Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA RAID-0 Enclsoure for 2TB+

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ITSec_Guy

ITSec_Guy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:32 AM

We really need better monitoring of these discussion boards as threads get hijacked WAAAY too easily!

I'm a fan of the 1TB Hitachi because of the 32mb of cache... I want to implement RAID-0 (not raid-1, 5, etc... RAID-0). Is there an enclosure that will support this similar to the Thecus N2050 for a REASONABLE PRICE (ie, I realize that the Thecus N3200 does RAID but it is $ and overkill).

Please don't hijack this thread with postings about your cable preference or a debate on RAID levels! If you don't know, don't post!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:52 AM

We really need better monitoring of these discussion boards as threads get hijacked WAAAY too easily!

there's a team of VERY dedicated moderators and administrators that do just that. Given the amount of postings here in my mind they are very efficient. They also have lives outside of the forum so cut them some slack.
Neil Derryberry, WD4NET
neil dot derryberry at gmail dot com

#3 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:44 AM

I'm a fan of the 1TB Hitachi because of the 32mb of cache... I want to implement RAID-0 (not raid-1, 5, etc... RAID-0). Is there an enclosure that will support this similar to the Thecus N2050 for a REASONABLE PRICE (ie, I realize that the Thecus N3200 does RAID but it is $ and overkill).

Please don't hijack this thread with postings about your cable preference or a debate on RAID levels! If you don't know, don't post!

Umm... we need YOUR help for stuff like that...
As much as we try we can't read every post in every thread...

If you have an issue with a post... report it.

As a moderator... I should move this thread over to the Computer sub-forum... as it really isn't specific to the HR20?

What to do ... what to do....
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   ITSec_Guy

ITSec_Guy

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 63 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:05 PM

OH MY GOD... My thread has been HIJACKED BY MODERATORS!

Forget it!

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:13 PM

OH MY GOD... My thread has been HIJACKED BY MODERATORS!

Forget it!

OMG... you posted a jab at how the moderators "monitor" the forum... and I was commented on your post.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   tombet

tombet

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:06 PM

I considered an external Raid enclosure before deciding to keep it simple with a single drive 1TB solution.

While looking for an enclosure, the Thecus was about the cheapest I found. The SansDigital MS2UT was a bit more (around $200), but I was leaning toward it rather than the Thecus as the user comments on newegg seemed more positive. But there were enough people on newegg talking about drive failures with both of those enclosures, and fan noise with the Thecus, that I decided to just keep it simple and stay with a 1 drive solution. Certainly I do see people here happy with the Thecus, but also some here reporting early drive failures. (btw I've found that 1TB has turned out to be plenty for me. Also remember that you are increasing your chances of a data failure with Raid-0. If either drive fails, you've lost all your data. So if 1 drive has say a 3% annual risk of failure, Raid-0 with 2 drives has at least a 6% risk. I say at least because you also add the risk that the enclosure with the onboard raid controller might also fail.)

#7 OFFLINE   ITSec_Guy

ITSec_Guy

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 63 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:18 PM

God Bless you for your simple and direct answer ;)

The Thecus N2050 has been discontinued and is slowly finding its way off the market (at least that is what I was told by management at MicroCenter). I think it has to do with the N2100, but (as you said) there are heat-disipation issues with it as well... Not to mention the 1.5tb limit.

I briefly considered RAID-10 but I think that is a bit of overkill... I don't really see any affordably solutions... At $300 per drive, RAID-5 with an enclosure would run at least $1,400... That's a bit steep...

#8 OFFLINE   tombet

tombet

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:41 PM

God Bless you for your simple and direct answer ;)

The Thecus N2050 has been discontinued and is slowly finding its way off the market (at least that is what I was told by management at MicroCenter). I think it has to do with the N2100, but (as you said) there are heat-disipation issues with it as well... Not to mention the 1.5tb limit.

I briefly considered RAID-10 but I think that is a bit of overkill... I don't really see any affordably solutions... At $300 per drive, RAID-5 with an enclosure would run at least $1,400... That's a bit steep...

I also think its overkill. My thinking about raid-10 or raid-5 with the HR20 is that I don't actually get that much protection. I am protected against a hard drive failure, but if the HR20 fails for any other reason (power supply, motherboard, etc) I will be unable to watch any of my recorded shows when I get a replacement HR20. There is no failure stats that I am aware of specifically for the HR20, but in computer usage, power supplies actually fail more often than hard drives. In rough terms, I think I have at least an equal chance of something else failing on the HR20 requiring it to be replaced than my hard drive failing.

Until/unless D* adds support for eSata such that the external drive's recordings can be used with a replacement HR20, I figure RAID5 or Raid10 is really only protecting me from say 50% of the things that might go wrong. IMO, its just not worth the big cost premium that you point out. (Now 1TB is a great amount of space, as you know. But if you really need a 2TB or more solution, you might even consider just having two 1TB external enclosures and periodically restarting with the other. Obviously its not as convenient, but it is a lot cheaper and simpler.)

#9 OFFLINE   ITSec_Guy

ITSec_Guy

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 63 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:14 PM

That is an incredibly well made point LOL!!!! Of all the things people grip about with RAID-O, the failure rate of the HR10 is probably 50x higher!

I really just want the RAID-0 because if the pedal isn't on the floor, it can go faster!

#10 OFFLINE   ITSec_Guy

ITSec_Guy

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 63 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 30 October 2007 - 03:54 AM

For those still playing along at home, I went with the MS2UT... This is actually the perfect enclosure as it is capable of 2TB but is also cheap enough for me to screw around with watercooling solutions. I'll reply back (with photos) once I have the wtercooling solution in place... should be in a few weeks.

#11 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 04:06 AM

For those still playing along at home, I went with the MS2UT... This is actually the perfect enclosure as it is capable of 2TB but is also cheap enough for me to screw around with watercooling solutions. I'll reply back (with photos) once I have the wtercooling solution in place... should be in a few weeks.

As I replied to your other post the MS2UT will only do up to 1.5TB with no larger than two 750GB drives.

I have the same enclosure.

#12 OFFLINE   ITSec_Guy

ITSec_Guy

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 63 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 30 October 2007 - 01:21 PM

The specs on the MS2UT were written pre-1TB. Their website clearly states that it can do 2TB... http://www.sansdigit...stor/ms2ut.html

"Support latest 1TB Hard Drive. Up to 2TB storage capacity"

On a side-note, I decided why buy one when you can have two at twice the price... so I also bought the RS-M2TS enclosure (www.cooldrives.com) as well. I'd rather use the RS-M2TS enclosure due to the price and compact-size... But I wasn't 10000% sure about it due to the fact that it has the SiI5744 chip... BUT, I've seen other posts on how to configure a Silicon Image chip on a PC and then put it in to place so that it will work... PLUS (and this is a FIRST), this enclosure ACTUALLY STATES that it is "Compatible with PM aware and non-PM aware hosts." Should be interesting.

Whichever one I go with, ultimately, I am going to rip apart ;) and mod with a cooling/sound-dampening solution. Once I have a finished product in place I will put it up on eBay along with an option for additional requests (clear-windows, lighting, painting, etc...). I suspect that with Dish and Direct BOTH using attached storage now that there will be a market for this... I'll probably wind up gifting the other RAID solutions over the holidays...

#13 OFFLINE   aleicgrant

aleicgrant

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 10:46 PM

so how's it all going. I am able to get a pair of 1tb drives for $500 and adding this at $200 makes for a very nice solution

#14 OFFLINE   ITSec_Guy

ITSec_Guy

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 63 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 01 November 2007 - 10:58 PM

I literally just got everything in today... There isn't a whole lot of room in the RS-M2TS... so any water-cooling solution I derive will have to be external, or I will have to swap everything out and create my own case...

Where are you getting two drives for $500, if you don't mind me asking?

I cancelled the order for the MS2UT... I'm much more interested in the simplicity of the RS-M2TS (and the cost)... On the plus-side, it is the exact same color and height (when turned sideways) as the HR-20.

I anticipate having an answer about how well it works in the next day or two, and then I will get to work on a water-cooling solution next week (I work crazy hours on Sat/Sun/Mon/Tue).

#15 OFFLINE   aleicgrant

aleicgrant

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:07 AM

do you really think a water cooling solution is required for this???

And the drives for $250 are new on fleabay :)

#16 OFFLINE   GirkMonster

GirkMonster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:46 AM

I was driving to work this morning and a bird flew by my car...

#17 OFFLINE   ITSec_Guy

ITSec_Guy

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 63 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 02 November 2007 - 02:03 PM

do you really think a water cooling solution is required for this???

And the drives for $250 are new on fleabay :)

Says the person that has never felt how hot the 1TB Hitachi can get! I had it plugged in for less than an hour and it was already H-O-T! Put two, side by side... with nothing but a tiny little fan to cool them...

Yes, I think if you are going to go so far as to do spend $700 you might as well kick in a bit more for extreme cooling! HEAT IS BAD!!!!!!!!! Unless, of course, you plan to use this to heat your house this winter to save on the cost of heating... which I guess could recoup the $700 ;)

Give me a week or two... I'll come up with something affordable and easy to implement.

#18 OFFLINE   ITSec_Guy

ITSec_Guy

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 63 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 02 November 2007 - 02:07 PM

What is Fleabay? It requires a username and password....

Are you sure that this is for the 0A35155 version? There are multiple editions of the 1TB Hitachi... The 0A35155 is the only one I would recommend... Being on the cutting edge of technology, but the second-generation always fixes the woes of the first! There are a lot more instances of the earlier edition burning up...

#19 OFFLINE   aleicgrant

aleicgrant

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 02:12 PM

actually its for a western digital drive WD10000CSRTL

#20 OFFLINE   ITSec_Guy

ITSec_Guy

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 63 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 02 November 2007 - 05:05 PM

I can now officially confirm that the RS-M2TS works flawlessly with 2 -1TB Hitachi drives.

CoolDrives may have a stringent return policy (you can't return one of their enclosures), bu tthe RS-M2TS is AND very easy bet! I highly recommend conguring it to the desired RAID level and hitting the RESET button on the enclosure PRIOR to connecting it. The instruction manual provided with the enclosure makes it pretty painless and dummy-proof!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...