Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

General DoD Discussion

• Please log in to reply
407 replies to this topic

#401 OFFLINE   khark

khark

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts
  • LocationWyoming

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:04 AM

That's really strange!!

Did you ever try to watch one of these in "real time" to see if that's messed up too? Of course unless you really have a fast connection, real time might be in 10 second spurts......

good luck!!

No, I have only watched recorded shows but I have never seen this problem when watching programs that are not VOD. Of course I have seen other problems much the same as many other people.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#402 OFFLINE   philherz

philherz

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:25 PM

No, I have only watched recorded shows but I have never seen this problem when watching programs that are not VOD. Of course I have seen other problems much the same as many other people.

Just for the heck of it, pick anything and try to watch it after 2 or 3 minutes.....

#403 OFFLINE   d max82

d max82

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:47 AM

All I have ever downloaded are HD and so far ever one I have watched has the problem. When the picture isn't breaking up the picture quality is great.

This problem is only with VOD.

I've noticed the same thing lately, perticularly in the Nurse Jackie HD episodes(with the breakups occuring 15 times in a 30 minute period or so). I'm starting to wonder if its the dvr itself, as I would thing someone at directv would notice these obvious encoding errors

#404 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 01:52 PM

The biggest problem I see with VOD is that you won't have enough time to watch all you download before it expires. :)
So, you'll need to see how long each show is available and then plan your downloads.

Even that won't be helpful. I just found out the hard way. I downloaded all of Madmen season 1 and was watching an episode a week. All the unwatched ones just disappeared, and now season 2 is up for download. So they all expire on a set date no matter when they get downloaded. Has anyone explained why these are on a timer?

#405 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 01:59 PM

Has anyone explained why these are on a timer?

No, but I download a VOD and it seems to have been on the last day, because the next morning.. poof, it was gone.
A.K.A VOS

#406 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:49 PM

No, but I download a VOD and it seems to have been on the last day, because the next morning.. poof, it was gone.

I would love to hear the reasoning behind this. If they take down material to be downloaded in the interest of server space, it is understandable. But why is my DVR like my refrigerator? Why do I have to keep an eye on the milk and leftovers to see if they are about to be thrown out?

#407 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,756 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:33 AM

Since when did 2 of the "adult" channels get DoD versions. Just realized that last night.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#408 OFFLINE   philherz

philherz

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:06 AM

DoD seems to work for some movie downloads (Showtime/TMC), but not for others.

If I enter 2 or more movies, they are all confirmed, but some eventually get an error 1011: canceled --OR-- #3005: unable to download.

If I reschedule, they usually work the 2nd or 3rd try.

Suggestions???

Protected By... spam firewall...And...