Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA replacement question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sean67854

sean67854

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:39 AM

I have a Seagate Freeagent Pro as my external drive on my HR20. Has been working flawlessly since April, however this weekend it started exhibiting strange behavior this weekend. Now I'm not totally certain that it's the drive's fault, but that's my first guess.

The first thing that happened was a spontaneous reboot, after which, the external drive was no longer visible. I got that fixed, then went on to watch a football game.

First thing that happened was during trick play. We were rewinding a football game for just a few seconds, then we we fast forwarded to live TV, once it caught up, it hung up for around 45 seconds or so, then began a stuttered playback (it would play for a couple of seconds, then hang for a couple of seconds). I changed the channel, then came back and all was well.

Then a couple of hours later there was some stuttering again during normal viewing and another spontaneous reboot. Again, external drive wasn't visible, but I got that fixed with another reboot.

After that I tried to watch a few recorded items. on the first 2 the playback would pause occasionally for just a second or two. It wasn't like when the signal craps out either because there was no pixelation and the programming would literally pause midword and then continue on after a second or two.

The reason I think it is the drive is because around the time all this was happening, I noticed that the drive was making a really loud buzzing noise. It hadn't made that particular noise before.

All that stuff happened on Saturday.

On Sunday, the drive was still making it's horrendous noise, but there didn't seem to be any playback issues. Some menu items were a little slow, but no actual problems and no reboots.

So what do you guys think? External drive issue or HR20 issue. I've actually been thinking about getting the HR20 replaced for a while because I think I have a flaky off-air tuner (stuff drops really badly through the box even with 95 signal strenght, but comes through fine on the TV).

If I replace the drive, is there any way to clone it onto another drive to retain all my data?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   elixir26

elixir26

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:00 AM

Here is a link for copying your hard drive.

http://www.dbstalk.c...copy hard drive

Sounds like you might need it.
Good Luck
1 HR20-700
3 HR24-500
1 HR24-100
1 AZiO External Enclosure
WD 2tb WD20EADS,
WD 2tb WD20EURS,

spam firewall