Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

General DoD Discussion

• Please log in to reply
407 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:04 AM

A general thread where people can post their views and opinions about the DoD service
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   dervari

dervari

Icon

• Registered
  • 777 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:06 AM

My view is that right now there's not much I care to see. I'm really hoping they'll get more series programming from both the Big 4 as well as cable networks. We just started watching Dog and would love to see some older episodes.

#3 OFFLINE   mauijiminar

mauijiminar

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:09 AM

When will we all get the update for the VOD? I cant wait!

#4 OFFLINE   digitalfreak

digitalfreak

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:09 AM

According to the FAQ, programs will be available for free or a small fee. Is this just for the beta, or will it be that way for release as well?

I really doubt I'll find much use for this, since I record what I want when it airs, but nice to have just the same.

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:11 AM

When will we all get the update for the VOD? I cant wait!

If you are on an HR20-700... then the staggered release has started today... so it can still be a few days. HR20-100... probably at least a few weeks away.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:11 AM

According to the FAQ, programs will be available for free or a small fee. Is this just for the beta, or will it be that way for release as well?

It will be this way... as even though it is still in "beta" mode... it is released.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#7 OFFLINE   Dr_J

Dr_J

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:16 AM

Do I have to stay connected to the Internet continuously until DirecTV activates my DoD account, or will I be good to go from the get-go and can just connect and use when I want to?

#8 OFFLINE   Sailorman

Sailorman

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:17 AM

If you are on an HR20-700... then the staggered release has started today... so it can still be a few days. HR20-100... probably at least a few weeks away.

W

When will it be available on the HR21-700?

#9 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Do I have to stay connected to the Internet continuously until DirecTV activates my DoD account, or will I be good to go from the get-go and can just connect and use when I want to?

You should leave it connected... not sure what the results would be if you keep pulling/reconnecting the connection
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#10 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

W

When will it be available on the HR21-700?

No ETA for the HR21-700
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#11 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 846 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:22 AM

Is there any rhyme or reason to the roll out? Will it be by region (zip) or by random chance?

Also, Whats the word on VOD for the premiums that we subscribe? (HBO, Showtime)
Or even the Major Networks? Thats where all the shows that I want to watch are (or at least where my recording conflicts exist and I can't record a third show at the same time)

#12 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 846 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:23 AM

Oh, that makes me think. What if I am recording two shows at the same time, and want to watch VOD? Will that work? or will it be a recording confilct?

#13 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,356 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:28 AM

VOD recordings are separate from other recordings, so you shouldn't have any such conflicts.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#14 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:29 AM

Oh, that makes me think. What if I am recording two shows at the same time, and want to watch VOD? Will that work? or will it be a recording confilct?

The DoD stream... is a "THIRD" tuner.... so you won't have any conflicts.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#15 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:31 AM

Is there any rhyme or reason to the roll out? Will it be by region (zip) or by random chance?

Also, Whats the word on VOD for the premiums that we subscribe? (HBO, Showtime)
Or even the Major Networks? Thats where all the shows that I want to watch are (or at least where my recording conflicts exist and I can't record a third show at the same time)

Yes there is rhyme and reason to the rollout, usually by region (zip)... usually goes WEST to EAST.

As for premiums (and content)....... as the service grows... yes there will be more options... and hopefully more from the other "traditional" Major Networks.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#16 OFFLINE   msmith198025

msmith198025

Member of the Year

• Registered
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:41 AM

Yes there is rhyme and reason to the rollout, usually by region (zip)... usually goes WEST to EAST.

As for premiums (and content)....... as the service grows... yes there will be more options... and hopefully more from the other "traditional" Major Networks.

thanks for the info earl!

#17 OFFLINE   dan8379

dan8379

Godfather

• Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:51 AM

You should leave it connected... not sure what the results would be if you keep pulling/reconnecting the connection

I had this same question as it's not practical with my setup to keep the network cable continously connected. Once the software download hits, will everyone be able to access the DOD menu, even if they don't have a network connection? Obviously they wouldn't be able to download anything, but will channel 1000 still show up?

#18 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:56 AM

I had this same question as it's not practical with my setup to keep the network cable continously connected. Once the software download hits, will everyone be able to access the DOD menu, even if they don't have a network connection? Obviously they wouldn't be able to download anything, but will channel 1000 still show up?

Again... I don't know what will happen if you continuely disconnect and reconnect the connection.

Why isn't it practical?

Would a wireless connection be more practical?
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#19 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 846 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:59 AM

Hey Earl, If it hasn't been said yet today; "You da Man!" Thanks for all the info, insight, comprehensive answers.

I can't imagine how hard it is sometimes to see everthing we post here, and know the answers to our questions or the complete story to a given situation where we are using the shot gun approach to try and give our best guess and you have to hold on to it until a National Roll Out occurs or D* gives a press release.

It's got to be up there with George W not being able to tell us when or where the most recent threat was prevented, nor the "methods" used to find that information out.

#20 OFFLINE   skessel

skessel

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:01 AM

For a variety of reasons, I had to disconnect my HR20-700 for the network for a whole week. Channel 1000 never went away and I was able to watch content that was completely downloaded.... Still not sure about stability of that feature when disconnected, but that's just my experience. :)
Sebastian

---
Bedroom: 1 HR20-700, Hanns 32' (Networked)
Living Room: 1 HR20-100, Vizio 37'

Protected By... spam firewall...And...