Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

On Demand Discussion: Main Menu (Channel 1000)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,870 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:24 PM

General discussion thread for Channel 1000, the DIRECTV On Demand Main Menu.

Please feel free to discuss your experiences, as well as:

The layout of the page
Usability Issues
Quality of Programming
Quantity of Programing

DIRECTV is looking for your feedback... the goal is continuous improvement.

Ready, Set, Go!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jes

jes

Icon

• Registered
  • 897 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 12:43 AM

Which satellite is channel 1000 on?

#3 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 12:54 AM

I know I've said it before, more HD.

As for background, not as good as others. Travel channel's background is great! One of the easiest to read.

#4 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,730 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:43 AM

The main menu on Channel 1000 is the launching point for all DoD content, and as such, it should be intuitively easy to use, as easy as any other menu within the GUI.

Unfortunately, DIRECTV broke with their own GUI conventions by disabling the CH-UP and CH-DN keys on the DoD menu as navigation keys to move to the top and bottom of the menu. Instead, if a user presses CH-DN on the main DoD menu, the user is thrown out of DoD and sent to an XM music station that hosts raunchy disc jokeys.

This behavior needs to be curtailed - users get to DoD from the Quick Menu, using a menu system, the user will anticipate that the screen that appears is another menu, and it should act like one.

See the poll in my signature to cast your vote on how navigation should work in DoD menus, including the starting point, the main page.

#5 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:48 AM

The main menu on Channel 1000 is the launching point for all DoD content, and as such, it should be intuitively easy to use, as easy as any other menu within the GUI.

Unfortunately, DIRECTV broke with their own GUI conventions by disabling the CH-UP and CH-DN keys on the DoD menu as navigation keys to move to the top and bottom of the menu. Instead, if a user presses CH-DN on the main DoD menu, the user is thrown out of DoD and sent to an XM music station that hosts raunchy disc jokeys.

This behavior needs to be curtailed - users get to DoD from the Quick Menu, using a menu system, the user will anticipate that the screen that appears is another menu, and it should act like one.

See the poll in my signature to cast your vote on how navigation should work in DoD menus, including the starting point, the main page.

Funny thing is, they actually had this enabled on one of the CE releases and it was GREAT!! Next CE, they dumped it... Not sure why. I'd definately like to see this changed the way Drew2k mentions as I'm sure you all know by now as I post it just about every time. ;)

For a bit of fun/spice on the DoD 1000 channel - if possible they should make that center screen have some motion, a couple previews of new things playing at random from the other DoD channels.

I did a search for HD items the other day and it came up empty. I am sure they will offer HD programs in time but I'm so spoiled right now(I blame DIRECTV - they're the ones bringing me all this great HD content!! :D), it's hard to bring myself to download/watch SD programs.
- Andy
My Setup - (Computer Setup Included)
HR20-700 - / - / H20-100 -
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE<-- to DBSTalk.com and become a DBSTalk Club Member!

#6 OFFLINE   jes

jes

Icon

• Registered
  • 897 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 04:44 PM

I noticed the CH-UP and CH-DN problem as well, but it's not consistant. When you're down a few levels, it does work...

#7 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,730 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 06:37 PM

I noticed the CH-UP and CH-DN problem as well, but it's not consistant. When you're down a few levels, it does work...

If you're talking about when you drill down into the sub-menus, you're exactly right: This is completely inconsitent, and is only going to frustrate users.

#8 OFFLINE   Koz

Koz

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 07:58 PM

For a bit of fun/spice on the DoD 1000 channel - if possible they should make that center screen have some motion, a couple previews of new things playing at random from the other DoD channels.

Some motion would be nice, but I don't want anything with sound. I like being able to browse DoD while watching a show in the PiG.

On my fiance's cable VoD, it has video that plays while you browse showing new shows, special features, etc. It's just loud and annoying in my opinion.
HR20-700 HR21-700 R15-500

#9 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:58 PM

Some motion would be nice, but I don't want anything with sound. I like being able to browse DoD while watching a show in the PiG.

I hear ya and have to agree. I also make the mention AS LONG AS it does NOT cause any of the surfing/menu movement to become slower or unstable. :) A quick surf experience is a must. ;)
- Andy
My Setup - (Computer Setup Included)
HR20-700 - / - / H20-100 -
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE<-- to DBSTalk.com and become a DBSTalk Club Member!

#10 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,730 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 10:22 PM

Agreed - limited motion is fine, but audio is not.

One of the reasons I don't like to use Active is because of the audio that I have no control over ...

#11 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 10:42 PM

Which satellite is channel 1000 on?

It's not on a satellite, because it's not a real channel. It's just an interface.

#12 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 10:44 PM

I agree that it would be nice, but it would be impossible to do without completely changing the VOD system. They would have to make 1000 an actual channel like Active (channel 9999), and you would then lose the Picture in Graphics because the receiver would have to tune away from the channel you were watching.

#13 OFFLINE   VandyCWG

VandyCWG

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 11:04 PM

On my fiance's cable VoD, it has video that plays while you browse showing new shows, special features, etc. It's just loud and annoying in my opinion.

I agree with the motion.....I could see a streamed preview of a PPV or last weeks episode of "CHUCK" from NBC or something like that. I do believe that motion would add a TON to the front screen.

Another thing I would like to see, if a section on the left column for PPV movies only. I think that would help drive people, myself included, to the PPV's and help generate paying DoD users.

Does anyone know how often the 1000 channel will be updated/changed?

Also, Jeremy, I would't think they would need to change the whole system...Currently, we can hit play on a preview, and it pulls right up. I do believe previews are downloaded beforehand to speed that up. I would think just adding a call function to automatically play would solve the motion issue.

Spring Hill, TN (Nashville DMA)

Receiving Equipment: SWM 3 Slimline | Full DECA cloud
Living Room: Mini C31 | LG 55" LED
Bonus Room: HR44-700 | Sharp 70" 3D LED | Sony STR-DN1040 | PS3 | Slingbox Pro-HD | Slingbox SOLO
Master Bedroom: HR24-500 | Westinghouse 40"
Man Cave: Mini C31 | 
LG 55" LED
Computer/Networking: Windows 7 /WMP12 | Netgear R6300 | 50/5 Charter HSI
Mobile Phones Verizon - Droid Razr MAXX, Rooted 4.1.1

#14 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 11:12 PM

Currently, we can hit play on a preview, and it pulls right up.

While disabling the PIG window. That was my point.

#15 OFFLINE   CaMS

CaMS

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:11 AM

CH-UP and CH-DN is a must.. Drew bought up a good point, when you press down on the left nav. is goes to a XM channel that using bad language... My wife was on 1000 with my daughter in the room, pressed CH-DN and you don't even want to know what the hell those disc jockeys where saying..

PPV section i think is also a must

Motion would be cool too, it would help to have some trailers on there.. so when people don't know what to watch maybe then they can get some idea's from seeing the previews\trialers

Protected By... spam firewall...And...