Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DoD Download Speeds

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dervari

dervari

Icon

• Registered
  • 777 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 11:53 AM

So what kinds of download speeds are you people getting? I have an 8mb Comcast connection and various speed test sites show me getting the full 8mb/sec throughput. However, when I use DoD my MRTG graphs show the download topping off at 1.8-2.0mb/s. The HR-20 is cabled into a 10/100 switch behind my entertainment center which is hardwired to my Baystack 10/100 in the basement. Both Replay and Slingbox get 3mb/s over the LAN, so I know it's not an internal network issue.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   packfan909

packfan909

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:58 PM

So what kinds of download speeds are you people getting? I have an 8mb Comcast connection and various speed test sites show me getting the full 8mb/sec throughput. However, when I use DoD my MRTG graphs show the download topping off at 1.8-2.0mb/s. The HR-20 is cabled into a 10/100 switch behind my entertainment center which is hardwired to my Baystack 10/100 in the basement. Both Replay and Slingbox get 3mb/s over the LAN, so I know it's not an internal network issue.

I have not checked my actual dl speeds with DoD but your numbers sound about right. I have a 6DN/768UP DSL connection. I am not using the entire pipe for DoD with SD programming. Pure speculation, but my guess is they are throttling back each connection to the server @ 2M/sec. They can manage concurrent dl's a lot better when they limit the speed of the connection.

pf
DirecTV & Sirius Subscriber - Hardware on Profile
HR20-700 CFG: OTA Y | LAN: Bridged | 1080i Str | Rem IR Harmony 676 | HDMI
HR20-700 CFG: OTA Y | LAN: Wired | 480p Str | Rem RF RC24 | Component
HR21-700 CFG: OTA Y | LAN: Wired | 1080i LB | Rem RC32 | Component
uPnP Software: TVersity Pro BETA 1.5
Internet: Fiber 10MB via Surewest, Airlink+ Router

#3 OFFLINE   NYSmoker

NYSmoker

Icon

• Registered
  • 657 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:46 PM

I have an HR20 and an XBox 360 connected to my wireless bridge.

While I do not have numbers, the Xbox downloads much, much faster than the HR20 on my 20mb connection.
HR21-700 HDMI --> Sharp Aquos 42" LCD
HR20-700 HDMI --> Sharp Aquos 26" LCD .

#4 OFFLINE   thxultra

thxultra

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:53 PM

When dod was first released to cutting edge it seemed to dl really fast. Seems much slower now. I used to be able to watch sd content in real time and can't do that any more. Hopeing d* gets more bandwith.

#5 OFFLINE   dervari

dervari

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 777 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:23 PM

I've read of people getting multi-mb/sec downloads in the past, so I was wondering what people these days are getting. Thanks.

#6 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:37 PM

I find it helpful to describe download speeds like this...I find it takes about 65 seconds to download 1% of a 60 min. show. My connection tests at 5Mbps down, 2.5Mbps up. In my experience, DOD seems to download much slower than the connection is capable.

ej
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#7 OFFLINE   DesertFlyer

DesertFlyer

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:36 PM

Download speeds on DoD are crawling right now, for me at least. I am downloading some music videos and all of them are downloading much slower than usual. It's taking 5 minutes to download each minute of video. Normally I can add to my queue and watch it right away without any problems. I guess it's still in Beta so this is to be expected.

#8 OFFLINE   michaelyork29

michaelyork29

Godfather

• Registered
  • 284 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:55 PM

I have an HR20 and an XBox 360 connected to my wireless bridge.

While I do not have numbers, the Xbox downloads much, much faster than the HR20 on my 20mb connection.

Oh my ---....do you have the new FiOS connection!?!??!?!? :)
(4) HR20-700
(2) HR20-100
(1) HR21-700
(1) HR10-250
(1) R15-100
(2) D11
(1) Zinwell WB616
(1) Slimline Ka/Ku 5LNB Dish
Manufacturer Codes
Support DBSTalk.com!

#9 OFFLINE   funhouse69

funhouse69

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 03:45 AM

I'm a Network Engineer and have managed network equipment in my house. With that in mind I've done several tests on download speeds / times and now that more people are starting to utilize the DOD Service I will do some more.

My Internet connection is a Rock Solid 20Mb / 5Mb (FIOS). Before this was added to the national release that is being rolled out now I was able to get a consistent 7Mb/Sec download. This seemed to be capped by D*

You can check out this thread here http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=99446 however keep in mind that this is in the Cutting Edge Section and you need to be a member to access it.
Was with D* for over 10 years then switched to the dark-side a few years ago and haven't looked back. I truly enjoy the 50% savings and uninterrupted service

#10 OFFLINE   funhouse69

funhouse69

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 05:53 AM

I did another test this morning and I have confirmed that they are still capping the bandwidth at 7Mb/Sec per connection. I kicked off one download on my HR20-100 and it was coming down at 7Mb/Sec then I kicked of something on my HR20-700 and it immediately doubled my connection utilization to 14Mb/Sec.

I also did a Speed Test while in the middle of the downloads and it tested out at just over 11Mb/Sec download and 3Mb/Sec upload.

Got to love FIOS :D

Attached Thumbnails

• 2 VOD At Same Time.png

Was with D* for over 10 years then switched to the dark-side a few years ago and haven't looked back. I truly enjoy the 50% savings and uninterrupted service

#11 OFFLINE   Mixer

Mixer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 06:12 AM

Now that a lot more people are downloading shows it is putting more of a bandwidth usage on the servers these files are coming from right? So D* is going to have to evalute that while the product is still in beta and make adjudments accordingly.
HR20-700:Component, TV:Mitsubishi WS65807, Audio is connected using Digital Toslink cable. OTA:NO, Locals:New York, Native:Off, Network:Yes, eSata:No, AT9 dish, BBC: Yes, Harmony 880. HR20 is wired, Streaming Music and Photos through Twonky Media Server and internet connection is 5MB DSL.

#12 OFFLINE   dervari

dervari

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 777 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 06:35 AM

I did another test this morning and I have confirmed that they are still capping the bandwidth at 7Mb/Sec per connection. I kicked off one download on my HR20-100 and it was coming down at 7Mb/Sec then I kicked of something on my HR20-700 and it immediately doubled my connection utilization to 14Mb/Sec.
Got to love FIOS :D

That's the $64k qestion...why some people appear to be capped by DTV at 1.8-2.0mb/s while other people are getting 7mb/s. I, too, am a network engineer and have full SNMP monitoring of my Netscreen as well as my Baystack switch. While downloading from DTV I started a download of a 500mb file. The download was running at 4mb/s while the DTV download stayed around 1.8-2.0mb/s. So, my internet connection is stable.

I wonder if DTV's provider could be Verizon, so when sending to Verizon users the traffic remains on the same network and doesn't have to traverse IXPs.

#13 OFFLINE   funhouse69

funhouse69

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:23 PM

That's the $64k qestion...why some people appear to be capped by DTV at 1.8-2.0mb/s while other people are getting 7mb/s. I, too, am a network engineer and have full SNMP monitoring of my Netscreen as well as my Baystack switch. While downloading from DTV I started a download of a 500mb file. The download was running at 4mb/s while the DTV download stayed around 1.8-2.0mb/s. So, my internet connection is stable.

I wonder if DTV's provider could be Verizon, so when sending to Verizon users the traffic remains on the same network and doesn't have to traverse IXPs.

If you do a Trace Route on the IP Address that has been posted for DOD you will get an idea of which provider they are using. I just did it and it looks like Level 3 is hosting their servers on the West Coast.

So depending on the ISP you are using it will all depend on the peering agreements that they have with other ISP's to get you there. It takes me about 20 hops to get there all with really good ping times so based on that I would say that Verizon has some good peering agreements / preferred routes to and or with Level 3.

I have tested the speed several times and always have had the same download speed for a single connection. I only got my second HR20 up on DOD last weekend which gave me the ability to test the second one. As more people are getting on board with DOD I will test at various times and see if I see any change.

spam firewall