Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How are you receiving your local HDTV broadcasts?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 02:48 PM

Just curious how everyone is receiving their local OTA digital channels. After doing some research, I decided to go ahead and install a rotator on my antenna because a couple of my local digitals are in different directions. Does anyone else here require a rotator? Just curious. With the antenna pictured below, I get 80 to 90% signal strengths on my locals through the 8VSB module on my Dish 6000 receiver.

Feel free to post a picture of your antenna.

Attached Thumbnails

• antenna 1.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 02:51 PM

Here's another view with the Dishes in the forground. As you can see, the antenna really isn't very big or very high yet it works quite well. I've had the antenna for about 5 years.

Attached Thumbnails

• antenna 2.jpg

#3 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 02:55 PM

I receive mine using this. Sits behind the TV on the floor. ABC is the worst and sometime require me to hit it with a golf club, but most of the time its fine.

Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   AkShark

AkShark

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 03:09 PM

Digitals, what digitals!! I had to get a homeowners assoc. approval to install dish on the igloo!! LOL

Our locals are saying they will go digital in May.

#5 OFFLINE   bryan27

bryan27

DBSTalk E* Spot Beam Guru

• Registered
  • 443 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 07:51 AM

James, That's about what I use. After putting up a new tower and antenna for our FM station I really am not in the mood for putting up a TV antenna.
The "local" NBC and CBS are fine and are in SDTV. I don't watch the NBC because they have a 24/7 non transparent logo, really nice for screen burn. The Pittsburgh NBC and CBS are fine, Fox and WB come in and out. ABC and PBS are at too low power to receive :(

#6 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 09:35 AM

I use a radio shack 15-2160 36" UHF only yagi antenna mounted on my roof using a satellite dish mount located between my 2 dishes. One of the lucky few in Denver that can receive all of our low power stations.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#7 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 11:46 AM

Originally posted by bryan27
James, That's about what I use. After putting up a new tower and antenna for our FM station I really am not in the mood for putting up a TV antenna.

ABC isn't too bad, just sometimes I have to "massage" the antenna to make it work better. Laying a golf club (Driver or 2 iron) on top of it to get a better signal. :shrug: If there was more HD content that I watched on the locals, I'd probably get a better antenna, but I don't want any shows on CBS so other than sporting events, I don't use the antenna.

#8 OFFLINE   DarrellP

DarrellP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 03:31 PM

I use a Rat Shack 121" combo UHF/VHF/FM mounted on a 10' mast at the corner edge of my house just like yours, Chris, only I used 2 stand-off mounts that come out even with the edge of the roof eave.

My antenna looks out over an orchard so I have no building obstructions at all and I get all of my OTA digital signals from the same hill in Portland, about 30 miles as the crow flies.

My CBS last night showed from 98%-100% signal strength with the others up at least in the 80's. Even my OTA Analog channels come in pretty decent.

The only channel I am waiting for to come up Digital is WB. PAX is in the works but I could care less about them.
<---- I wish she was my girlfriend. :D

#9 OFFLINE   SatMan

SatMan

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 04:19 PM

HD Digital TV is broadcast in UHF, so combination antennas are not good.
It is best to use an antenna like the Channel Master 4221 or 4228 UHF antenna pointed bow ties towards your local DTV towers which can be found at http://www.100000watts.com
Use a good quality RG-6 Coax and cable runs under 120' is best.

#10 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 04:52 PM

Hey Satman, and welcome to DBSTalk! :hi:

Most DTV is broadcast in the UHF spectrum, but not all. There are a few DTV channels around the country that are broadcast in the VHF spectrum. So channel combiners may be necessary.

Also, the 4221 and 4228 are excellent antennas unless you are in an area that has a lot of multipath problems. Then, you definitely want to go with a highly directional yagi antenna. Get much better results that way over the bowties.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#11 OFFLINE   SatMan

SatMan

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 04:55 PM

I did not know that, thanks, I will add that to my knowledge.
:)

#12 OFFLINE   DarrellP

DarrellP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 02:58 PM

Also, Satman, I am feeding my radio tuner and other TV's in the house with the same antenna so I have a need for UHF/VHF reception as we have Analog stations in both spectrums.

#13 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 03:04 PM

I get all 3 of the Big 3 Networks in HD now. :)

It's NICE.

Even when there is no HD on, I show guests what Analog looks like then flip to the Digital Channel, that alone is a big difference to make them say Oh Ahh!

#14 OFFLINE   DarrellP

DarrellP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 01:51 PM

You're right Scott about the difference between Analog & HD Digital. But I have to differ with you on Digital and Analog OTA, at least in the Portland market because my Analog signal looks better than my Digital locals and beats the pants off Dish digitals.

The local SD Digital OTA channels have way too much digital artifacting and the Analog have much more detail and don't break up with action sequences. I prefer watching the Blazers games in Analog if NBC does not simulcast it to their HD sub channel.

#15 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 01:58 PM

In my city, most local digital SD broadcasts look fantastic! Much better than the standard analog. The WB affiliate here however has done a crappy job with their OTA digital. It seems that they just threw it up there to make the FCC happy. They broadcast nothing in true 1080i and the sound is all screwed up and the picture is blurry.

#16 OFFLINE   Mike Russell

Mike Russell

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 09:36 PM

We only have one network broadcasting digital in the Sprg. Mo. market which is NBC. I contacted Fox and CBS and they said soon, but only at low power. That won't help me any since I live 40 miles from the towers and under a hill. NBC looks great now but I don't like the black bars on there news.

#17 OFFLINE   Mike123abc

Mike123abc

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 09:50 PM

HDTV is new here. CBS is upconverting to 1080i but they do not have the 1080i network feed set up yet. So, you get all these shows in the wrong aspect ratio (they are stretching them to 16x9).

The NBC station is using their entire bandwith for a 480i broadcast. It looks great. It is so sharp and crystal clear.

I get good reception on both CBS/NBC analog, but the digital NBC has the edge because it is so crystal clear.

So, I end up watching the analog CBS and the digital NBC. When they finally get the real 1080i network feed up I will switch to the digital CBS.

#18 OFFLINE   invaliduser88

invaliduser88

Welcome to Torchwood

• Gold Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 16 March 2003 - 10:38 PM

I receive my HD via a 13' Channel Master with a 24db amp.

PBS Houston's Hamster driven digital broadcast is the only problem child.

#19 Guest_pmalve_*

Guest_pmalve_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2003 - 08:31 AM

Scott. I was wondering where in CT you live. I live in bethlehem and am wondering if its it worth it to but stb and get over locals that way. I think cable is going to take forever to get locals. Not going back to dishnetwork as digital cable picture is 1o times better. Also much more dolby 5.1 on cable than on dishnetwork. i hear channel 3 is really hard to get. Nobody around here seems to really know much aboout this.

#20 OFFLINE   Baywoof

Baywoof

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 10:26 PM

I just installed an HD system, using a Samsung SIRT-151 OTA tuner. I've had Dish now for about 4-1/2 yrs, using an old JVC-5000 sat receiver. I run locals (Houston area) through a 20 yr old Radio Shack outdoor VHF/UHF combo antenna installed in the attic using 300 ohm cable with OK reception. After installing the HD system, the OTA receiver picked up most of the Houston DT signals but with significant dropout on 2 channels and could not pick up one of the independent stations (52-DT). As I just spent a bunch on the HD system, I was more than disasppointed. I decided to attempt improving my digital OTA signal by changing out the 300 ohm wire with coax ( 50 ft.) using a 75 ohm tranformer at the antenna head and installing a Radio Shack in-line powered in-line amplifier. All together, this was about a $60 dollar investment. After the installation I now have excellent reception on all channels and was able to pick-up the independent station I could not receive before. I split the signal to the 5000 (as a backup signal). I don't have the HD modulator for the 5000, figuring I would wait to upgrade the UHF style receiver in a few months (when I catch up on resources.) My only problem now is the Dish remote doesn't seem to recognize the Samsung receiver when I scan for codes (any help appreciated). I hope this may help anyone with signal issues.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...