Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

"BETA" for how long?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:46 AM

Designating the DOD as "BETA" seems a little open-ended, especially since it has been available through CE for a couple of months now.

Now that it's available through national release, when do we drop the "BETA" moniker and see the "real deal"...especially regarding HD DOD?
What did Shakespeare say? "Cowards die a thousand deaths, the brave man... only 500"?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jwd45244

jwd45244

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:47 AM

Designating the DOD area as "BETA" seems a little open-ended, especially since it has been available through CE for a couple of months now.

Now that it's available through national release, when do we drop the "BETA" moniker and see the "real deal"...especially regarding HD DOD?

We will drop it when DTV drops it. They decided to roll it out in it "beta" form
-- Jim D.
DirecTV sub. since 1998
Slimline w/ SWM LNB---- (mounted on CommDeck) ----> SWM Power Inserter -----> CM4002IFD Diplexer
Winegard OTA Antenna ------------------> CM7777 OTA Amplifier ----------------> CM4002IFD Diplexer
CM4002IFD Diplexer ----> STS-4 splitter ----> HR20-700 - Vizio VO32L, HR20-700 - SDTV, HR21-200 (w/ AM21) - Vizio VX42L, HR21-200 - SDTV; CM4001IFD as splitting diplexer on all legs; All networked

#3 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:48 AM

Designating the DOD area as "BETA" seems a little open-ended, especially since it has been available through CE for a couple of months now.

In 7 weeks, 4 days, 3 hours and 12 minutes, it will no longer be a beta. :D

Seriously, nobody has any idea ... Why is GMail still a beta?

The world may never know .......

#4 OFFLINE   Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:53 AM

We will drop it when DTV drops it. They decided to roll it out in it "beta" form

That's what I meant...when does D* officially roll out the DOD content and lose the "just testing this out" mindset? Not that I'm being impatient, it just appeared to me as thought the 2 events should have coincided...NR and official DOD unveiling...
What did Shakespeare say? "Cowards die a thousand deaths, the brave man... only 500"?

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:54 AM

The "Beta" designation will remain for an un-determined period of time...
As the service may still adjust and change, based on the "larger" opinion pool of people that now have access to it.

It will eventually be "removed"... but it is BETA in the same sense that MediaShare items where BETA for the first few months....

You are seeing the "real deal" with DoD....
The content will continue to increase both in quantity and quality...
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:57 AM

That was the question I was posing.

#7 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:52 AM

Is it now OK to contact D* in regards to any issues/questions with DOD? Or is this still not allowed till it's out of beta?
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#8 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:21 AM

Is it now OK to contact D* in regards to any issues/questions with DOD? Or is this still not allowed till it's out of beta?

I guess it would be.... but not sure what kind of support you are going to get about it at this point. (As compared to the support you would get here)
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   cdizzy

cdizzy

Icon

• Registered
  • 892 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:42 AM

I still show the "media share" menu as being beta. So I would imagine it will be awhile.

HR44-200 Genie

Genie clients X2

HR21-100

DirecTV customer since 2003

#10 OFFLINE   dnelms

dnelms

Legend

• Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:49 AM

The "Beta" designation will remain for an un-determined period of time...
As the service may still adjust and change, based on the "larger" opinion pool of people that now have access to it.

It will eventually be "removed"... but it is BETA in the same sense that MediaShare items where BETA for the first few months....

The content will continue to increase both in quantity and quality...

Earl,

I guess my question would be, when will the DOD be avaliable as part of updated national software? I know it's there for the CE's. But for those of us with only one HR20 and not risking downloading the CE, any idea on a ballpark guess? I helped in many software betas. The one thing you know is that it could completely rtender your sysytem unusable. Can't risk the same thing with having only one HD setup.
Got my network going, just need the content to get to me :)

#11 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:51 AM

Earl,

I guess my question would be, when will the DOD be avaliable as part of updated national software? I know it's there for the CE's. But for those of us with only one HR20 and not risking downloading the CE, any idea on a ballpark guess? I helped in many software betas. The one thing you know is that it could completely rtender your sysytem unusable. Can't risk the same thing with having only one HD setup.
Got my network going, just need the content to get to me :)

It is now...

0x1B4 is rolling out (slowly) to national, non CE users.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#12 OFFLINE   Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:01 AM

I know it's there for the CE's. But for those of us with only one HR20 and not risking downloading the CE, any idea on a ballpark guess?

Your box should autodownload the new NR within the week, that will enable it.

#13 OFFLINE   Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:02 AM

It is now...

0x1B4 is rolling out (slowly) to national, non CE users.

Oops. Sorry, you already answered this....

#14 OFFLINE   dnelms

dnelms

Legend

• Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:58 PM

Thanks.... guess if I had noticed it stickied up top about the official release I would not have had to ask a stupid question that already answered. :nono2:

#15 OFFLINE   georgeorwell

georgeorwell

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:02 AM

An important thing to remember is that although the -100 and -700 designations mean a lot to us here, an HR20 is an HR20 to the general public. I would imagine until D* goes through all the same testing that happened with the -700, that DOD will not be out of the BETA stage.

spam firewall