Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Commercials on XM

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 10:53 PM

Since XM radio has very little commercials now, I often wonder how long it will be before we start hearing full sets of commercials that last 3-5 minutes? It seems like history has shown that these types of services always start inserting more and more commercials over time. Just look at cable and satellite TV. I still can't believe I'm paying close to $50 a month for my Dish and still have to skip through 17 minutes of commercials an hour.

I just hope XM radio doesn't follow the same path because if they do, I will end up going back to local radio.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 09:38 AM

Go back to local radio? Where they have an average of 24 minutes of ads AN HOUR????!!???

I just got my XM radio activated last week (the Delphi SkyFi add on) and I love it. My biggest worry is driver distraction from changing channels trying to search through all the choices I now have. And I didn't realize they had so many simulcasts of the audio from so many cable channels (CNN, CNBC, ESPNews, etc.).

This is the most revolutionary consumer electronics product to hit my world since I got my Dishplayer in 2000.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 09:50 AM

You will never hear more then 6 minutes an hour in ads on any XM Music Channel.

For the most part you hardly hear more then one ad an hour on the music channels. :D

God I love XM, I just found FINE TUNING last night, what a cool channel this is, from Classical music to Pink Floyd all on one channel. :)

#4 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 10:39 AM

Originally posted by BobMurdoch
Go back to local radio? Where they have an average of 24 minutes of ads AN HOUR????!!???

I understand what you mean but what I meant was how long will it be before XM is doing the same thing? I know it will be a few years but after what has happened with cable TV, I honestly think that satellite radio will follow the same track.

Oh well, I guess we might as well enjoy it while it lasts.

#5 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 10:45 AM

XM's Charter and SEC filings prevents them from airing more then 6 min of ads per hour.

I don't see that being an issue for any time to come. :) And if they do decide to increase the ad time they will have to issue filings to that effect.

#6 OFFLINE   Eyedox

Eyedox

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 06:36 PM

To me it was worth it to spend an extra $3 a month for SIRIUS so that I was guaranteed commercial-free music. Now if I could only get my free damn equipment! It's been 6 weeks and still nothing. (Stupid Friends and Family Plan from Kenwood/Sirius)

#7 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 10:02 AM

It took about 10 years before FM's ad saturation hit AM's level, but that was a "free" OTA model. As they have a subscriber fee they may be able to hold off longer.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#8 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2003 - 06:41 AM

From www.radioandrecords.com

Sales Vet Barry O'Brien To Consult XM

O'Brien tells R&R he will help the satcaster as it begins to increase advertising on 65 of its 101 channels. O'Brien, formerly VP/Sales at R&R, will also continue his relationship with New England Cable News, helping it with national ad sales as well as politicals for the 2004 elections, and notes that his work for XM will most likely be concentrated in the New England area.

Someboy metioned by this they mean XM ads being replaced with ads that people pay for. If, that's the case I much rather hear those than XM ads.

I would also doubt that this means more than 6 minutes of ads per hour as XM has said that 6 minutes of ads is the max

#9 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 06:57 AM

Basicly what they are trying to do is get more advertisers. I bet you as tired of hearing Carrot Top from 1-800-COLLECT as I am. :)

Again there will be no more then 6 min of commercials and hour.

Some channels REALLY need new Commercials, on the Extreme Channel they are still advertising last MARCH's Dr Laura Magazine and Rush Limbaughs news letter also from March of last year.

At least they don't play the 1-800 MEOW MEOW commercials as much. :)

#10 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 07:11 AM

Actually according to XM's web site, it's an average of 6 minutes per hour which means it could be more or less.

In addition to launching the first national radio platform, XM Radio is offering advertisers a relatively uncluttered programming environment by limiting the number of commercials to an average of six minutes per hour and by offering a variety of creative sponsorship opportunities.

http://www.xmradio.c...2000_02_01.html

#11 OFFLINE   jgc

jgc

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 06:35 AM

I'm sorry. My last post was without me logging in.

Originally posted by Scott Greczkowski
Basicly what they are trying to do is get more advertisers. I bet you as tired of hearing Carrot Top from 1-800-COLLECT as I am. :)

Of course

Again there will be no more then 6 min of commercials and hour.

That's good to know

At least they don't play the 1-800 MEOW MEOW commercials as much. :)

I agree there

Protected By... spam firewall...And...