DBSTalk Forum banner

L332 Software update

17K views 96 replies 25 participants last post by  tthomps 
#1 ·
Please post when you get this one and your first impressions. It's suppose to be released today.

On L331, on one of my 921 receivers, I can't even change the channel without my unit locking up and my screen going totally blank. Often even a reboot won't fix it, so I'm little eager to this one to arrive.

#78 ·
thanks for the reply regarding the drive, however my problem is software, not hardware. There have been many 921 replacements here, with no improvement -- I agree with michael p - the issue is the software. (my spouse is "IT" tech and we do know the issue is software)

Worked lilke a dream until the changes at end of Jan - from there it's been downhill ever since. The 921 WAS a remarkable device; it's a shame to experience what has happened since the software changes.

I do hope that 921 software is soon resolved. I don't care about the "hd" aspect and the mpeg 4 vs 2 - I just want the darn thing to work as it did before the software foul-up. Granted, the technology is evolving - but my 921 should still perform the operations that it was purchased to perform.

Would really like to know if there's any hope for the 921 software to be fixed and an appropriate timetable for the "fix". I can't entertain the possibility of upgrading until this issue is resolved.

thanks,
doxieland

#81 ·
snomanx3 said:
My 921 is at 2.78 and it wont pick up any sats now....
Is anyone else able to get sats with this sw version still??
My 921 will not grab new sw for some reason....
P Smith said:
Do you remember what was version number in 'good' time ?
To answer two questions with one post:
L278 was the last "good" version. It became obsolete when the Daylight Savings Time date changed. If you are not seeing any satellites I'd check your LNB's cables and connections.

Even with out-of-date software the receiver should still see signals on at least some transponders (it won't see the transponders that carry MPEG-4 signals, but that is a small minority of transponders).

#83 ·
P Smith said:
I'm pretty sure you can revert to previous version, was is the L2.78 ?
Unfortunately E* has never reverted to L278 for anybody. One of the side-affects of L278 is free OTA guide data, which would give the bean counters fits. I believe that guide data helped stabilize the 921 (fewer "no information available" blocks in the guide). One of the bugs in L332 is scrolling out in time on the guide locks up the 921, I'm willing to bet the guide data has something to do with this bug (but not willing to pay E* $5 to prove it :p). I already pay $6 for the DVR fee, that should cover the guide! At the very least it should guarantee that the DVR actually works :p :mad: :nono:

#85 ·
P Smith said:
Dish did that a few times, so you can do that personally for your 921 too. Just 'dd' 3 and 4th partitions and swap them while do restore. I could mis-numbered, you could check by size - both have 1 GB.
:confused:
What do you mean by "DD"? If this involves opening the cover forget it!

Anyway how can it revert to L278 when that version is not spooling? I figure all they can do is rehit the 921 with the current s/w. For me they just send a new 921 (I'm on #10). I wish, for once, that they would just do a rehit. I have way too much on my HD.

#86 ·
P Smith said:
Dish did that a few times, so you can do that personally for your 921 too. Just 'dd' 3 and 4th partitions and swap them while do restore. I could mis-numbered, you could check by size - both have 1 GB.
Can you elaborate for those of us who are not Linux fluent? Even if it reverts to L278, how does that keep it from updating back to L332?

#87 ·
doxieland said:
thanks for the reply regarding the drive, however my problem is software, not hardware. There have been many 921 replacements here, with no improvement -- I agree with michael p - the issue is the software. (my spouse is "IT" tech and we do know the issue is software)

Worked lilke a dream until the changes at end of Jan - from there it's been downhill ever since. The 921 WAS a remarkable device; it's a shame to experience what has happened since the software changes.

I do hope that 921 software is soon resolved. I don't care about the "hd" aspect and the mpeg 4 vs 2 - I just want the darn thing to work as it did before the software foul-up. Granted, the technology is evolving - but my 921 should still perform the operations that it was purchased to perform.

Would really like to know if there's any hope for the 921 software to be fixed and an appropriate timetable for the "fix". I can't entertain the possibility of upgrading until this issue is resolved.

thanks,
doxieland
new issues dish 921 --

last friday night cut off recordings at random times, 37 min instead of 1hr, 7 min instead of half hour; sunday night some times did not start -
yet on downstairs 508 recordings of same programs were complete.... so it's not the signal going out - so glad I was able to use the old technology for "back-up" - but that doesn't always work - 1-tuner vs 2 tuner (but at least the 1-tuner 508 is working..)

still requiring daily reboots, sometimes more than once -
have swapped out receivers too many times, when issue is software -
anyone else have info to share?
thanks for "listening"

doxieland

#92 ·
Michael P said:
I would have switched to a 622 by now if not for the "HD Enabling fee" :p
we'd love to upgrade to the latest and greatest - but want to retire the oldest non-dvr receiver we have, not our 921. The 921 should function properly so that we can rotate our equipment..... our 508s are working ok now, with the p.369, am dreading the day they force the 4.0 download (would love the "nbr" but NOT the problems - I seem to be suffering with 921 p.332 software burn-out, maybe that's the medical code for it's driving me to the edge of sanity!

I have been reading some of the boards for the "latest and greatest" and I am reluctant to jump into a new product that seems to have its own issues, as well.

the rebooting daily is just a fact of life here, sometimes a couple of times a day - and yep, traveling into the epg seems to trigger the freeze-ups and slow-downs.

thanks for listening....
doxieland

#93 ·
Does anyone at E* advance tech still read this forum? Every time I call I give the same explanation yet they seem not to know of these common bugs (outside of the notes on my account). THe last time they were going to do a "build" (I guess that means they were going to try and get a 921 to act-up like mine - all they need is to fire up any of the 9 921's I already sent back).

Just a glance of this thread should be enough evidence to condemn L332 to history.

#94 ·
doxieland said:
it'a one day past the 332, and as previously posted - it is NOT the fix that we've been waiting for.

today's problems include video blacking out - audio still there - when this happens, remote will not function. Receiver did stop properly at end of event once after "record to end of event " selected, however the next time it didn't.

When using the guide to browse and select programming to record, it appears to become overloaded and will lock up, requiring a hard boot.

When something is recording on one tuner we definitely CANNOT use the guide or watch a recorded show because it seems to "provoke" the lockup to occur, which causes a hard reboot. At that time, we will get a break in the recording with a loss of however long it takes to reboot. Of course, that is an improvement from the entire recording being lost, as before.

Is the REAL fix going to happen soon? is anyone else having these issues?
Just wondering if everyone has given up hope for software fixes for 921. There has been no change, other than my adapting to life with daily 921 reboots and issues.

Are there still 921 owners out there? Have you had any help or offers from dish?

thanks,
doxieland

#96 ·
I'm still here (although my wife probably thinks I need my head examined for putting up with these issues so long).

When L330 came out I had not had the issues others had, but E* was quick to come out with L331. That version too caused somebody problems but not me. Then L332 came along and my perpetual headache began. I had a series of replacement units that all had the same issue. this proved (to me anyway) that it's definitely the L332 software that is buggy and not the hardware.

But will anybody listen? I still think that L278 was the best version that they ever released. We lost that version thanks to the change in daylight savings time (that and the fact that L278 gave non subscribers "free" OTA guide data). I strongly believe that the presence of OTA guide data made the 921 more stable, since some of the L332 bugs rear their ugly heads when scrolling out into the future in the EPG.

#97 ·
Up until the last several days, I was pleasantly surprise with my 921. For the past two months, I had no issues. Then the menu lockups, see-through gray overlay, and inactive buttons on recorded replay started up again. We have done a warm reboot five or six times. I still like the 921, and I am going to run it until it will not reboot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.