Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Now that DoD is National ... How should DoD menu navigation work?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

Poll: Should DoD menu navigation be changed? (Please read first post before you vote!) (223 member(s) have cast votes)

Should DoD menu navigation be changed? (Please read first post before you vote!)

1. Yes - change it: Use CH/PG-UP/DN for in-menu navigation and use RED/GREEN to switch to the previous or next DoD screen (118 votes [52.91%])

Percentage of vote: 52.91%

2. Yes - change it: Use CH/PG-UP/DN for in-menu navigation and use some other way to switch to the previous or next DoD screen (describe in a response below) (34 votes [15.25%])

Percentage of vote: 15.25%

3. No - leave it as is: Continue using CH//PG-UP/DN to switch to the next or previous DoD screen; use single arrow UP/DN for in-menu navigation (50 votes [22.42%])

Percentage of vote: 22.42%

4. I don't care / I don't use DoD (21 votes [9.42%])

Percentage of vote: 9.42%

Vote

#1 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,996 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 08:25 AM

There was a poll about this topic when DoD was first released as Cutting Edge software, but now that DoD has gone national and the user base is expanding, I think it's time to revisit the question of how menu navigation within DoD screens should work.

I have been using DoD since the first CE that enabled it, and I immensely dislike that DoD screens are presented as menus but don't behave like menus.

On every menu screen I can interact with, I can press CHANNEL/PAGE-DOWN and CHANNEL/PAGE-UP and move the selector to the bottom or top of the menu.

Sadly, DIRECTV chose to make CH-UP/DN move to the next or previous DoD menu. Nice idea, but horrible implementation. Why? When you launch DoD from the Quick Menu, you're taking to the DoD home page. If you spy that nice "More VOD" menu option at the bottom of the screen and try to get there with one CH-DN ... Woops! You're thrown out of DoD and taken to ... an XM station!

So you use a menu to get to another menu and ... get kicked out of the menus! :down:

As others have pointed out, the XM Station is "Virus", which often has crude, lewd, and rude content. So not only did you lose your original channel buffer (being maintained in the PIG while you are in the DoD menus), you're presented with potentially objectional "adult" content from Virus jockeys like Opie and Anthony.

In my opinion, here's what DIRECTV should do: Make CH-UP and CH-DN be screen navigation keys, just like everywhere else in the GUI, and make the unused RED and GREEN keys be the PREV and NEXT VOD keys (adding these next to YELLOW and BLUE at the bottom of every VOD Menu).

What do you think DIRECTV should do, if anything? Should DoD menu navigation be changed?

- Yes - change it: Use CH/PG-UP/DN for in-menu navigation and use RED/GREEN to switch to the previous or next DoD screen
- Yes - change it: Use CH/PG-UP/DN for in-menu navigation and use some other way to switch to the previous or next DoD screen (describe in a response below)
- No - leave it as is: Continue using CH//PG-UP/DN to switch to the next or previous DoD screen; use single arrow UP/DN for in-menu navigation
- I don't care / I don't use DoD

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 08:54 AM

Somewhere between 1 and 2.. I have the "more vod" to change channels.. would like the channel up/down to just page in vod screens..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#3 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 09:00 AM

I agree with houskamp, I don't necessarily care if number 1 works and if they want to do number 2 (I voted for #2), that would be fine with me as well. I'm really pushing for the CH UP/DN change. I also posted this at the other thread:

2. Change the behavior of the Move to Top action in the queue. Moving something to the top of queue should make it the current download, not the next download. For example, I queue up a few things and looking at the list decide I want to watch the third item. If I move it to the top, I would like the current download to pause and the new item to start downloading so I can begin watching it ASAP. This does raise a logic issue of what to do if the user is already watching the currently downloading show -- the easiest solution would be to have a pop up message saying that the current show is not complete, and ask for acknowledgement that the user wants to switch to the new item. In this case, the playback of the current show would stop when the end of the already downloaded portion is reached.

Thank you for posting this idea as it reminded me of one of my other "peeves". I agree that once you move a program to the top of the Queue, you should have the option to over-ride the first item on the list and begin download on the one you're Queue-ing.

Once you pause the initial downloading program, it should become movable and when you bump up another program, the new program should become the downloading priority.

-or- you should be able to select which program you want to download in no matter which order. If I want to start item 3, I should not have to move it to the top and then cancel download 1. I may still want download 1 but just not first. Now, unless there's another way, I have to delete download one and move download three to the top and restart the downloading... then go back and "find" download 1 again and add it back to the queue.

I hope it makes sense, I can try and clarify it if it's not so clear. :)
- Andy
My Setup - (Computer Setup Included)
HR20-700 - / - / H20-100 -
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE<-- to DBSTalk.com and become a DBSTalk Club Member!

#4 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 09:01 AM

I voted for #2 because I do think the channel up/down should work like you said.

As for the other part I don't really care how that is done.

#5 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 09:04 AM

As others have pointed out, the XM Station is "Virus", which often has crude, lewd, and rude content. So not only did you lose your original channel buffer (being maintained in the PIG while you are in the DoD menus), you're presented with potentially objectional "adult" content from Virus jockeys like Opie and Anthony.

It was mentioned that I could "filter" this channel from my list - I don't want to have to filter MY list and I'm sure there are many others out there that just wouldn't know how and wouldn't want to learn how. I don't even have kids yet and it bothers me. If I did have kids and they were searching for some Cartoon network stuff or whatever and they landed on the Virus channel - Mrs. Coffey would not be a happy camper and if Mrs. Coffey isn't happy, Mr. Coffey is DEFINATELY not going to be happy. ;)
- Andy
My Setup - (Computer Setup Included)
HR20-700 - / - / H20-100 -
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE<-- to DBSTalk.com and become a DBSTalk Club Member!

#6 OFFLINE   jes

jes

Icon

• Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 03:37 PM

... but now that DoD has gone national and the user base is expanding...

As I understand DoD, as of today, you need an HR20-700... Until it includes all versions of HR20/HR21, I don't consider that "gone national", more like beta testing... :D

#7 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,996 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 03:53 PM

As I understand DoD, as of today, you need an HR20-700... Until it includes all versions of HR20/HR21, I don't consider that "gone national", more like beta testing... :D

Previously, DoD was only available to Cutting Edge testers. That is no longer the case, as it is now available to any HR20 -700 user regardless of participation in the Cutting Edge program, so it is "national".

#8 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,970 posts
  • LocationMaryland, DC suburbs

Posted 27 October 2007 - 03:55 PM

Somewhere between 1 and 2.. I have the "more vod" to change channels.. would like the channel up/down to just page in vod screens..

I voted for #2 because I do think the channel up/down should work like you said.

As for the other part I don't really care how that is done.

Agree, agree.
If Ch Dn gets me to more VOD, I can navigate easily through the pages.
DOD is a menu disguised as a channel. It should work as a menu.

#9 OFFLINE   code4code5

code4code5

Godfather

• Registered
  • 442 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 05:26 PM

The only place that Channel up/down doesn't work for page up/down is on the home screen, Channel 1000. Everywhere else, it works just as it should on my 100.

#10 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,996 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:07 AM

The only place that Channel up/down doesn't work for page up/down is on the home screen, Channel 1000. Everywhere else, it works just as it should on my 100.

Are you sayingn that if you go to channel 1202, CNN-DoD, you can press CHANNEL-DN and it doesn't switch to the DoD home menu, instead the highlight jumps to the bottom of the screen? That's not happening on my HR20-700.

On every DoD menu, CH-UP and CH-DN only change DoD screens, instead of moving the selector to the top or bottom of the menu.

#11 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,996 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 10:18 PM

After a weekend and very few visitors (where is everyone!?), here's where we stand:

53 votes have been case, and 72% want CH-UP/DN to be changed, so they work as PG-UP/DN and not jump to another DoD menu.

#12 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 11:00 PM

Treating the DOD items as a special type of Guide menu items is sort of like the Unix convention of considering all sorts of things as files, e.g. device control entries, even though they may be very different from ordinary text or binary files. Being a Unix person, I don't have a problem with a "menu" which is a local grouping of items from the Guide. So I voted against your proposal.
Greg

#13 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,996 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:07 AM

Treating the DOD items as a special type of Guide menu items is sort of like the Unix convention of considering all sorts of things as files, e.g. device control entries, even though they may be very different from ordinary text or binary files. Being a Unix person, I don't have a problem with a "menu" which is a local grouping of items from the Guide. So I voted against your proposal.

As a former UNIX guy, although I don't quite understand your reasoning, I welcome your participation in the poll!

#14 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:37 AM

The DoD navigation is quite inconsistent. At one time you can be in the left hand navi and hit page down it works as expected, navigating thru the list. But other times it will operate channel you are on.

I guess the answer is when operating in a displayed menu the CHAN/PAGE button should always be PAGE. Even if the menu is a channel itself.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#15 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,668 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:42 AM

My preference has always been that ch up/down allow you to navigate from one VOD channel/page to the next. I don't like the jump to the top/bottom of the menu on the main page as there aren't that many options to choose from anyway. Besides, I think the average user will tend to "flip channels".

#16 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,996 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:04 PM

My preference has always been that ch up/down allow you to navigate from one VOD channel/page to the next. I don't like the jump to the top/bottom of the menu on the main page as there aren't that many options to choose from anyway. Besides, I think the average user will tend to "flip channels".

I think that's really the question: What will the average user think when they see a DoD screen? That they're in a channel or in a menu? If they think they're in a menu, they'll probably expect menu-like behavior. If they think they're in a channel ... they'd expect CH+/- to change channels.

My belief is most users will think they're in a menu screen, just like the screen displayed when they hit LIST+YELLOW to get to their To Do List and their prioritizer, or MENU + SETUP, with the PIG in the top-right and a list of options down the left side of the screen.

#17 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,996 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 04:19 AM

With 89 votes cast, 68.54% of the poll respondents want true menu navigation within the DoD screens, with CHANNEL-UP/DN working as PAGE-UP/PAGE-DN keys just like in the rest of the GUI.

#18 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,996 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 04:09 AM

With 101 votes case, 72.28% of the poll respondents want true menu navigation within the DoD screens.

Keep those votes coming!

#19 OFFLINE   Dan B

Dan B

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:57 AM

I've accidentally switched to that XM channel a half dozen times since getting DoD yesterday, so...yeah I'd like to fix that.

#20 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,996 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 05:13 AM

Bump

Protected By... spam firewall...And...