DBSTalk Forum banner

HR21-700: 0x0221 Issues / Discussion

27K views 216 replies 111 participants last post by  Rickrd 
#1 ·
HR21-700: 0x0221
National Release began 4/3/2008

Release notes:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=124771

Please keep discussion confined to issues only with this receiver.

Please don't post "Got it" or "Didn't Get it" posts, they will be deleted.

#128 ·
gnahc79 said:
For those with the DD issues, when switching from a non-DD to DD channel does the receiver switch to DD mode properly and not output audio or does the receiver stay in non-DD mode and not output audio? Just wondering...
My receiver does show DD or PCM correctly, there just isn't any sound. None with DD, I have to make a "bonk" for it to start in PCM.

#129 ·
HR21-700
Harmon/Kardon AVR 225 Receiver
Optical Cable Audio
HDMI Video to
Sony Bravia 1080P

NO Dolby through Optical

With Dolby activated on the HR21-700 my Receiver's little pictures of the speakers show a non Dolby Digital Signal but no sound at all. Turn off the Dolby on my HR21 and my receiver shows the same pictures and has sound. If I try to run optical from my TV to the receiver I get nothing with Dolby activated.

This update some how has disabled Dolby Digital Surround on the HR21-700.

Bravo!

#130 ·
I have experienced numerous software issues with the HR21-700 and I would like to know if anyone can relate to them:

1. When I press a key on my remote like FFWD for instance, the dvr takes about 10 sec. or so to respond to it. If I hit FFWD 2x, the dvr will take it's time to catch up to it and it may never ffwd past the 1x speed because of the delay. I will then go to hit PLAY, and the dvr will not respond to it until 30 seconds and up to one minute later. THIS HAPPENS ON A DAILY BASIS AND ON ANY SOFTWARE UPDATE.

2. If I go into a Series Pass and I go to extend the time on one particular show by going into the Record Once option, it will extend the time on all of the shows for the season and not just that particular show.

3. Earlier today ( Mon. 04/07 ) I reverted back from 0225 to 0221, I took a late afternoon nap, when I got up in the evening I didn't see the record light on. I turned the tv on and I had a GREEN screen and the dvr was unresponsive. I had to do a rbr to fix it. Luckily the show that I had set to record will be repeated on Tuesday.

4. Of course we all know about the Dolby Digital Issue which I currently have which I've already posted about. I had to shut it off in the menu in order to get sound. I am anticipating a new software update to correct this problem immediately!!

DIRECTV HAS HAD PROBLEMS SINCE SEPT. 2006 WHEN THEY RELEASED THEIR DVR'S. ALTHOUGH THE PROBLEMS HAVE DISSAPATED, THERE ARE STILL TOO MANY ISSUES WITH THEM. I KNOW THAT NO COMPANY IS PERFECT, BUT I KNOW OTHER PEOPLE WHO HAVE DVR'S BY OTHER COMPANIES AND THEY DO NOT HAVE NEARLY THE SAME AMOUNT OF ISSUES AS I AND OTHERS HERE HAVE EXPERIENCED; ESPECIALLY IN ONLY A YEAR AND A HALF. PROBLEMS OCCUR ON EVERY DVR I HAVE EVER HAD FROM DIRECTV. ALTHOUGH THEY COMPENSATE YOU ON YOUR BILL, IT IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH AT THIS POINT; THEY ARE JUST NOT RELIABLE ENOUGH IMHO. I AM HIGHLY CONSIDERING NOW GOING TO DISH OR COMCAST; JUST TO RELIEVE THE FRUSTRATIONS AND STRESS!!

#131 ·
jelatime said:
After update...

2) "Searching for Satellite" appears on some channels - never had that happen before.
Try resetting the receiver via the menus - that's what I did and it fixed the problem. First time ever I had the "Searching for Satellite" message on some channels, starting immediately after the software update. Something is definitely not right with this release when it causes problems where many channels get that message until you do a reset of the receiver.

#135 ·
happy31 said:
Thursday night (4/3), Dolby Digital worked fine. Friday (4/4), after update, no Dolby Digital. Ruined season premier of Battlestar.

Running HR21 connected via optical cable to Denon AVR-5700. In short, no Dolby Digital output via optical; also tested no Dolby Digital via co-axial cable. Tested individual cables and alternative Dolby digital devices (DVD player and old TIVO DVR) into same Denon inputs and all worked fine. Clearly this upgrade killed my Dolby Digital.

I was able to get PCM Dolby 2.1 sound via both the analog outputs and over optical cable by changing Dolby Digital setting in Audio menu to "OFF." Actually, need to go back to audio menu between channel changes to reset to "OFF" to get reciever to recognize signal.

Placed call to DirecTV support for assistance on Sunday. They will get back to me in "3-4 days." Very dissapointing. Will repost if/ when resolved. At least I now know its a software issue, not hardware. :nono2:
DirecTV called back today (Tuesday 4/8). Took additional information including brand and model of receiver. They apparently have had "many, many calls" on this issue -- and are working on a fix. No timeline for resolution other than advice to watch DirecTV website for information and to check back with Customer Service frequently via email for further updates. I take some comfort they know and are working on a fix . . . but am dissapointed this bug made it through their QC/QA process in the process. Staying tuned for now . . .in PCM!

#136 ·
I’m having a strange problem with the program numbering in my Prioritizer list.

A couple of nights ago I tried to add a program series and received a message that the Prioritizer was full (50 items). I knew there was something wrong, because I only had 38 shows entered. When I went to the Prioritizer screen I found that every entry was duplicated. For example, 20 – New Yankee Workshop, 20 - New Yankee Workshop, 21 – Dateline, 21- Dateline, 22- Office, 22 – Office, etc. The last entry was listed as #77. When I deleted #77 all of the duplicates disappeared, but the numbering started at 40 and ended at 77. I went back to the program search function and was now able to add a program. When I went back to the Prioritizer screen the new program showed up as #78. In other words, my priority list goes from #40 to #78. I did a restart, but it made no difference. The programs were still numbered #40 - #78.

Tonight I went into the Prioritizer and deleted a program and all of a sudden the numbering problem cleared up or so I thought. The list went for #1 - #37 and everything look fine until I exited the Prioritizer screen and went back into it. Once again the list starts at #40. Everything seems to record correctly, just the numbers are off.

Has anyone seen this before, or have any suggestions on how to correct it. I would guess that the Prioritizer database has some type of indexing problem, but I guess I’m not sure if this is a known issue or just a one time glitch in my system. I suppose I could do a system reset, but I hate to lose all of my recorded programs if I can avoid it, especially if this is a known issue and will just reoccur.

Thanks.

---------------------

HR21-700 0x0221
5 LNB Slimline
Samsung LN-T4661F
Denon AVR2802

#137 ·
This release really SUCKS.
How can they make a NR such garbage? How can I roll my DVR back to the previous version that DIDN'T SUCK as bad?

Missed a recorded show tonight completely (American Idol). Boo Hoo I know.
I couldn't really care, but now I have to listen all about it from the wife, and other house dwellers.... ugh. I will be calling D*TV tomorrow to vent my displeasure. Do they think that customers BUY DVR's to miss shows?

This POS displays 771 errors from time to time, but the standard HD receiver up stairs never EVER displays that it can't find a satellite.

Is it really that difficult? How can one "loose" the satellite, while the other one NEVER loses it? Seems like some utter incompetence to me on someones part...

#138 ·
I had my HR21-700 set to record Boston Legal on ABC @10pm today on 04/08/08. I also had Gene Simmons Family Jewels set to record on A&E @10:30pm today. The TV was off while they were recording. I saw the orange light on to indicate that the dvr was recording. The last channel that the dvr was left on before it was shut off earlier in the afternoon was Ch. 80 which is CBSE which is actually a basically black screen. I leave it on that channel when I go to nap in the afternoon; don't ask why.
Anyways, when I turned everything on at 11:40pm tonight the tv showed Ch.80 and yet in the Playlist and under History it shows as both shows have recorded; no partials listed. Somebody give me a logical explanation how this occurred? How could have both shows recorded in full and yet the dvr was left on Ch. 80 and not on one of the channels that it had last recorded. As far as I know, both tuners had to be used since Boston Legal records for an hour and at 10:30pm both tuners were needed to be in use. One tuner cannot record 2 shows at once and I do not have a SWM connection nor do I use an antenna. The only logical conclusion I can think of is that maybe Boston Legal had a partial recording and it shut off by 10:30pm and it's a false reading on the dvr. Even if the dvr reset itself after 11pm then it would leave it on one of the last recorded channels. I will watch both shows tonight as I keep late night hours and report back if one of the shows had a bad recording. Until then I will stay bewildered as I cannot comprehend how 2 shows can record at the same time and not use both tuners in order to do so.

#139 ·
I have lost tuner 1 twice since the NR. On Saturday and Tuesday. I turned on the dvr to find Searching for Satellite 771. Checked setup sat signal tuner 1 is all 0’s tuner 2 is all 90’s. menu reset fixed the problem. On Tuesday I swapped the sat in cables to eliminate cable/dish/lnb. Will see what happens.

#140 ·
Hello all, Just noticed my hr21 was unresponsive also when I checked it. I have not used it since the weekend so I never realized it got an update.. I had to pull the plug(no response from the remote or power button!!).. After the reset, it worked fine and I did not lose the recorded shows.. DD works fine with optical into my pioneer vsx-815 receiver....

#141 ·
bdcottle said:
I have lost tuner 1 twice since the NR. On Saturday and Tuesday. I turned on the dvr to find Searching for Satellite 771. Checked setup sat signal tuner 1 is all 0's tuner 2 is all 90's. menu reset fixed the problem. On Tuesday I swapped the sat in cables to eliminate cable/dish/lnb. Will see what happens.
I had the same basic problem-- the day after this NR was pushed out, I had all 0s on tuner 2 (and 771 errors) while tuner 1 was fine. Menu reset also fixed it for me. But before I reset, I swapped the sat in cables and the problem didn't move. Tuner 2 still had 0s and tuner 1 was still ok, even after the cables were swapped.

#143 ·
Hi...newbie to DBSTalk here. I've been having issues with my DTV HR21-700, and found this site, and various related threads, which I have read.

My unit drops the audio output when it:

- plays a recorded show
- comes out of Fast forward >> or >>> modes back to play
- is reversed < during playback

It does NOT display the problem when it returns to play when it is in fast forward > mode, Strange...go to >> and you lose it.

The solution is to unplug the digital coax or the fiber optic outputs, and plug them back in, which restores the audio output immediately.

I have tried unplugging it for hours and rebooting it, as well as hitting the reset switch.
I have searched for options but the audio output has no menu controls...other than to switch Dolby Digital On or OFF, which I have tried, to no avail.

I am also experiencing no audio on channel up and down, except in the lower channels like 2-7.

I am using optic or digital coax into my Outlaw Audio 991.

I noticed these issues in the past few days, and checked the latest software update, which is 4/4/08., 0x0221.

#144 ·
My HR21-700 received the update on Friday morning and ever since then it hard crashes every few hours. The image freezes, the sound keeps playing, but the unit is completly unresponsive to the remote and to the buttons on the front. The only way to get it back is to use the red reset button or pull the plug. This fixes it for a few hours, but it has consistently been in this state every morning and every evening when I get home. I've seen some people reporting isolated crashes, but is anyone else having these consistent crashes?

Prior to the update a few missed recordings were the only issues I've ever experienced.

#145 ·
Directv must have hired more operators,,, for the first time in YEARS I was able to talk to a human with ZERO hold time.

She said to unplug the two inputs into Sat 1 and sat 2, reverse them, and hard reboot. (unplug)

She said my audio issues, (explained 2 posts up) with recorded shows would go away on new recordings.

I did, and she was right. I have to say i was surprised. I set it to Dolby Dig.

Hope this helps somebody.

#146 ·
I pulled the plug on my HR21-700 for a hard reset and the Dolby Signal flowed like the mighty buffalo.

Don't know if this will help the Yamaha People but it worked for this Harmon Guy!

HR21-700
Harmon/Kardon AVR 225 Receiver
Optical Cable Audio
HDMI Video to
Sony Bravia 1080P

#148 ·
bl2520 said:
My HR21-700 received the update on Friday morning and ever since then it hard crashes every few hours. The image freezes, the sound keeps playing, but the unit is completly unresponsive to the remote and to the buttons on the front. The only way to get it back is to use the red reset button or pull the plug. This fixes it for a few hours, but it has consistently been in this state every morning and every evening when I get home. I've seen some people reporting isolated crashes, but is anyone else having these consistent crashes?

Prior to the update a few missed recordings were the only issues I've ever experienced.
I had these types of crashes with my first HR21. Ended up being a overheat problem. The internal temp would rise over a few hours and crash at about 150f. If I unplugged it for 10 minutes it would run for another few hours before crashing. Direct sent me another and it runs stable at 114f.

#149 ·
Got a HR21 last Friday and it upgrades to 0x221 right away. American Idol tonight was audio dropping out TERRIBLE. Watching the east coast Fox HD national feed. HDMI to Olevia 747i. Same audio drops on composite input. Was watching about 15 minutes behind live, so was recorded already. Seemed to be able to fix by pausing for a bit, but not perfect and would come back. RBR helped for 10 minutes then came back.

Wife's comment: "This thing sucks, and the DTivo NEVER did this. Why did we get this peice of junk?"

Now watching Big brother and it is fine audio wise, but it is in 480i...

(Before I can miss my tivo functions, I just need this POS to work like a DVR should... It can't do the basics right now as reliable as my DTivo did for 5 years.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.