DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HR21 National Release announced - On Demand enabled

8K views 88 replies 34 participants last post by  spartanstew 
#1 ·
#77 ·
This may have been answered previously, but my question is since this is downloaded via broadband you can theoretically be dvr'ing 3 shows at a time now?
2 tuners and ethernet connection? Is there any issues with watching one and dvr'ing 3? Wonder if anyone has tested this?

#79 ·
I got the new software yesterday and I went to try out the On Demand stuff (my HR21 is already connected to the internet and I've seen the "DIRECTV on DEMAND - Charge $0.00" message on my account activity page at directv.com). I found the "on demand" menu item and selected it. I then selected movies and searched through the list of available movies. I picked one to add to the queue, but it didn't add it to the queue: it just gave me a message to call DirecTV to activate the service. Except I've already seen the "DirecTV on Demand - Charge $0" message on my account. What do I have to do to get this to work?

Also, I noticed that some of the movies have a "$" symbol next to the names and some don't. Am I correct to assume that the one with the "$" will cost me some money to download and that the others will download at no charge? Will there still be no charge if the source of the movie is a channel that I do not subscribe to (like Starz)?

#80 ·
Supervolcano said:
Doesn't the the company serving directv's DoD use more than one server farm to serve different parts of the country?

Could be different caps for different farms.
Could be that those caps have changed recently.
Could be different caps for different times of the day.
There's lots of possible explanations.

Notice, your in New Jersey and spauldingclan is in Oregon.
;)
And I'd guess there MIGHT BE less downloading going on now than back in November as I suspect the DoD Fad MIGHT have wore off for a good share of the intial large crowd of HR20 DoD testers who were jumping on it hard .... but I could be wrong.
as you can tell by my post I am not the only person stating this they are all over the country

#81 ·
#83 ·
FredZ said:
I got the new software yesterday and I went to try out the On Demand stuff (my HR21 is already connected to the internet and I've seen the "DIRECTV on DEMAND - Charge $0.00" message on my account activity page at directv.com). I found the "on demand" menu item and selected it. I then selected movies and searched through the list of available movies. I picked one to add to the queue, but it didn't add it to the queue: it just gave me a message to call DirecTV to activate the service. Except I've already seen the "DirecTV on Demand - Charge $0" message on my account. What do I have to do to get this to work?

Also, I noticed that some of the movies have a "$" symbol next to the names and some don't. Am I correct to assume that the one with the "$" will cost me some money to download and that the others will download at no charge? Will there still be no charge if the source of the movie is a channel that I do not subscribe to (like Starz)?
I get the same message when I select a program on DOD. It tells me to call DirectTv...I have called and activated and it shows up on my bill too as of 2/10. Anyone know what the problem could be? The guide is populated and I can scroll through all of the DOD programs.

#85 ·
I have a HR21-200 and got the CE release last weekend (2/8/08). For the last 2 days we've been geting 717 satellite eros for *some* HD channels, but not all. Does anyone think that this could be related to the National Release?
Is there anyway for me to tell whether the NR has ben pushed to me, since I was running the same version from the CE?
Does anyone have any recommendations for how to fix the 717 errors (I've already tried the red button reset to no avail)?

Thanks in advance

#86 ·
FredZ said:

When mine would not download a reset fixed it.

#87 ·
Hi folks. My two HR21-200's got the new software earlier this week. Since then, we have noticed that they occasionally lose sound, and we have to turn off the box and turn it back on again in order to get it working.

Has anyone else heard of this or encountered this issue? Any ideas on what might be the issue or a potential solve? I haven't called tech support yet.

Thanks in advance.

#89 ·
pdvale said:
I am just testing it out..

Your program will show a % downloaded and be color coded. Only when 66+% has been downloaded the status will be green which means that you should be able to watch the program from start to finish without interuption. Right now my internet speed is at best 300KB/sec and I will have to wait about 30 mins or so to watch a 1hr 30 min SD movie without interuption.

So if your going to watch a HD PPV, I would wait for the next showing, but if the program you want to watch is on in a few hours or so I might then download it.
I also have FIOS, but I have the lowest speed they offer (5 Mbps download
2 Mbps upload). As soon as I select something to download via DOD, I can go to the list and start watching it without ever catching up to the download and without any stuttering or glitches. I do not have to wait for 66%. I can start watching it at 1%

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.