Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

General DoD Discussion

• Please log in to reply
407 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   mrrydogg

mrrydogg

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:27 PM

Why is that a stupid question?

You never know how people will take things I guess.

I am ready to go buy the wireless bridge, but I don't even have the new software release yet on my DVR. I am thinking I may not be part of the release yet.
Directv HR20-700 --- 62" Mitsubishi LCD HDTV --- XBOX 360

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:47 PM

The FAQ says:

* The content is available 356/24/7.

Which 9.25 days is the content not available?

typo corrected. Thanks.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#43 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:48 PM

An interesting question:

If we are unable to get HD locals, will we have access (theoretically of course) to HD programming in DOD on national locals--ABC, NBC, CBS, and maybe even Fox?

I would imagine so, once that content becomes available.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#44 OFFLINE   rjknyy

rjknyy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:00 PM

Quick question.....Do I need to keep the phone line connected once I have the ethernet connected?

#45 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:02 PM

Quick question.....Do I need to keep the phone line connected once I have the ethernet connected?

If you want any PPV or DoD content that costs $... yes.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#46 OFFLINE   rjknyy

rjknyy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:12 PM

If you want any PPV or DoD content that costs $... yes.

10-4...Thanks Earl

#47 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:20 PM

I have been connecting and disconnecting my internet connection for several months now with no ill effects. I plug it in when I want to download and disconnect it when not used. I've no problem doing this since DoD started. The reason I do this is my network only allows four continuous connections and I have four computers and the HR20. So when I need to download a DoD, I plug it in and disconnect one of my computers. Works fine for me.

If you have more than four devices you want to connect to your home network, just get a hub or switch. A simple one would allow you to add five more devices, at the expense of losing one of your router's connections, for a net gain of four extra connections.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#48 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 819 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:50 PM

OK my question now about the phone line. I don't have one, I have taken a firm grip on the 21st Century and only use a cell phone, what 21st Century solution does D* have planned for Cell phone only homes?

#49 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:52 PM

OK my question now about the phone line. I don't have one, I have taken a firm grip on the 21st Century and only use a cell phone, what 21st Century solution does D* have planned for Cell phone only homes?

Nothing at this time...

You will have to purchase PPV via the web... or call DirecTV to order them.
As for DoD content that has a $$... not sure about that.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#50 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 819 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:59 PM

Earl, thanks again for all the answers.

Do you have any idea how much DoD is free vs. $$ ? 50/50? 20/80? 80/20?

I know i can do the PPV via web, I hope DoD works the same way eventually.

Since i'm getting so many great answers out of you, hook me up with the scoop on DLB :)

#51 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:42 PM

When will the complete roll out happen? Just wondering when i should be looking for the content. How fast will the rollout West to East Happens, Days or weeks?Thanks.
Waiting for
BBCA HD

#52 OFFLINE   mrrydogg

mrrydogg

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 05:15 PM

Posting again...

Can anyone that was not already part of the CE confirm that the DOD is actually up and running?

Any first impressions from the new users of the service??

#53 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 05:20 PM

Posting again...

Can anyone that was not already part of the CE confirm that the DOD is actually up and running?

I with ya on that.
Who got the service today on this rollout?
Waiting for
BBCA HD

#54 OFFLINE   JDB30

JDB30

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 06:14 PM

How does one access the DoD? I live in LA but didn't get the new firmware yet. Hopefully soon and want to be ready! Is it a menu item or do I need to go to ACTIVE?

#55 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:11 PM

Wait till you get the latest version of the software currently being released nationally. Hint: Turn off your receiver's blue, LED circle of lights. When you then notice them on again, you'll know your unit has rebooted after a download.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#56 OFFLINE   stewp97

stewp97

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:29 PM

Posting again...

I did receive the update this morning.

I did not have On Demand until I retested my network connection. Then On Demand appeared in the menu. It must take a while for it to load. It did not show any programs for 1/2 hour after I activated it. There is still not much there yet. When I get something worth downloading, I'll give it a shot.

I'll keep you updated!

peter

#57 OFFLINE   scottz46

scottz46

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:54 PM

I live in an MDU communications building that does not yet have a 5lnb dish. Will i still be able to recieve the software download if my box is connected to the INET?

#58 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:24 PM

I live in an MDU communications building that does not yet have a 5lnb dish. Will i still be able to recieve the software download if my box is connected to the INET?

IIRC, software download don't use transponders on the new Ka satellites so you should be OK. The internet has nothing to do with software downloads.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#59 OFFLINE   Car1181

Car1181

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:30 PM

Back to my other question, though, will someone with no network set up at all be able to even see channel 1000?

I activated DOD before I was wired to the internet and all the DOD features showed up, including being able to see channel 1000. I couldn't use it, of course, until I connected to the internet a few days later. Although there is not much content that I am interested in yet I have been playing around with it and it's working great. Have been able to start watching each show within a minute or so of the start of the download (connected via FiOS). No problems throughout any programs yet. Looking forward to network content. Great job D*.

(1)HR21-200
(1)HR22-500
(5)HR24-500
All HR's connected via HDMI
SWiM/DECA/MRV
Verizon FiOS Internet 20/5
XM Radio SkyFi & MyFi

#60 OFFLINE   mrrydogg

mrrydogg

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:22 PM

I did receive the update this morning.

I did not have On Demand until I retested my network connection. Then On Demand appeared in the menu. It must take a while for it to load. It did not show any programs for 1/2 hour after I activated it. There is still not much there yet. When I get something worth downloading, I'll give it a shot.

I'll keep you updated!

peter

Huh? Thats weird. Guess it is an unusual staggered release. Not exactly West to East!

Anyway, thanks for replying. I will definitely be looking forward to your posts.

spam firewall