:13 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pay-Per-View (PPV) Services Subject to Digital Rights Management

My problem with timer events being automatically deleted BEFORE recording does not appear to have anything to do with DRM.

GOOD NEWS: My problem appears to now be solved. The last advanced tech support guy I talked to took the bull by the horns and scheduled a service tech to come to my house with 2 NEW (not remanufactured as were all 4 previous replacements) VIP722 receivers. He installed new replacements and the disappearing timer events problem was resolved.

So ...

1. ) The problem obviously was in the receivers, not the software.
2. ) Dish's collection of reman. 722 receivers contains an abundance of defective units.

If you are having this problem, you now know what the solution is ... get new, not remanufactured, replacement receivers.

Thanks to Ron Barry and all others that tried to help with this problem.

Ernie

#51 OFFLINE   Ernie7410

Ernie7410

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 02:20 PM

I refer you to the following thread for the gory history behind this problem:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=104450

After many attempts by Dish and others to solve the problem, the solution came with NEW replacement VIP722 receivers. My original 2 new receivers and 4 replacement receivers were all defective. But after 2 1/2 months and countless sessions on the phone with Dish, one of the Advanced Tech Support people sent a service rep to my house with 2 NEW receivers. Problem Solved !

If you are having schedule events mysteriously be deleted, you may want to read the full thread above and push for a new receiver.

Ernie

#52 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:23 PM

After many attempts by Dish and others to solve the problem, the solution came with NEW replacement VIP722 receivers. My original 2 new receivers and 4 replacement receivers were all defective. But after 2 1/2 months and countless sessions on the phone with Dish, one of the Advanced Tech Support people sent a service rep to my house with 2 NEW receivers. Problem Solved !

If you are having schedule events mysteriously be deleted, you may want to read the full thread above and push for a new receiver.

Ernie

I'm glad that you finally got that solved!
I find it really hard to accept that a problem like that can be caused by hardware. That makes no sense to me whatsoever. But, I guess the proof is in the pudding, as they say. Obviously, your new receivers don't have the same problems as the old ones. Another example of inconsistent hardware in production runs and lack of quality control (IMO).
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#53 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:39 PM

1. ) The problem obviously was in the receivers, not the software.
2. ) Dish's collection of reman. 722 receivers contains an abundance of defective units.

It's been posted here that refurbished units are "spot checked" and sent back out for replacements. If you can insist on new replacements, I would definitely do so. There have been way too many people reporting less than acceptable performance when receiving refurbished units.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#54 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 08:19 AM

Thanks for posting the resolution. I have not encountered this problem on any service calls. I would not have thought this would have been hardware related so I will try to remember this in case I happen to see it in the future.

#55 OFFLINE   Ernie7410

Ernie7410

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:28 AM

Ernie

To All: I apologize for declaring victory too soon. I got the 2 new 722 receivers on Friday. The service tech and I set the same PPV movie timers on each of the receivers (I had previously authorized payment for the movies) and then turned the receivers off, waited 20 minutes, turned them on, and verified the scheduled recordings were still on the daily schedule list. Just before switching receivers that same test caused the events to be deleted. Then, for the acid test, we did a check switch, which forces a download and program guide update at the completion of the test. Previously this would also cause the timer events to be deleted from the schedule. Again no deletions. So we concluded that the problem had been solved.

On Saturday the events were still on the schedule of both receivers.

But today, Sunday, they were missing from the schedule on one of the receivers but still present on the other.

If I had any hair left I would be pulling it out now! What could be causing this problem? Why so erratic?

The one component that we have not changed out that could conceivably be the cause is the LNB / Switch, located on the dish antenna. When the technician was here on Friday, our plan had been to check out or replace the LNB / Switch arrangement if the receiver swap had proved ineffective. But since we thought the receiver swap had solved the problem, we did not bother with the LNB / Switch. Now I think that is where I need to take this problem solving quest.

See the following explanation of LNB / Switch function:

http://www.solidsign...ech_faqs_04.asp

It talks about needing a powered switch if cable runs exceed 100 feet. I'd say that my cable runs from dish to receiver are approaching that distance. Maybe I should have a powered multi-switch? Or maybe my multi-switch is bad? Could improper or erratic switch operation cause my problem?

Unless someone with expert knowledge in this area is able to definitively answer these questions, I think I have to pursue a switch replacement, possibly with an external powered switch, with my Dish installer.

Again, sorry for indicating a solution prematurely.

Ernie

Update: After reading everything I could find about LNBs and Multi-Switches, I think I have gained a basic understanding of what they do and how they work. My conclusion is that the problem I am having is not likely the result of the LNB / Multi-Switch hardware. Reason: The function of the switch is to switch to the correct satellite and transponder for the channel selected by the receiver. This works just fine for both my receivers. So I don't think this hardware is likely the source of my problem.

What about Power? Clean power? Power surges or dips? I was reading in another thread about spurious rebooting of the receiver. A couple dish installers weighed in on the importance of having good clean power. They suggested using a UPS. I am going to try a UPS to see if it makes any difference. Also, I am going to disconnect my X-10 timer used to turn on and off outside lights as a further precaution in case the X-10 signal, which is a modulation of the normal home power supply voltage, is affecting the 722 receiver.

#56 OFFLINE   Ernie7410

Ernie7410

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:35 AM

Deleted

#57 OFFLINE   dbrakob

dbrakob

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:22 AM

If there was a patch or fix.. it was done on the stream side of the equation... No software updates have happened from what I can see. If you have L449 dbrakob then no update has occurred.

People having this issue... if it has indeed gone away, update in a week or so if you run into it again update this thread with as much info as possible. These type of Ghost type bugs are hard to track down and fix from my experience.

It's been a week now since the "phatom fix" for me and my movie timers are still doing fine. Have no idea what happened as it had been a problem for 8 months and then presto the problem was gone. Oh well, I am not complaining.

#58 OFFLINE   Ernie7410

Ernie7410

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:02 AM

This is an update for the benefit of anyone who may be experiencing this problem and for DISH reps who may be monitoring this forum.

See my previous posts for gory details of persistent problem of DVR timers that auto delete. Have gone through total of 4 new 722 receivers and 4 refurbished 722 receivers and only 1 (a new one) of these 8 receivers does not have this problem.

UPDATE:
Of the last 2 new receivers I received (recently brought to my home by local installer), the one marked Made In Mexico (Receiver #8 ) does NOT have the problem. [DNASP241 DshH01]

The one marked Made In India (Receiver #7) DOES HAVE the same problem as all the other receivers I have worked with since February, when I upgraded my two 508 DVR receivers to the 722's. [DNASP206 Dsh78A]

Notice the DNASP number differences (from the sysinfo screen). Only Receiver #8 has a DNASP number other than 206. The other 7 receivers, all WITH the deleting timer problem, had DNASP numbers of 206 ...

Could this be a software version tag that is an indicator for this problem?

Well, I tried to find out by going to the Dish Tech Portal online help site and got a live technician. After explaining my problem with 7 receivers, I asked about the DNASP number differences. He responded that this did indicate different software, but would have nothing to do with timers. I tried to get him to explain the SW differences but he refused to discuss further. He asked if I wanted him to send another receiver to replace the one that still was not functioning and I responded that it would just be a "crap shoot", since so far 7 of 8 were bad. Well, then he just disconnected me without so much as a goodby. (Great Customer Service Attidude !!)

For a while I thought the problem might have to do with my installation, my home power (clean or dirty?), etc. But now I am convinced it is really just in the receiver(s). With these last two recievers, I have swapped their locations in my house: Upstairs <=> Downstairs. Sure enough, Receiver #8 continues to be problem free and Receiver #7 continues to drop the timers.

So I have one good one and one bad one. I think I'll just live with that rather than put in any more time on the phone with Dish or with further trouble shooting on my own.

EOS (end of story)

Thanks to all who have tried to help. If anyone has further insight and wants to discuss, I'm willing to engage out of desire to help others or to help DISH get it right.

Ernie

spam firewall