Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

D* and Pegasus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bills976

bills976

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 04:49 PM

Have a question for all you Directv fanatics:

I posted here awhile back about a possible switch to D* from Echostar. Unfortunately, I live in a D* served area (I pay taxes there, dog license, etc), but my mailing address is in an adjointing town which is served by Pegasus. Now I'm trying to figure out a way to avoid being owned by Pegasus as I want a decent promotion as well as a DirecTivo (It is my understanding that Pegasus does not offer the Directivo?). Do they go by the billing address or the service address when they determine whether you're owned by D* or Pegasus? I know that my cable company always listed Lagrangeville (D* territory) as my service address but Pleasant Valley as my mailing address. Could I take out a PO Box in LaGrange to get around this if they use your billing address? Or would my only option be to go with Pegasus? (I don't want to "move")

Also, to those who have Pegasus (maybe even you dealer folk), is the service that bad? I really want YES, and I definitely qualify for it being 70 miles from NYC near Poughkeepsie, but I'm not sure I want to put up with billing errors. If you need a benchmark, I can tolerate E*'s customer service if that's of any help.

Thanks for your expertise and your responses.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 07:32 PM

Directv uses your actual, physical service address when determining whether you are a Pegasus/NRTC customer or a Directv customer. The billing/mailing address is irrelevant.

Sign up using your actual address, then make your mailing address whatever it needs to be to get your bill on time every month.
Fox News : It grows on you... kinda like cancer.

#3 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 11:35 PM

The fact that the EXACT SAME packages from Pegasus cost $4.50 than D* is enough for me NOT to want to go through them.

#4 OFFLINE   bills976

bills976

Godfather/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 09:51 AM

OK, just one more question, then. Does D* check service addresses against a ZIP+4 database like Dish does to validate your service address? My problem is that my service address technically doesn't exist according to the postal service as I supposedly live in the adjacent town. Is a ZIP sufficient enough? Thanks again, you've been a great help.
Living Room: HR20-700 connected to a 52" Sony KDL-52Z5100
OTA: Radio Shack 15-2187 diplexed over SWM with Channel Master diplexers
Dish: CalAmp Slimline w/ WNC SWMline LNB
Spare receiver gathering dust: Phillips DSR-704

#5 OFFLINE   spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 05:36 PM

I have no idea. They should accept the address the tax assessor uses on the deed to the property (I guarantee HE knows where you live :P ).

If they are using the wrong info based on zip+4, make them aware of it and escalate the situation up the customer service food chain as high as necessary.

DO NOT ACCEPT PEGASUS as your satellite provider, even if you have to "move" to get away from them.
Fox News : It grows on you... kinda like cancer.

#6 OFFLINE   bills976

bills976

Godfather/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 09:39 PM

So I finally got up enough nerve to switch from Echostar to Hughes and ordered from Orbitsat.com - got a Sony Directivo Series II plus an extra basic Sony receiver installed for $300... what amazed me is that they called while I was placing my order online, before I finished filling out all the screens. Wanted to know if I was having any trouble, had any questions, etc. Pretty nice service. Best Buy on the other hand had terrible prices and service. Told me that I had to buy the two room system, dump the one receiver, and buy my own multiswitch which "costs around 80 bucks... I don't remember exactly what it costs." They couldn't give me an estimate on the system, so I said goodbye to them. Hopefully the Tivo will outshine my 501.

Incidentally, you were right spanish about the Pegasus thing... using the Directv address as the service address has worked so far. Now I just have to cross my fingers that it will work for activation :).

#7 Guest_GregM_*

Guest_GregM_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2003 - 08:19 AM

There is no Sony Directivo Series II. The only series II DirecTiVo is manufactured by Hughes, the HDVR2.

#8 OFFLINE   bills976

bills976

Godfather/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 10:57 AM

Yes, my mistake. I meant that I got a Sony T-60.

spam firewall