Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can I ask an obvious yet perhaps dumb question here?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 11:58 AM

Why do we need a broadband connection for DOD? Why doesn't the DOD function through the dish? I understand the 2-way interactivity of broadband...sending and recieving via cable or DSL and the ability of the HR20 to access D* through the internet.

BUT...doesn't "Directway" function solely through a dish? Why can't the HR20 (or another D* DVR) function the same way? Seems like it would solve a lot of issues for those who don't have all the necessities to connect to DOD, and make it more universally accepted and utilized by the average user...
What did Shakespeare say? "Cowards die a thousand deaths, the brave man... only 500"?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SDizzle

SDizzle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:08 PM

Good question, but with Directway for example you still need a modem to access the network. I believe the ethernet is necessary as there is no way your existing dish could access the internet to dial into D*'s DOD data base....?
HR34-700 (1), HR23-700 (1), HR22-100 (1), HR20-700 (1), HR21-700 (1), HR21-100 (1)
Running a SWM16 with DECA
Retired: HR20-700 (1), HR10-250 (1), R10 (1), DTivo DSR-704 (1), D-10 (4), D-11 (4), R15-500 (4)

#3 OFFLINE   packfan909

packfan909

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:12 PM

Why do we need a broadband connection for DOD? Why doesn't the DOD function through the dish? I understand the 2-way interactivity of broadband...sending and recieving via cable or DSL and the ability of the HR20 to access D* through the internet.

BUT...doesn't "Directway" function solely through a dish? Why can't the HR20 (or another D* DVR) function the same way? Seems like it would solve a lot of issues for those who don't have all the necessities to connect to DOD, and make it more universally accepted and utilized by the average user...

DirecTV just can not have thousands of titles available for downlink via their existing satellites. The only effective way to deliver the content is via a broadband connection. Since they are widely installed, it makes the most sense to deliver on demand content.

I have been testing this and can say that the quality of the SD content is very good. Some shows are not as good when it comes to PQ, but items on the Discovery Channels and the Encore movies it is difficult to see any difference between the satellite and the internet delivered channels.

Directway uses a different dish or LNB attachment to an existing dish. Not the same satellites used for video delivery. I guess this is feasible, but one would still need to subscribe to Directway or what is now called HugesNet to be able to get content that way.

pf
DirecTV & Sirius Subscriber - Hardware on Profile
HR20-700 CFG: OTA Y | LAN: Bridged | 1080i Str | Rem IR Harmony 676 | HDMI
HR20-700 CFG: OTA Y | LAN: Wired | 480p Str | Rem RF RC24 | Component
HR21-700 CFG: OTA Y | LAN: Wired | 1080i LB | Rem RC32 | Component
uPnP Software: TVersity Pro BETA 1.5
Internet: Fiber 10MB via Surewest, Airlink+ Router

#4 OFFLINE   jschramm

jschramm

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:13 PM

Directway is very expensive and very slow.

#5 OFFLINE   packfan909

packfan909

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:15 PM

Directway is very expensive and very slow.

Yes, but for some people it is the only option.

pf

#6 OFFLINE   Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:18 PM

But as HughesNet (sorry about that...) operates via a 2-way satellite platform, couldn't this technology be somehow iplemented (obviously at some future date) to uplink/downlink content from some main server somewhere by D* for their DOD service?

Leads one to ponder....
What did Shakespeare say? "Cowards die a thousand deaths, the brave man... only 500"?

#7 OFFLINE   packfan909

packfan909

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:24 PM

But as HughesNet (sorry about that...) operates via a 2-way satellite platform, couldn't this technology be somehow iplemented (obviously at some future date) to uplink/downlink content from some main server somewhere by D* for their DOD service?

Leads one to ponder....

Hey I mis-spelled Hughes too so I am just as to blame!

I think they could bundle a solution for those outside of range of DSL, FIOS, Cable, and GMRS.

I am not sure if they still have single ODU's that have the LNB's for both D* and HughesNet. I remember the older reflectors that were just for the 101 had LNB's for HughesNet on the same reflector. Not sure if they have 5LNB reflectors that can handle an LNB for the HughesNet location as well.

Someone else know the answer to that question?

pf

#8 OFFLINE   rorkin

rorkin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:22 PM

There needs to be a way for non-dvr (H20) owners to get vod through their computer then network to the H20 or tv.. If Itunes can do it, why cant directv ??

spam firewall