Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Innocent Plea in DirecTV Piracy Case

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 03:39 AM

Igor Serebryany, the 19-year-old University of Chicago student accused of stealing details for DirecTV's new conditional access system and then distributing the information on the Internet, pleaded not guilty to the charges in Los Angeles federal court this week.

Serebryany, indicted by a federal grand jury earlier in the month on three felony counts of theft of trade secrets, faces 10 years in prison if convicted of the charges, according to reports. The student allegedly stole the information from a Los Angeles law firm which was doing legal work for DirecTV. At the time, he was working for an outside printing and copying service preparing paperwork for the law office on the satellite TV company's behalf.

The information taken reportedly deals with DirecTV's fourth-generation access system, known as the "P4" card. Earlier in the month, DirecTV officials said the security of its conditional access system was not compromised despite what happened with the stolen information.

From SkyReport (Used with Permission)
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 Guest_Wondering in Seattle_*

Guest_Wondering in Seattle_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2003 - 08:21 AM

There is something very strange about this case. Igor Serebryany did not receive any money for his efforts and doesn't even have a satellite dish.

#3 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 11:16 AM

A serious pet peeve of mine....

innocent and not guilty ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE!!!!!!!

It drives me nuts when a journalists says some one plead "innocent". You CANNOT plead innocent in a court of law. The court CANNOT exhonorate you EVER. All they can determine is that there is not enough evidense to prove you are guilty. If there is not enough convincing evidence, you are not guilty. NEVER innocent. These are not legal synonyms.

A close second is "He died by an apparant heart attack". No...if a heart attack killed him it was a very REAL heart attack. "He died, apparantly from a hear attack."

Thanks for the article Steve

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#4 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 11:35 AM

Tony,

I couldn't agree more! A person that is found NOT GUILTY is not necessarily innocent of the crime. This guy must believe that the gov't doesn't have enough evidence to convict him. His innocence or guilt is irrelevent. It's not what you know, it's what you can prove beyond a reasonable doubt.
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#5 OFFLINE   Mark

Mark

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 07:19 PM

I am innocent!!! Thaat was NOt Me in the camera!!
It was my EVIL Twin!! yyyyaaa thats the ticket...
Hike high mountains,
Fish for wild trout.

#6 OFFLINE   RichW

RichW

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 6,526 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 08:14 PM

Actually, according to law, one IS innocent until proven guilty.

Louisiana may be the only state where this is not true (because of its French heritage of law).

But Tony is quite correct. One does not plead "innocent" before a court of law.
No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child.

#7 OFFLINE   BoiseTiVo

BoiseTiVo

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 10:22 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TNGTony
A serious pet peeve of mine....

innocent and not guilty ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE!!!!!!!

It drives me nuts when a journalists says some one plead "innocent". You CANNOT plead innocent in a court of law. The court CANNOT exhonorate you EVER. All they can determine is that there is not enough evidense to prove you are guilty. If there is not enough convincing evidence, you are not guilty. NEVER innocent. [b]These are not legal synonyms.

Tony, the term innocent drives a lot of people crazy, but there's a good reason it's used in news reporting. (I work in radio news and handle this complaint several times a year.) The Associated Press style guide requires the use of innocent in news copy rather than not guilty.

Why?

Think how easy it is to misread, or mis-hear "not guilty" as "guilty". News material is constantly re-written by newspapers, and radio or TV stations. It can pass through several editors and writers, including possibly part-time college interns. Using the term "not guilty" is technically accurate, but it puts you three little letters away from a libel suit. Drop the "not" by accident and you've just convicted someone who was acquitted. Innocent is unambiguous, even if it's inaccurate.

I use innocent in news copy for that very reason. I may never believe O.J. was innocent, but that's what I'll say on the air... :rolleyes:

#8 OFFLINE   raj2001

raj2001

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 929 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 12:05 PM

I am surprised that in the days of the DMCA that this happened. The DMCA gives wide and sweeping powers and exemptions, and also makes it a felony to bypass content protection devices. I think his plea of innocent will not really matter as much.

P.S. I think this case is one of the few where the DMCA could be rightfully applied.

#9 OFFLINE   Mike123abc

Mike123abc

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 08:11 PM

If the government case is true, he clearly saw the information's value and passed it on to the internet. Even though he did not profit or even have a satellite dish does not mean he did not have a reason. He may have wanted to get even with the "big bad corporation". After all it is General Motors, the maker of the internal combustion engine.

spam firewall