Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SeaGate FAP 750GB or Western Digital 1TB + enclosure

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   tombet

tombet

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 02:19 PM

You're right - I overstated the true requirements for data transfer rates, and as you point out, that just strengthens the evidence that the WD (and most every other modern 3.5 SATA drive) is plenty fast enough. (Thanks for the info about ATSC bitrates .) Tom Robertson makes some good points too about overpadding and DoD. With everything fully loaded (2 shows overpadded, ATSC, watch an ATSC, download DoD - 20MB/sec is still more than you'd actually see, so not a bad high end number to throw around to be really comfortable in the high end needs, and pretty much every new SATA drive today can handle that. So though I like my Hitachi 1TB Deskstar, its sort of like having a Porsche 911 to drive in the 55MPH zone.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jondiehl

jondiehl

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:10 PM

The Kingwin JT-35E showed up this afternoon. 5min later and my 1TB drive was up and running on the HR20. Still downloading programming data to setup my series recordings, but everything is working great. I threw a heavy load at it and made a few OTA recordings, watching a previously recorded OTA show, then made two at the same time. No issues, no slowdowns.
DVR's:
D* HR20-700 (upgraded with an internal 2TB drive)
D* HR21-700 (upgraded with an internal 1TB drive)
D* HR24-500
D* HR24-500

#23 OFFLINE   brianct1972

brianct1972

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:35 PM

Just returned my Hitachi Deskstar 1TB to Best Buy. It failed last night while I was watching Dexter. I swapped esata cables, rebooted at least 5 times...nothing. It froze right in the middle of the episode. I had been having problems with the drive being recognized by the HR20-700. I wasnt sure if it was the -700, the Kingwin enclosure or the Hitachi drive. I am returning the Kingwin as well, I really dont like how the esata cable almost pinches inside the case.

Not sure which was to go now, I wish the Free Agent Pro came in a 1TB model.

#24 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:57 PM

The Western Digital Caviar GP 1TB I got on sale for $279.99

The BB sales is over but you can get this same drive for $287 shipped (plus no tax depending on where you are).

https://www.zipzoomf...ctCode=10007017
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#25 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:59 PM

The BB sales is over but you can get this same drive for $287 shipped (plus no tax depending on where you are).

https://www.zipzoomf...ctCode=10007017

Son of a B*!
They just lowered it to $285 (right after I ordered it). :( :lol:
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...