Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DVR Service Not activated - Please help!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dmcdougald

dmcdougald

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:37 AM

For the last 3 weeks or so I've been getting this message a lot. From looking around it looks like, when it happens, people get this message all the time and can't to anything. That is not what is happening to me.

At least 5 or 6 times during playback of a hour-long recording (FFing thru commercials and occasional pause and resume) I get that error on any DVR function (trick play, List btn, etc.) I almost always get it 3 times in a row. So typical scenario is:

- Press FF
- Get DVR Service Not activated msg.
- Press Select (to remove msg)
- Press FF
- Get Msg.
- Press Select
- Press FF.
- Get Msg.
- Press Select.
- Press FF.

And finally it begins to FF.

It doesn't always happen 3 times. Sometimes once, sometimes twice, but never more than 3 times.

I've called D* and had them re-add my DVR service and resend verification. No change. I downloaded a CE - No Change. I reverted back to 0x18a build. No change. As of yesterday the DVR was still on 0x18a so I don't know how 0x1B4 will affect things.

Has anybody ever seen anything like this? Does anybody have any suggestions? I'm VERY annoyed with this and am about ready to have them send me a new DVR.

Any help is appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:38 AM

Ask that a new Access Card be sent to you, as it is the piece of the system that is responsible for that "authorization"
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   dmcdougald

dmcdougald

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:09 PM

Thanks. I'll do that.

#4 OFFLINE   TigerDriver

TigerDriver

Electronics Engineer

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:40 PM

For the last 3 weeks or so I've been getting this message a lot. From looking around it looks like, when it happens, people get this message all the time and can't to anything. That is not what is happening to me.

At least 5 or 6 times during playback of a hour-long recording (FFing thru commercials and occasional pause and resume) I get that error on any DVR function (trick play, List btn, etc.) I almost always get it 3 times in a row. So typical scenario is:

- Press FF
- Press FF
- Get Msg.
- Press Select
- Press FF.
- Get Msg.
- Press Select.
- Press FF.

It doesn't always happen 3 times. Sometimes once, sometimes twice, but never more than 3 times.

I've called D* and had them re-add my DVR service and resend verification. No change. I downloaded a CE - No Change. I reverted back to 0x18a build. No change. As of yesterday the DVR was still on 0x18a so I don't know how 0x1B4 will affect things.

Has anybody ever seen anything like this? Does anybody have any suggestions? I'm VERY annoyed with this and am about ready to have them send me a new DVR.

Any help is appreciated.

A month or so ago (the day after I upgraded to Premier package!) I got essentially the same behavior (intermittent DVR service messages) on all four of my DVRs. I was also intermittently denied access to some premium channels.

The Tier-1 CSR told me I needed new access cards. I asked her to approximate the odds of four cards simultaneously faililng. After mau-mauing her for a few minutes, she gave me the 800 number and a PIN number for Tier-2 support right away.

The woman at T-2 fiddled around in silence for a few minutes, put me on hold a couple of times, then asked me to reboot one of the units. Rebooting worked fine, so she had me reboot the other 3 DVRS, and they worked fine, too. She told me to call back if the problem returned.

I asked her what she had done, and she just that she had cancelled everything on my account except the basic package--then added everything back in item-by-item, and sent an "authorization strike." (whatever that is). I asked her if I couldn't have done the same thing via the web, and she just replied cryptically, "not exactly."

This all took about 15 minutes, not counting the time required to mau-mau the T1 CSI.

Everything's been working fine for me since, so why not try to bully your way to T2. Can't hurt; might help.
Joe

HR20-100, HR24NC-100, HR21-700
Samsung HLS5687WX 56" DLP
Onkyo TX-SR705 A/V receiver
Samsung Blue-Ray/DVD player
4-channel NTSC modulator

#5 OFFLINE   Darwynz

Darwynz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:40 PM

Not to EVER go against Earl... but I have had strange things like that in the past... ive found that pulling the access card out, cleaning the contact and reseating it seems to work.. might want to try that before calling as it will only take moments to try compared to the days you may have to wait for the new one.

#6 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 01:10 PM

A month or so ago (the day after I upgraded to Premier package!) I got essentially the same behavior (intermittent DVR service messages) on all four of my DVRs. I was also intermittently denied access to some premium channels.

The Tier-1 CSR told me I needed new access cards. I asked her to approximate the odds of four cards simultaneously faililng. After mau-mauing her for a few minutes, she gave me the 800 number and a PIN number for Tier-2 support right away.

The woman at T-2 fiddled around in silence for a few minutes, put me on hold a couple of times, then asked me to reboot one of the units. Rebooting worked fine, so she had me reboot the other 3 DVRS, and they worked fine, too. She told me to call back if the problem returned.

I asked her what she had done, and she just that she had cancelled everything on my account except the basic package--then added everything back in item-by-item, and sent an "authorization strike." (whatever that is). I asked her if I couldn't have done the same thing via the web, and she just replied cryptically, "not exactly."

This all took about 15 minutes, not counting the time required to mau-mau the T1 CSI.

Everything's been working fine for me since, so why not try to bully your way to T2. Can't hurt; might help.

Doesn't your wife get upset when you mau-mau with others?
I had a similar problem across my account a number of months back and they did the same thing.

#7 OFFLINE   SDizzle

SDizzle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,535 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:23 PM

Just be careful, when they remove all, and re-add. A few things can happen, like forgetting to re-add a sports subscription like ST (in the off season) which in turn does not set you up for auto renew which gives you a cheaper price! They may forget to re-add the protection plan (and upon re-adding it, it will restart the 30 day waiting period) so hopefully you catch it before you need it! Or, last but not least, if you were grandfathered into a package (like Premier when DVR service was included), and they remove and re-add it.......you will no longer have DVR included without 15 or so minutes while a "qualified" supervisor has to override and add your old package.

And yes, this has all happened to me personally:lol: :lol:
HR34-700 (1), HR23-700 (1), HR22-100 (1), HR20-700 (1), HR21-700 (1), HR21-100 (1)
Running a SWM16 with DECA
Retired: HR20-700 (1), HR10-250 (1), R10 (1), DTivo DSR-704 (1), D-10 (4), D-11 (4), R15-500 (4)

#8 OFFLINE   jtn

jtn

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 856 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:38 PM

Upon reactivating equipment (DVR) I have had to refresh the units via calling DirecTV to get the problem resolved, and that refresh fixed the DVR.
Living Room: HR20-700S - OTA enabled; Networking & Internet working
Bedroom : HR20-700S - OTA not used; Networking & Internet working
Firmware on both units CE0x1C3
AT-9/Zinwell switch
Using WRT54GS firmware 7.50.02 Linksys for all devices and Internet. Working for download of On Demand. Disabled wireless for extra security.
Comcast Internet & Basic w/discount

#9 OFFLINE   TheSlacker

TheSlacker

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:42 PM

Mine only occurs when I stop the Windows Media Center app running on my pc, which the HR20 is networked to. In fact, every time I get that message, it is immediately followed by a message saying it is disconnected from my pc.

#10 OFFLINE   csgo

csgo

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:55 PM

Mine only occurs when I stop the Windows Media Center app running on my pc, which the HR20 is networked to. In fact, every time I get that message, it is immediately followed by a message saying it is disconnected from my pc.

I get the same error under the same circumstances.

#11 OFFLINE   gphvid

gphvid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 498 posts
  • LocationThousand Oaks, Ca

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:45 AM

- Press FF
- Press FF
- Get Msg.
- Press Select
- Press FF.
- Get Msg.
- Press Select.
- Press FF.

Any help is appreciated.

Mine does that when I do a bunch of keystrokes like the 30-sec skip button 5 or 6 times to fast wind through a commercial. I found that if I hit the select button and then stop and play again, it seems to clear the mesage never to re-appear again. Maybe the button pushing for the commercial skip causes the box to become stupid for a minute...:shrug: But I'm still able to continue on with my watching of pre-recorded shows.

#12 OFFLINE   furjaw

furjaw

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:30 PM

I removed my Access Card.
Then I sprayed a paper towel with WD40 and polished the gold contacts with it.
That solved the "DVR Service Not Activated" problem.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...