Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

General DoD Discussion

• Please log in to reply
407 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:01 AM

Hey Earl, If it hasn't been said yet today; "You da Man!" Thanks for all the info, insight, comprehensive answers.

I can't imagine how hard it is sometimes to see everthing we post here, and know the answers to our questions or the complete story to a given situation where we are using the shot gun approach to try and give our best guess and you have to hold on to it until a National Roll Out occurs or D* gives a press release.

It's got to be up there with George W not being able to tell us when or where the most recent threat was prevented, nor the "methods" used to find that information out.

I don't think it is at that same level....

But thanks for the comments.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jwebb1970

jwebb1970

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:05 AM

Personally can't wait to get DoD (part of the -100 nation myself).

OnDemand was the one real good thing about Comcast. Looks like DoD shares some programming with them (concert.tv and many of the cable/sat channels).

As far as network stuff, Comcast in my area carried most CBS dramas, as well as Survivor, OnDemand (original CSI & JERICHO were also available HD/5.1). ABC offered 2-3 shows, also with an HD option. NBC ran their fall preview pilots in HD for about a month OnDemand.

Would imagine, given D*'s nationwide coverage and corporate pull, that all the nets will offer programming OnDemand to them at some point.

Now...just wondering if I should go wireless for internet connection to by HR20 or just run an ethernet cable...? Hard wired would be cheaper, I think, but wireless is so sexy ;)

As to that....would I need a wireless router and some sort of "receiver" to plug into the HR20? My internet service is DSL, if that matters.
"I'm really only an Atheist on Christmas and Easter. The rest of the time---it really doesn't matter." - Dr. House

#23 OFFLINE   dan8379

dan8379

Godfather

• Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:06 AM

Again... I don't know what will happen if you continuely disconnect and reconnect the connection.

Why isn't it practical?

Would a wireless connection be more practical?

My router is across the room and I don't have a great way to run cable. I could do wireless, but honestly I'm not sure how much I'll even use this and I'd like to be able to play around with it before I decide to set that up.

Back to my other question, though, will someone with no network set up at all be able to even see channel 1000?

#24 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:07 AM

Hard-Wired is always my preferred method....

Wireless should only be used:
1) If there is absolutley no way to do wired (Both cost and physical limitations)
2) The device is mobile.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#25 OFFLINE   jwebb1970

jwebb1970

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:11 AM

1) If there is absolutley no way to do wired (Both cost and physical limitations)
2) The device is mobile.

You just helped answer my wired/wireless question w/o realizing it, Earl!:D

In my case, hard wired isn't a problem - other than getting enough ethernet cabling to run from the closest phone line (DSL) to the living room.
"I'm really only an Atheist on Christmas and Easter. The rest of the time---it really doesn't matter." - Dr. House

#26 OFFLINE   mfeinstein

mfeinstein

Godfather

• Registered
  • 325 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:12 AM

2) The device is mobile.

I have been using VOD for a week or so from the last CE. I only have wireless connections to both of my HR-20s and it works great. I agree that it is one more variable vs. a hard wired connection, but if you have a good wireless network it should work just fine.

#27 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,999 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:13 AM

Will DoD automatically be enabled with the national rollout or will folks need to go through the IWANTMYVOD search to enable it?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#28 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:26 AM

If your HR20 is connected to the Internet, it's automatic. If it isn't, then you'll have to do the IWANTMYVOD search.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#29 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:33 AM

Any comment on future availability of network series? That's my basic need here -- would be far easier than torrents to get missed shows. Will FF be turned off for commercials?
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#30 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:35 AM

Any comment on future availability of network series? That's my basic need here -- would be far easier than torrents to get missed shows. Will FF be turned off for commercials?

As noted earlier (and in other threads).

DirecTV will be expanding their content.... will it be to NETWORK series..
Well... I am sure if DirecTV had access to them... they would offer them.

So the quesiton there is... is NBC/CBS/ABC/FOX ect... willing to offer the series to DirecTV's on Demand service.... (and I would suggestion anyone interested in that spect... to send some emails, letters, phone calls to those networks... to let them know you are intrested).

As for FF turned off for commercials.... most of the VOD content have a single commercial in the front, and no FF is not disabled for them.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#31 OFFLINE   Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:48 AM

Premiums? HBO, Showtime etc? That's been a BIG draw for "Comcast On Demand"...
What did Shakespeare say? "Cowards die a thousand deaths, the brave man... only 500"?

#32 OFFLINE   Hey_Hey

Hey_Hey

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:10 AM

The FAQ says:

* The content is available 356/24/7.

Which 9.25 days is the content not available?

#33 OFFLINE   jwebb1970

jwebb1970

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:46 AM

As noted earlier (and in other threads).

So the quesiton there is... is NBC/CBS/ABC/FOX ect... willing to offer the series to DirecTV's on Demand service.... (and I would suggestion anyone interested in that spect... to send some emails, letters, phone calls to those networks... to let them know you are interested).

As for FF turned off for commercials.... most of the VOD content have a single commercial in the front, and no FF is not disabled for them.

Comcast offered network stuff OnDemand, although it was usually market area dependant. I used to get CBS and ABC stuff, and NBC ran their big 4 fall pilots (BIONIC WOMAN, CHUCK, JOURNEYMAM, LIFE) OnDemand (and in HD/5.1).

CBS offered most of their dramas and Survivor (CSI & JERICHO were also HD/5.1)

ABC offered DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, DIRTY SEXY MONEY (also in HD/5.1).

There may be more available now, but since I dumped 'em for D* 2+ wks ago, I can't say for sure.

All shows were available 24 hrs after broadcast. Generally, they either had one commercial up front (ABC) or 2-3 quick ads during the show (CBS--always the same ad). Short enough that FF wasn't an issue, but was possible.

Considering D*'s national service availability and corporate pull, the nets will all likely jump on board at some point.

Much of what is currently available w/ DoD is stuff I saw when w/ Comcast. Content appears very similar. The NFL Network "Showcase" stuff that shows up on the DVR is the same NFL Net OnDemand stuff that I could get from Comcast (if I wanted to pay extra for NFL Net, that is!!:mad: )

#34 OFFLINE   michaelancaster

michaelancaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:13 AM

You should leave it connected... not sure what the results would be if you keep pulling/reconnecting the connection

I have been connecting and disconnecting my internet connection for several months now with no ill effects. I plug it in when I want to download and disconnect it when not used. I've no problem doing this since DoD started. The reason I do this is my network only allows four continuous connections and I have four computers and the HR20. So when I need to download a DoD, I plug it in and disconnect one of my computers. Works fine for me.

#35 OFFLINE   Kunk

Kunk

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:17 AM

2) The device is mobile.

Unfortunately, my set-up would be remarkably easier to implement with a wireless connection. That said, the network connection guide for the HR20 does not mention the use of USB wireless adapters. Is it possible to use them with the HR20? Or does the wireless adapter have to be connected via the ethernet jack?

I sort of remember discussions about the USB jack not being enabled. Is that still true?

#36 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,999 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:36 AM

Or does the wireless adapter have to be connected via the ethernet jack?

Yes, it must use the ethernet and not USB port.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#37 OFFLINE   oakwcj

oakwcj

Lower Echelon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:48 AM

I don't think the "on demand" concept is going to work well for DirecTV with current broadband connection bandwidths. I understand that it's proved to be a popular service, and that DirecTV wants to get into the game, but this is one area where cable has a natural advantage. My DVR is my "on demand" device, and I'm happy with it for time-shifting. I've got a 3mbps DSL connection. It's far too slow to download HD content, assuming that DOD will have HD content in the future. I'm not all that interested in searching out SD content. For movies, Netflix is a better solution. In the future, if there are affordable, really fast, internet connections, the situation may change. If it does, that will have its own negative consequences for DBS. For now, I think DirecTV would be better off marketing its DVR's as "on demand" solutions.

#38 OFFLINE   Sintori

Sintori

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:06 PM

An interesting question:

If we are unable to get HD locals, will we have access (theoretically of course) to HD programming in DOD on national locals--ABC, NBC, CBS, and maybe even Fox?
Working mom of 3
HR20-100, slimline dish, HDMI
R15 SD-DVR
SD reciever
I LOVE MY IPOD!
D* subscriber since 2000
D* HD subscriber since May 2007

#39 OFFLINE   mrrydogg

mrrydogg

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:21 PM

Stupid question....can anyone that was not already part of the CE confirm that the DOD is actually up and running?

Any first impressions from the new users of the service??
Directv HR20-700 --- 62" Mitsubishi LCD HDTV --- XBOX 360

#40 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:24 PM

Stupid question....can anyone that was not already part of the CE confirm that the DOD is actually up and running?

Any first impressions from the new users of the service??

Why is that a stupid question?
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

Protected By... spam firewall...And...