Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

R15-300 0x10AC Discussion / Issues

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:13 AM

R15-300 : 0x10AC

Version 0x10AC is now a national release for the system.
Release notes can be found at: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=105401

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Greg D

Greg D

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:18 PM

I got this last night, and it bricked my DVR. I get the message "Good Box Gone Bad" and it won't even boot.

Now another's on the way, but I'm SOL until Tuesday when it gets here. To compensate me for the trouble, I get free shipping here and back - which kind of begs the question, why I would have to pay shipping at *all* on a leased device.

Pardon my mini-rant, I'm a little overly irritated right now...

#3 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:19 PM

You actually get a message on your screennn.. : "Good Box Gone Bad"

What happened to your system? (aka... why do you think it Bricked it)

What is going on with it?
What kind of troubleshooting did you do with it?
Ect....
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   Greg D

Greg D

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:24 PM

You actually get a message on your screennn.. : "Good Box Gone Bad"

What happened to your system? (aka... why do you think it Bricked it)

What is going on with it?
What kind of troubleshooting did you do with it?
Ect....

EDIT: I'm an idiot. I have a -500, I'll post in that thread. Sorry to waste your time ;-)

#5 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:35 PM

Finally got 0x10AC (R15-300 national release) Yuk!!

In the playlist, shows recorded since the update show "10/..." as the date recorded!

Very informative. Now I have to go to the HISTORY to see actual date recorded. (If it's still IN the history file, that is)

Today while watching a recording of "The Price is Right" it terminated during the final commercial break. Who won the #$*$#@!# showcase?????

I see the DirecTV screen saver is fixed. Whoppee.

Looking at SETTINGS/INFO & TEST the history file shows it has 69 entries. In real life it only contains 50 which is the maximum and is also correctly listed if viewed from the SCHEDULER menu/display.

Sunday, November 4 must be a special day. If you bring up the program guide and then select MENU/DATE & TIME it is listed twice.

GAME LOUNGE still doesn't work.

Sorry, but I'm in a grumpy mood today... :mad:

#6 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:48 PM

Sunday, November 4 must be a special day. If you bring up the program guide and then select MENU/DATE & TIME it is listed twice.

It is... that is the day we change our clocks...
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:03 PM

It is... that is the day we change our clocks...

AH HA!!

OK, that makes some sort of sense. But October, November, and December have always required 2 digits to define the month numerically. So why did the date field SHRINK between 0x10AB and 0xAC such that dates don't display in the playlist? (And only on shows recorded SINCE the 0x10AC update, too!!) Shows recorded earlier in October still show the entire date in the playlist.

And why isn't the so-called "14 day program guide" never longer than 12.5 days and even less on weekends? I see it now ends at 6PM CDT usually the previous day or the day before that. (I.E. if today is Thursday, your "14 day" program guide ends at 6PM CDT on TUESDAY or WEDNESDAY) I bet this applies system-wide on all receivers with the so-called "14 day program guide".

#8 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:07 PM

AH HA!!

OK, that makes some sort of sense. But October, November, and December have always required 2 digits to define the month numerically. So why did the date field SHRINK between 0x10AB and 0xAC such that dates don't display in the playlist? (And only on shows recorded SINCE the 0x10AC update, too!!) Shows recorded earlier in October still show the entire date in the playlist.

And why isn't the so-called "14 day program guide" never longer than 12.5 days and even less on weekends? I see it now ends at 6PM CDT usually the previous day or the day before that. (I.E. if today is Thursday, your "14 day" program guide ends at 6PM CDT on TUESDAY or WEDNESDAY) I bet this applies system-wide on all receivers with the so-called "14 day program guide".

Don't know what changed in the font... or why it is just for those.

As for the 14 day program guide...
That is how it has always been... the last 1 or 2 days, have always been partially populated.... Could be what they are getting from TMS... or just the priority in the guide data stream that the last 2 days get.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#9 OFFLINE   Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 04:11 PM

Mrs. Enginerd reports the following bug on our R15-300 running 0x10AC

---

Usually before 3:00 PM PDT - a message would pop up on screen saying that Ellen D. show was scheduled to record and that the channel would be changing. I would hit, ok then the program would come on/record as usual.

Yesterday, TV was on but I don't recall seeing the message pop up- the channel did not change and nothing was being recorded. At 3:55 I noticed this and went into the guide in order to tune into the channel and catch the last few minutes of the show- when I went into the guide, the record icon was shown next to Ellen and when I tuned in the show, the record light went on.

Again today the same thing happened. Except today the TV was off all afternoon and when I turned it on at 3:45 or so, it was on channel 3- when I went into guide to tune into channel 10 (Ellen) the record icon was there and it started recording when I turned the channel.

---

We have performed a menu reset and the issue remains.

R15-300 is connected to legacy 1 on our 5ch SWM with just a SINGLE tuner.

EDIT: And yes, this is my wifes DVR! :) But she does a pretty good job of reporting a bug IMO!

If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything.
- Emmett "Doc" Brown

DirecTV since 2006

#10 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:05 PM

---

Usually before 3:00 PM PDT - a message would pop up on screen saying that Ellen D. show was scheduled to record and that the channel would be changing. I would hit, ok then the program would come on/record as usual.

Yesterday, TV was on but I don't recall seeing the message pop up- the channel did not change and nothing was being recorded. At 3:55 I noticed this and went into the guide in order to tune into the channel and catch the last few minutes of the show- when I went into the guide, the record icon was shown next to Ellen and when I tuned in the show, the record light went on.

Again today the same thing happened. Except today the TV was off all afternoon and when I turned it on at 3:45 or so, it was on channel 3- when I went into guide to tune into channel 10 (Ellen) the record icon was there and it started recording when I turned the channel.

---

EDIT: And yes, this is my wifes DVR! :) But she does a pretty good job of reporting a bug IMO!

Check for the presence of the show in the TO DO list. It may appear in the guide with the "R" but not in the TO DO list (somehow, they get out of sync). If this happens, go to the show in the guide and press the "R" button to cycle through the R))) (if it's a series) to no "R" at all, to just the "R" appearing. Now go to the TO DO list and PRESTO! it's magically there and the show will record.

This is a "leftover" bug from the 0x10AB CE release that has already been reported (but apparently not fixed).

#11 OFFLINE   dvrstarrz

dvrstarrz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 06:36 AM

---

---

I am having the same issue with my box. I check my TO DO list every day to make sure what I want recorded is actually scheduled to record. Last night I was watching a recorded show and had Moonlight and Women's Murder Club scheduled to record. When the recorded show was over I noticed my 2nd tuner wasn't on either show, so quickly checked the Playlist. Moonlight was recording but WMC wasn't listed. When I tuned to WMC the box started recording it. 16 minutes into the show.

Another issue is the "black out" which occurs when both tuners need to start recording while you are watching a recorded show. It's gettinng long enough for the viewer to be concerned the box has turned off.

R15-300

#12 OFFLINE   Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 12:35 PM

I am having the same issue with my box. I check my TO DO list every day to make sure what I want recorded is actually scheduled to record. Last night I was watching a recorded show and had Moonlight and Women's Murder Club scheduled to record. When the recorded show was over I noticed my 2nd tuner wasn't on either show, so quickly checked the Playlist. Moonlight was recording but WMC wasn't listed. When I tuned to WMC the box started recording it. 16 minutes into the show.

I just read your post to my wife and she said your explanation is spot on.

If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything.
- Emmett "Doc" Brown

DirecTV since 2006

#13 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:08 PM

Happy Halloween everyone!! Here's how to avoid the "tricks"!!

Manual Recordings

When will software authors learn about hard-coding things? I thought they all learned after the Y2K scenario but no....

If you schedule a MANUAL RECORDING this week look out!! The software that schedules the recording thinks daylight savings time still ends the last Sunday in October so your recordings will appear in the TO DO list AN HOUR LATE!! The fix? Easy....just schedule your recordings to start AN HOUR EARLIER. Then check the TO DO list.

Jumping around the program guide

When the program guide is displayed, it's very convenient to bring up the quick menu and choose DATE/TIME and then jump. BUT once again the software experts that designed 0x10AC didn't do their homework on daylight savings time. As a result, 11/4 appears TWICE and if you select a date AFTER 11/4 you will be looking at the guide a day LATER THAN YOU WANTED. So be sure to push the RED button on your remote twice if you fall for this "trick".

Hopefully, these stupid bugs will disappear after next Sunday (11/4/07) and even more hopefully the software wizards will FIX this before next spring when daylight saving time starts THREE weeks earlier than in the past...

#14 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:44 PM

Don't believe what you see in the program guide. Don't believe what you see in the playlist. But believe what you see in the TO DO list!!

Series Link

I wouldn't trust the reliability of series link any farther than I can throw a medicine ball (and I have a bad back). Sometimes, for no apparent reason, a show is just NOT recorded. (And, no, it's not the guide or the box because I have TWO R15's and one will record the show and one will skip it!!) You MUST check that TO DO list EVERY DAY.

Guide & TO DO list Synchronization

This is a big problem. Want to see how easy it is to get them out of sync? Schedule a series link that has more than one instance during the next 2 weeks (a daily soap opera, variety show, or game show is a good choice). Now go into the TO DO list and pick just one of the episodes. Click on it, choose RECORD ONCE and then cancel it. (The other series link episodes will remain).

Now, go to the program guide and view the episode you just canceled the record on. Oh-oh, that big "R" is still there!!! But don't bet the farm that it's going to be recorded....

Sometimes you will manually select a show to be recorded by using the "one touch" record function while highlighting the show in the guide. BE SURE TO CHECK THE TO DO LIST THE DAY THE SHOW IS TO RECORD or you might find it magically missing. And guess what kids? If it ain't in the TO DO list, it ain't gonna record. Trust me.

Trouble with the "live buffer"

If you have a show scheduled to record on the same channel the unit is tuned to, it will record but when the show is over it will remain in the "live buffer". It may or may not appear in the playlist and if it does it may still have the "R" on it indicating that it is still being recorded. If you flip the unit on and notice this scenario, tune to another channel BEFORE trying to view the show. This updates the PLAYLIST and erases the rest of the live buffer. If you make the mistake of trying to watch the show by rewinding the live buffer, you may get a cute message that says "LIVE BUFFER has saved <name of show>. Do you want to keep or delete it?" DON'T EVER TELL IT TO DELETE IT or guess what? The live buffer is gone and so may be any shows recorded on that channel during the past few hours (lots more than the previous 90 minutes)

If you are going to record two shows at once, and then you turn the unit on and decide to watch one of the shows (before it's done being recorded), you could be in for a nasty "would you like to keep or delete" message a few minutes before the show you are watching is over (just about the perfect timing to miss the ending of the show!) How to avoid this? Be sure the show you would like to watch is on the channel the unit is tuned to (and is building a live buffer on). I. E. Let's say you want to record show #1 on channel A at 9:00PM. You also want to record show #2 on channel B at the same time. You also plan on watching show #1 when you get home from shopping even if it is being recorded and the recording is not done. (Like you get home at 9:30). Before you leave, be sure to tune the unit to channel A before you leave. This little "gotcha" has really frazzled me more than once and this seems to be what sets it up (and how to avoid it).

#15 OFFLINE   jmacvean

jmacvean

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:30 PM

I just got an R15-300. It updated to this code on the second reboot. I set it up in RF mode for the remote. When I hit fastforward it will go about 10-15 minutes into the program before it will respond again. It doesn't do this every time, but a lot of the times....probably 3 out of 10. Any ideas?
HR20-700:)
R15-300:( :( :( :(
Sanyo 720p - HDMI:D
Logitech Harmony 880:)

#16 OFFLINE   jmacvean

jmacvean

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:14 AM

Last night and this morning it started doing something new. The screen saver comes up when watching TV. How long has the R15-300 been out? I don't think it should still be having stupid issues like this. I got a HR20-700 when they first came out and don't want to have to go through the growing pains again.
HR20-700:)
R15-300:( :( :( :(
Sanyo 720p - HDMI:D
Logitech Harmony 880:)

#17 OFFLINE   ronandi

ronandi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 09:27 AM

I've only noticed this since the 10AC update.
If I'm recording two shows at the same time, lets say 8pm to 9pm, and then another show 9pm to 10pm, the last show does not record even though the guide lists it as a series link. I assume these first two shows may have ended after the 9pm show starts and the R15 isn't able to start recording a third show. Shouldn't the SL cause the last show to still record even if it starts a little late?
Or is this a new glitch?

#18 OFFLINE   15_Off

15_Off

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:24 AM

R-15 300 Issue:

Im not sure if this is an issue related to this release. During the last few days, I have noticed my locals (pulled from 72.5) are screwy. Every now and then in the evening, not every day though, my banner and info show the proper show information, but the programming does not match. For example, my local CBS will show correct banner/info but ESPN is the program playing, NBC and ABC had Gem Shopping Network and Soap Channel.

Thuis usually corrects itself the next morning, but then at night (although not every night) it does it again.

This happened to me earlier this year and DTV was at a loss and sent a tech who replaced my multiswitch and it has been working fine up until a week or so ago.

DTV today wants me to re run autoconfigure on the unit.

Any thoughts??

#19 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 08:36 AM

R-15 300 Issue:

Im not sure if this is an issue related to this release. During the last few days, I have noticed my locals (pulled from 72.5) are screwy. Every now and then in the evening, not every day though, my banner and info show the proper show information, but the programming does not match. For example, my local CBS will show correct banner/info but ESPN is the program playing, NBC and ABC had Gem Shopping Network and Soap Channel.

Thuis usually corrects itself the next morning, but then at night (although not every night) it does it again.

Any thoughts??

I had the same thing happen a few months ago. The computer got corrupted. Re-booting solved the problem.

#20 OFFLINE   15_Off

15_Off

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 05:14 PM

I had the same thing happen a few months ago. The computer got corrupted. Re-booting solved the problem.

Called DTV today, tech coming monday. However this afternoon I saw a tech in my neighborhood and I asked him about the issue. He said it is a problem with the multiswitch after the latest software upgrade. This makes sense, since it did not happen until after the latest upgrade.

He said to the new switch should do it. I currently have the Zinwell 6x8. I have no idea what he will replace it with.

I will keep you posted.

D

spam firewall