Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How do you get video on demand?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Score023

Score023

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:33 AM

I know you have to hook up an internet connection to your hr20 700 but how do you do that? Is it better to use wireless?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jtn

jtn

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 856 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:36 AM

I know you have to hook up an internet connection to your hr20 700 but how do you do that? Is it better to use wireless?

Thanks.

http://www.dbstalk.c...0&highlight=vod

Wired or Wireless doesn't matter either should be fine. Look at the HR20 like a computer, add it to your network the same as any other computer.
Living Room: HR20-700S - OTA enabled; Networking & Internet working
Bedroom : HR20-700S - OTA not used; Networking & Internet working
Firmware on both units CE0x1C3
AT-9/Zinwell switch
Using WRT54GS firmware 7.50.02 Linksys for all devices and Internet. Working for download of On Demand. Disabled wireless for extra security.
Comcast Internet & Basic w/discount

#3 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:40 AM

You can connect it wired or wireless with a wireless bridge or wireless game adapter, whatever is easier for you.

You also need to have the software that has DoD (VOD) in it. 0x1B4 is the latest CE and it is also going national on a staggered roll out.

Once you are connected to the internet and you have software with DoD in it you just have to activate it in the "IWANTMYVOD" hidden menu and wait for DirecTV to activate you.

To get to the hidden menu you need to press menu-->search-->keyword-->type "IWANTMYVOD"-->continue-->all. When it finds nothing press and hold the menu and info button on the front of the unit together for 2 seconds and let go. A hidden menu will pop up and you can turn it on.

#4 OFFLINE   OldRick

OldRick

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:55 AM

To answer the original question: No, the only reasons to use wireless to hook it up are if you cannot run an Ethernet wire from the DVR to your DSL or cable modem, or if the modem/router does not have enough Ethernet connectors.

Introducing wireless into the setup will cost you money, and will reduce both reliability and performance. Use a wire if you can.

#5 OFFLINE   Score023

Score023

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 01:54 PM

My broadband connection is on a different floor do I have to get a slitter and just run a line from my modem or do I have to buy a separate modem?

#6 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 01:56 PM

My broadband connection is on a different floor do I have to get a slitter and just run a line from my modem or do I have to buy a separate modem?

If you only have a modem you need to get a router. Then you would run the line from the modem to the router. Then one line to your PC and the other line to your HR20 unless you want to go wireless. Then you would get a wireless router and wireless bridge or wireless game adapter with a ethernet connection not USB.

#7 OFFLINE   Score023

Score023

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 02:17 PM

Thanks. Sorry for starting this thread I just found the other one that was already exiting.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...