Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How are you receiving your local HDTV broadcasts?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   sampatterson

sampatterson

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 10:17 AM

Most DTV is broadcast in the UHF spectrum, but not all.

Correct, Atlanta Digital Channel 10 (NBC Analog 11) is in the VHF range so need a combo antenna to get it (where I am at least, in Marietta)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Eagles

Eagles

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:56 PM

[/QUOTE]
Does anyone have any recommendations for an antenna setup that will give me the strongest possible signal? I know I will need a rotor as I need to bounce between New York and Philly....[/QUOTE]

Bob,
As I said in the post I referred you to in the "BROADCAST FORUM" check out this site http://www.tvantenna...umfeatures.html
Ask for Ben. He even went as far as to send me an excel spreadsheet of the stations I should be able to receive based on my location and his calculations.
It was pretty accurate. This guy is "INTO" ota reception. I purchased my pre-amp, antenna and eaves mount from him. I bought the rotor, masting and guy wires from Lowes. Based on his recommendations, I went with the "YAGI"
style over the "BOWTIE". I went with the Winegard HD-9095P with an AP-4800 pre-amp and a Channel Master 9521A remote control rotor. The yagi I purchased is 8' long, but it's light and doesn't really look that bad. I'll try to attach some pictures. Also, if your going to mount to your eaves, get a heavy duty mount, and remember for the distance your looking to receive from, "the higher the better".

#43 OFFLINE   speedcouch

speedcouch

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 01:21 PM

Just curious how everyone is receiving their local OTA digital channels. After doing some research, I decided to go ahead and install a rotator on my antenna because a couple of my local digitals are in different directions. Does anyone else here require a rotator? Just curious. With the antenna pictured below, I get 80 to 90% signal strengths on my locals through the 8VSB module on my Dish 6000 receiver.

Feel free to post a picture of your antenna.

We have a roof antenna we had installed in Jan 02 just for the local digitals. We live directly east of Washington DC and southeast of Baltimore, MD, so we had to have the rotor to get both cities (Imagine a triangle). CBS from DC is awesome and seldom breaks up. Fox is reliable 75% of the time, but NBC is simply horrible, breaking up about 60% of the time. I've posted on other boards and no one else seems to have trouble with them, so I guess it's not that their broadcasting at low signal or anything.

We're using the Sony HD100 and I've read that it has a problem tuning in OTA channels. I'd love to unload it somewhere and get the HDTivo, but [believe it or not] my spouse would have a fit if I spent the money on another A/V toy right now. Haha! And you think it's only men who have that problem!

Baltimore channels all come in pretty well, but FOX and NBC "stretch" their pictures to make them widescreen and the picture looks too washed out to me. Also, doing that makes it appear like it's not even HD (when something is actually in HD).

Cheryl
Samsung HL-T5089S
Samsung LN32A550
Two HR20-100s
HR10-250
Panasonic DMR-E30S DVD Recorder
DirecTV since Aug 1995
Kenwood Home Theater VR-7060
Four JBL S310 II Speakers
JBL S Center II
XM Radio since May 2004

#44 OFFLINE   rcbridge

rcbridge

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 01:29 PM

{All of the Philly stations are UHF based..... I'm not sure about the New York stations, but I think they are as well......}As of this time all the Philadelphia stations are UHF.
I receive my OTA HD using a RS double bow-tie with a Motorola signal booster, I am about 25 miles west of the antenna farm in Roxborough, I also pick up the DT stations from Allentown if I reorient my antenna. :)

#45 OFFLINE   Lije Baley

Lije Baley

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 08:35 PM

I'm 30 to 35 miles from the local towers. I put a CM 4221 in the attic (composition shingles on the roof and wood walls) and receive all the locals (and one from 60 miles away) in the low to mid-nineties on my HD-Tivo.

#46 Guest_memory1_*

Guest_memory1_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2004 - 11:38 AM

In the orange county area south of Los Angeles, even though the main area of transmitters is 45 miles away, I use a silver sensor mounted in my attic. The reception is great I get all the channels with no problems.

#47 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 10:24 PM

I am using a plain old terk 44 clip on atenna on my sat dish. I get all 3 of my digital locals in the Beaumont area. I also get the analog versions as well. I recently repeaked the atenna and now get solid strength on all of my channels with a 90 or above. NO MORE FADE OUTS. My 921 is running great now. I can set recordings and watch with no crazy jitteryness or freezes . I love this antenna.

#48 Guest_lou_do_*

Guest_lou_do_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2004 - 08:38 PM

Digitals, what digitals!! I had to get a homeowners assoc. approval to install dish on the igloo!! LOL

Our locals are saying they will go digital in May.

Got the same problem here, but installed a small antenna and amp in the attic. I am about 50 miles from Orlando Florida and get all of their digitals great. They are on the air when I loose my DirecTV signals, due toi rain fade.

spam firewall