Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Controller Problem/Operator error

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Kenster

Kenster

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 03:22 PM

Occasionally, right after I use the UTV remote to turn on my TV, I forget to push the SAT button before trying to change channels on the TV. This knocks it off the SAT. The only way I can get it back on is to switch to the television's remote and push the TV/Video button which put the receiver back to where it says "Video" on the screen. Then I can push the SAT button and can control the receiver with the UTV remote.
My question is.... Is there not a button on the UTV remote that I could push similar to the "TV/Video" button on the TV's remote?
I never have to use the TV remote for anything so I like to have it put away. Any suggestions?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 03:27 PM

I am in the same boat with My Toshiba TV. I have to use the Toshiba remote to switch between TV/VCR/DVD, etc. I haven't been able to find a way to use the UTV remote to do it.
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#3 OFFLINE   Kenster

Kenster

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 11:48 AM

Originally posted by karl_f
I am in the same boat with My Toshiba TV. I have to use the Toshiba remote to switch between TV/VCR/DVD, etc.

Yes, mine is a Toshiba also. The UTV remote does turn the TV off and on. I don't have anything else hooked up to it except the UTV.

#4 OFFLINE   Richssat

Richssat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 02:38 AM

I am guessing that you have a RCA UTV unit. The Sony has the TV/Video button right on top. For the RCA remote, try pushing TV followed by Input. That should toggle the TV between inputs. Don't forget to push Sat when you are done. If that doesn't work, try other remote codes listed for your brand of TV. I have found that some codes will not work all the tv features.

HTH

RR
Repeat after me: Merger bad, merger bad, merger bad.... Wow, I think it actually worked. (This space for rent)

#5 OFFLINE   Ric

Ric

Godfather

• Gold Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 02:57 AM

I have a Sanyo - the Input button on the UTV remote works for me in these situations

#6 OFFLINE   Kenster

Kenster

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 09:40 AM

I just want to clarify my problem. My RCA UTV remote controls the TV and the SAT (UTV) just fine. The problem is: sometimes I turn on the tv, the punch in a channel number (say..11) BEFORE I punch the SAT (actually labeled "DirecTV") button. I think what is happening is that this takes it out of the S-Video input. I have to go get the Toshiba TV contoller and punch the "TV/Video" toggle to get the "S-Video" input back.
Is there a button, or a procedure, where I can use the RCA UTV remote to switch the TV back to the s-video input?
Rick and Richssat, I am at work right now and can't visualize the UTV remote. Is there an actual button labelled "Input?"
Are you saying that if I lose the s-video input, I should press "TV" then the "input" button?
Thanks for your help. I guess I'm a bit dense.

#7 OFFLINE   David W

David W

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 10:05 AM

Is there a way to lock your TV so you can't change channels? I have this features on my Sony TV...so if my remote is in the wrong mode, it's impossible for me to accidentally change the channel.

#8 OFFLINE   Kenster

Kenster

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 02:13 PM

Originally posted by David W
Is there a way to lock your TV so you can't change channels? I have this features on my Sony TV...so if my remote is in the wrong mode, it's impossible for me to accidentally change the channel.

I've never seen this feature on my Toshiba, but I'll check. My father-in-law frequently pushes the wrong button on his RCA 27 inch. I wonder if IT has such a lock.

#9 OFFLINE   Kenster

Kenster

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 08:50 AM

I've tried using the "input" button on the UTV remote to see if that helps, but it does not appear to do anything at all.

spam firewall