Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Wasn't there a deal with NBC?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fancydancy

fancydancy

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:12 AM

I can't recall exactly, but I thought about a year ago DIRECTV had a deal in place to show NBC shows on demand for free or $1. This DOD feature is cool but not much use for me until the networks and HBO are up and running. Are there going to be complications for the networks because the channel numbers are different depending on your local market?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:15 AM

LONG ago... there was an announcement...

Not sure if it is still going to be applied to "today's" DoD
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,827 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:21 AM

I would think it would benefit NBC to be available, and I know they are on some cableco VOD systems, so it's not impossible.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:22 AM

The OP brings up a good question ... just how will VOD channels for the broadcast networks be numbered? DIRECTV has been adding 1000 to the regular channel number to get the VOD channel number, but with local networks, what will DIRECTV do? Use the DNS channel numbers + 1000?

#5 OFFLINE   jwebb1970

jwebb1970

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:26 AM

I would think it would benefit NBC to be available, and I know they are on some cableco VOD systems, so it's not impossible.

When I was still w/ Comcast, NBC offered their major pilots from this season (BIONIC WOMAN, CHUCK, LIFE, JOURNEYMAN) OnDemand (and in HD/5.1) for about 2 wks before they aired, as well as several promos spots for returning/upcoming shows. After the season started, they vanished.

CBS & ABC did have several OnDemand offerings, both SD & HD. CBS offered CSI & JERICHO in HD (as well as all their primetime dramas & SURVIVOR in SD). ABC had recently gone live w/ a small handful of shows (DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, DIRTY SEXY MONEY), both HD/SD.

Remember hearing that network OnDemand via Comcast was market area dependant. Considering D* is a nation-wide market and DoD is Internet-based, and D* has the corporate pull that it possesses, I would imagine all major nets will eventually hop on the DoD bandwagon after it goes national for all subscribers.
"I'm really only an Atheist on Christmas and Easter. The rest of the time---it really doesn't matter." - Dr. House

#6 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:31 AM

The OP brings up a good question ... just how will VOD channels for the broadcast networks be numbered? DIRECTV has been adding 1000 to the regular channel number to get the VOD channel number, but with local networks, what will DIRECTV do? Use the DNS channel numbers + 1000?

Probably "eventually"... if the DoD takes off.
You will see in the contracts for the DoD, "channel placement" requirements.

But ultimately... they would probably just get a number in a "national network" block.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

spam firewall