Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Assistance needed Seagate Free Agent Pro 750

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   shoelessjoe

shoelessjoe

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:36 PM

I just purchased a Seagate FreeAgent Pro 750 at Costco (2 days ago) and hooked it up to my HR20 - 700. I pulled the plug, etc. and when it reset (I tried this several times)...it is still using the internal drive. Any thoughts to what I am doing wrong?

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:41 PM

I just purchased a Seagate FreeAgent Pro 750 at Costco (2 days ago) and hooked it up to my HR20 - 700. I pulled the plug, etc. and when it reset (I tried this several times)...it is still using the internal drive. Any thoughts to what I am doing wrong?

Some of the eSATA cables out there do fit right and some people have had to trim the plastic on the side that connects to the HR20 to make it fit tighter.

If it is not connect tight it will not work. You can try to press it in and hold it while starting up the HR20 to see if that works. If so you will probably have to trim the cable.

#3 OFFLINE   shoelessjoe

shoelessjoe

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 04:15 PM

Some of the eSATA cables out there do fit right and some people have had to trim the plastic on the side that connects to the HR20 to make it fit tighter.

If it is not connect tight it will not work. You can try to press it in and hold it while starting up the HR20 to see if that works. If so you will probably have to trim the cable.

I have tried that once and the receiver just hung up. How long does it take for the hard drive to initialize?

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

#4 OFFLINE   shoelessjoe

shoelessjoe

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 04:17 PM

Actually, the esata cable I have fits smug in the HR20 but not in the free agent.

Mark Twain

#5 OFFLINE   DonCorleone

DonCorleone

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 05:36 PM

Actually, the esata cable I have fits smug in the HR20 but not in the free agent.

Then it sounds like you might want to try a new cable. To answer your question, mine started right up...very simple.
DirecTV since 2001, NFLST, EI, and as of 2/8/07, new AU-9 with 2 HR20-700S (1 HDMI, 1 component/RCA), 6X8 multiswitch, and Samsung LNS3252D 32" LCD...eSata Seagate 750GB...12/30/07 new HR20-700S component connected to Phillips 42PFL5332D 42" LCD and HDMI to a little 20" Dynex LCD

#6 OFFLINE   shoelessjoe

shoelessjoe

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:20 PM

I just got it working...actually I took the hard drive back to Costco and replaced it...the new one works. Thanks for all your help. Deductive reasoning wins out here. The other hard drive wouldn't even light up. This one did as soon as I plugged it into the receiver.

Mark Twain

#7 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:21 PM

I just got it working...actually I took the hard drive back to Costco and replaced it...the new one works. Thanks for all your help. Deductive reasoning wins out here. The other hard drive wouldn't even light up. This one did as soon as I plugged it into the receiver.

Glad to hear you got it working.

#8 OFFLINE   kfcrosby

kfcrosby

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:14 AM

Sounds like a cable problem. I have the SIIG which works flawlessly

Kevin Crosby
Memphis, TN
DirecTV subscriber since 1996

Protected By... spam firewall...And...