Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Apple Airport Express connected to HR20?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jeff Richardson

Jeff Richardson

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:54 PM

I use an Airport Extreme Base Station for my home wireless network and I want to connect my HR20 to the network. There is much discussion on this forum about using Linksys D-link, etc. gamer adapters or wireless bridges to give the HR20 wireless access the network. Will an Apple Airport Express also work? It costs just about as much as these other devices, and from the pictures I have seen it looks like it has a standard Ethernet RJ-45 connector on it, but the Apple webpage for the product only talks about using the Ethernet port to connect to a DSL or cable modem, not connecting to a device like a gaming console or an HR20. Can anyone verify whether the Airport Express would work as a bridge with an Ethernet cord running from the HR20 to the Airport Express?

-Jeff

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:43 PM

Yes an Airport Express would work. I have my HR20 hooked up to one as well. I have mine running from my power strip to my HR20 by way of 6 ft of ultra flat cat 5. BTW I just added a 2nd Airport Express hooking that one up in the same way to my A3 HD-DVD player. The Ultra flat Cat5 is great if there is a distance between the AX and the HR20 and you want to prevent a risk of someone tripping and falling over wires. All you need to do is set it up as a WDS and your good to go.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#3 OFFLINE   uwsherm

uwsherm

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:44 PM

It'll work fine. It's slightly complicated to set up - the Express only bridges the Ethernet port to the wireless network if it's configured as a WDS remote station (there's a good article on Apple's support site about how this works - just search for Airport Express WDS).

#4 OFFLINE   muzzymate

muzzymate

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:38 AM

Just use the guided setup program that comes with the Airport Express and you'll be running in no time (choose Extend my Network). I have one Airport Extreme in the office and three Airport Expresses at each television for ethernet connectivity. It works really well and piping music from iTunes into my sound receiver is a great bonus.

#5 OFFLINE   Darfstellar

Darfstellar

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:31 PM

Perhaps this should be amended to note you can ONLY use the Airport Express as a bridge to the network IF you are using an Airport Extreme as your base network. I bought one expecting to use it with my Linksys wireless router and it won't work in WDS mode outside of an Apple-hardware network, unless I'm reading the instructions wrong.

#6 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:00 PM

Here you go - depends on your Linksys Router though:

http://rgbdream.com/...xpress-and-wds/

Perhaps this should be amended to note you can ONLY use the Airport Express as a bridge to the network IF you are using an Airport Extreme as your base network. I bought one expecting to use it with my Linksys wireless router and it won't work in WDS mode outside of an Apple-hardware network, unless I'm reading the instructions wrong.

BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:26 PM

Airport is really just a fancy 802.11 adapter, you should be able to use it for anything you use any other wireless adapter for.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 05:46 AM

I believe the router just has to support WDS. My Belkin does and the AE works just fine with it.
- Matt

#9 OFFLINE   ChrisWyso

ChrisWyso

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:11 AM

The way I'm currently configured is my HR-20 is connected (wired) to one of the Ethernet LAN ports on the Airport Extreme. Another LAN port then connects thru the crawlspace to my main router (LinkSys) which then connects to the cable modem. My set-up is all wired. The only thing in our house that's running on the Airport wireless is the wife's MacBook Pro. So basically I'm using the Airport Extreme as a ethernet hub for the HR-20.

I can verify that this configuration has worked 100% since I connected up the HR-20's ethernet.

BTW, I'm a bit of a control freak, so everything in the house/on the network is run with static IP's. I don't use DHCP at all.

-Chris
HR-20 (100)(HDMI, Dolby Digital~Optical)(Native: ON, 720 & 1080i only)
HR-23 (700)(HDMI, Dolby Digital~Coaxial)(Native: ON, 720 & 1080i only)
Alternative Viewing (i.e. BitTorrent DL's)(via PS3, streaming from PC via Tversity)

Sony SXRD 60" (KDS-R60XBR2)
Yamaha RX-V730 A/V-Receiver (DD & DTS 6.1)
XBOX360 (Component 720p, Dolby Digital~Optical)
Blu-Ray/PS3 (HDMI 1080p, Dolby Digital~Optical)

That's an "offical" TARDIS, taken at BBC Television Centre on 09/04/07

#10 OFFLINE   Darfstellar

Darfstellar

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 04:01 PM

URL removed because I don't have 5 posts required to quote a URL :nono:

Yeah, I tried those instructions several times with my Linksys WRT150N and no go. The 150N supposedly supports WDS but I can't make them see each other and I think I have the wrong version of router for the dd-wrt software.

I believe the router just has to support WDS. My Belkin does and the AE works just fine with it.

Which version of Belkin? If it's (draft) N version I might pick one up.

#11 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 05:25 AM

Which version of Belkin? If it's (draft) N version I might pick one up.

No, not N. It's G. It's like 3 years old.
- Matt

#12 OFFLINE   mhp

mhp

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 01:39 PM

Hi there --

Need to know how to fix a "flahsing amber" lite on the Airport.....

My airport is hard Ethernet connected to the HR20.....

My I Mac (with wireless card inside) is upstairs and is hard wired to my Linksys cable modem.....

The PC laptops in my family have no trouble getting wireless connections to the Internet via this setup......

Any advice???

#13 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:44 AM

Hi there --

Need to know how to fix a "flahsing amber" lite on the Airport.....

My airport is hard Ethernet connected to the HR20.....

My I Mac (with wireless card inside) is upstairs and is hard wired to my Linksys cable modem.....

The PC laptops in my family have no trouble getting wireless connections to the Internet via this setup......

Any advice???

Flashing amber means its not properly set up. Make sure you set it up as a WDS.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#14 OFFLINE   mhp

mhp

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:14 AM

Flashing amber means its not properly set up. Make sure you set it up as a WDS.

Thanks........

And how do I do that???..........(not a network savvy guy)

#15 OFFLINE   Jeff Richardson

Jeff Richardson

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:10 PM

I'm also having trouble setting up the Apple Airport Express as a WDS. It seems like I am doing it correctly -- telling my Airport Extreme Base Station to be a WDS host and telling the Express to be a remote, and I have the Airport address of the AEBS in the Express and vice versa. But my Express just keeps blinking amber. Tech support on Apple's website was not very helpful, and seemed to have been written for an older version of the software. (I'm using Leopard.) If anyone knows enough about this setup to post step-by-step instructions, they would be much appreciated.

For example, it seems like the only way I can communicate with both the AEBS and the Express at the same time is to have them both plugged in via Ethernet. (AEBS plugged into my Mac, and the Express plugged into an Ethernet port on the AEBS.) I can't seem to communicate with the Express wirelessly at all. I'm sure I am just making some dumb mistake and doing something wrong.

-Jeff

#16 OFFLINE   Jeff Richardson

Jeff Richardson

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:11 PM

I was finally able to get my Apple Airport Express work to get DOD on my HR20. The "solution" was to change my network security from WPA2 to WEP. Apparently there is some bug which results in the Apple Airport Extreme Base Station losing the connection to the Airport Express when the security is set to WPA2. Of course, I'd much rather use WPA2 security so hopefully the bug will be fixed soon, but if anyone else out is thinking about using Apple equipment to get DOD, I can confirm that it does work.

#17 OFFLINE   ztrips

ztrips

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 12:32 PM

Is it possible to use the Airport Express in WDS mode AND use it as an Airtunes device? Right now I have my AE setup for Airtunes and the Ethernet port does not bridge to the wireless side...

Thanks

#18 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 02:16 PM

Is it possible to use the Airport Express in WDS mode AND use it as an Airtunes device? Right now I have my AE setup for Airtunes and the Ethernet port does not bridge to the wireless side...

Thanks

Yes, that is what I do. I'm the last person to ask how to get it to work though. I just played around with the settings and now it works :)
- Matt

#19 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:02 PM

http://rgbdream.com/...xpress-and-wds/

Tonight I got my HR21 to connect to the internet using Airport Express and a Linksys WRT54G v5 and firmware 1.02.2 using the instructions from this link!!

The Linksys is being used as a router hooked up to a 2Wire modem (Qwest).

I copied the settings from my HR20 under advanced and it immediately passed test. Still need to play with it to get Media Sharing working with WMP 11.

#20 OFFLINE   HDsnob

HDsnob

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:14 PM

I just got the same set up working tonight and I was having some issues, until I reset my AEX. Then my AEBS found it and I was able to set it up using WDS. I still can't get my Buffalo wireless bridge to work for the bedroom, but that's a project for another day.
HR20-700
HR20-100
AT9 5LNB Dish
Zinwell WB68 Multiswitch
XBOX 360 w/ HD DVD Drive

HR20-700: Connected via HDMI to Hitachi 55VG825
HR20-100: Connected via HDMI to Olevia 232T

Protected By... spam firewall...And...