DBSTalk Forum banner

D* refused to replace bad leased receiver.

6K views 72 replies 37 participants last post by  Upstream 
#1 ·
What's up with this: I paid $99 for a H20 at best buy. After a year, it failed (searching for satellite on bootup). Two old receivers work fine on same cable. Called to get receiver swapped out (leased receiver) and CSR told me it wasn't leased, it was a mirror fee, and said I would have to pay $79 to have a service tech come out and tell me what I already know. I told her to just turn it off. Then she tells me since its leased, they would be mailing a box to send it back to them (after just telling me it wasn't leased). So, I'm out my $99, AND another $79 or $99 if I want to continue with another receiver, or have to pay $300 to buy out my contract. These people are f*cking crazy...

#29 ·
Davenlr said:
MrMojojojo, your diagnosis was spot on.

Miller24: Your suggestion was on the money. Did a CE download (even tho its not a CE window) and it immediatly said "found new software", downloaded it, and booted back up perfectly.

DBSTalk: 100%
Directv Tech Support: (no comment).

Thanks guys.
What is a CE download?

#32 ·
Not to oversimplify things, or maybe you already checked this: We had one receiver out of five that was searching for satellite. Called tech support, she led me through resets, unhooking the cables and rehooking. Advised I check cables from the satellite (didn't make sense to me since the other four were working, but oh well) and the multiswitch connections.

Finally found the culprit. A little kitty cat (we knew she was under the bed earlier in the day) apparently had a little wire snack while in there. She chewed through the cable!

Bottom line, did you check your input cables?

#33 ·
It doesn't matter.

If I want a new cable box, I swap it out. remote.. same thing. Broken or not, doesn't matter, it's leased. If I want to swap my HDDVR for the newer model with more disc space, no problem.

DirecTV wants all of the tax benefits of leasing receivers, yet wants us to subsize hundreds of dollars towards every new box, us to pay for repairs, and us to be responsible for this hardware.

They're double dipping. Trust me, it will be in the courts soon and it will change, I guarantee it.

#34 ·
Nomo1: Yes sir, I disconnected the cable to the H20 that wasn't working and tried two old receivers I had long since replaced on that same cable, and they both worked. Put the H20 back on, and it didn't. Good suggestion though, as you are correct, each cable run to the dish is its own source for trouble. Squirrels got one of my parents and killed their bedroom receiver :)

#35 ·
ClubSteeler said:
It doesn't matter.

If I want a new cable box, I swap it out. remote.. same thing. Broken or not, doesn't matter, it's leased. If I want to swap my HDDVR for the newer model with more disc space, no problem.

DirecTV wants all of the tax benefits of leasing receivers, yet wants us to subsize hundreds of dollars towards every new box, us to pay for repairs, and us to be responsible for this hardware.

They're double dipping. Trust me, it will be in the courts soon and it will change, I guarantee it.
What are you talking about?? The only hardware that you are responsible for is the non-leased stuff. Dish, cables, multi-switch, etc. If a reciever goes, you get a new one. Totally free if you have PP and for s/h if you dont. Not sure what you are referencing or claiming is double dipping. And just because it is a lease doesnt entitle you to just swap it out on a whim. No lease agreement that I have ever seen allows you to do that. Atleast not without some other type of expense or commitment. i am sure they will swap it out if you agree to another two years from date of swap though.

#36 ·
ClubSteeler said:
It doesn't matter.

jimb726 said:
What are you talking about??
I was thinking the exact same thing while I was reading that. What he said is probably true if he is talking about his local cable company and not DirecTV. Personally, I have no problem with DirecTV NOT running their business like my local cable company!

As for it winding up in the courts - whatever. :rolleyes: They're not doing anything illegal and I don't know of any court that will inject themselves to the point of telling them how they can and can't do business within the law.

#37 ·
Davenlr said:
MrMojojojo, your diagnosis was spot on.

Miller24: Your suggestion was on the money. Did a CE download (even tho its not a CE window) and it immediatly said "found new software", downloaded it, and booted back up perfectly.

DBSTalk: 100%
Directv Tech Support: (no comment).

Thanks guys.
Somehow, I don't think D* will allow their CSRs to tell people to load up CE (beta-testing) software.

#39 ·
jimb726 said:
What are you talking about?? The only hardware that you are responsible for is the non-leased stuff. Dish, cables, multi-switch, etc. If a reciever goes, you get a new one. Totally free if you have PP and for s/h if you dont. Not sure what you are referencing or claiming is double dipping. And just because it is a lease doesnt entitle you to just swap it out on a whim. No lease agreement that I have ever seen allows you to do that. Atleast not without some other type of expense or commitment. i am sure they will swap it out if you agree to another two years from date of swap though.
This Brown's fan doesn't read the original post to understand what this thread is about before responding.

They wouldn't swap out his box. So.... if he wants a new box.. What does he have to do? (Jeopardy music playing in the background).... Give up? Fork over $$$ to "buy" another "lease".

BTW - Call DirecTv and tell them you want to swap out your current leased SD box for the latest and greatest HD DVR box. It's a lease right? Should be no problem. Good luck.

Or tell them you just want to swap models, no service call needed, nothing is broken, just box swapping.

Isn't it also wonderful how these "leases" are usually "purchased" for $199? So you are actually hleping DirecTV subsidize them. It's complete double-dipping. Oh and if the "lease" has a problem, you're paying for a service call.

Oh wait, I forgot, you can pay even more for an insurance policy to cover service.

I don't know about Jluc's cable comment. Mine has no cost for leases, replace or upgrade at any time, never pay a penny for a service call, no contracts, better picture quality, better DVR software, and is actually cheaper. But I'm not trying to turn this into a cable vs sat debate....

Man, the stockholders must LOVE this CEO. Not really sure how many more ways he could possibly squeeze money out of his customers without them realizing it, and if they do, they're happy about it. The guy is a genius. May hat is off to him. If I have 1/10 his business skills I'd be a millionaire.

#44 ·
The Office of the President just called me...Told me if I had any other problem with my H20 to call him directly, and he would ship a new one out overnite.

He also stated all leased receivers are swapped out for shipping. The Protection plan is only nessessary if you want your dish, alignment, cables, covered.

He said they prefer sending out receiver swaps when the problem has been isolated to the receiver, as truck rolls cost them lots more than the cost to check the swapped receiver they get back to see if it works or not.

He further apologized for the CSR who gave me all the wrong info, and went on to ask me the exact time I called. I told him, and he asked if she was the one I had deactivate the receiver. I said, yes. He told me he would make sure she didn't give out any more bad advice....hopefully, they will send her to csr school....

In any case, everyone was correct, leases do NOT cost a service call when its the receiver, but would if the problem turns out to be something else, unless you have the PP.

I was most impressed, and we chatted for quite a while. It seemed he was aware of the tech support problem, and seemed genuinely interested in improving it. Time will tell.

#47 ·
Davenlr said:
The Office of the President just called me...Told me if I had any other problem with my H20 to call him directly, and he would ship a new one out overnite.

He also stated all leased receivers are swapped out for shipping. The Protection plan is only nessessary if you want your dish, alignment, cables, covered.

He said they prefer sending out receiver swaps when the problem has been isolated to the receiver, as truck rolls cost them lots more than the cost to check the swapped receiver they get back to see if it works or not.

He further apologized for the CSR who gave me all the wrong info, and went on to ask me the exact time I called. I told him, and he asked if she was the one I had deactivate the receiver. I said, yes. He told me he would make sure she didn't give out any more bad advice....hopefully, they will send her to csr school....

In any case, everyone was correct, leases do NOT cost a service call when its the receiver, but would if the problem turns out to be something else, unless you have the PP.

I was most impressed, and we chatted for quite a while. It seemed he was aware of the tech support problem, and seemed genuinely interested in improving it. Time will tell.
I had to deal with the Office of the President a while back and they finally was able to solve my problem. Looks like I may have to call them again about the scheduling of my free HD equipment installation. It was to be done yesterday, but the person that was to do this was in La. while I am in SC. I re-scheduled for next week, but looking at the order on D* website it shows it to be done this morning in which I cannot make due to meetings. I don't know if I should call D* or if that will only confuse them more. This is the main reason I wanted them to just ship the receiver to me even if they still had to charge for the installation. The CSR I re-scheduled with did not give me an order number this time around either so cannot check it. Wonder if I should call them again or will that confuse them more?

#48 ·
ClubSteeler said:
This Brown's fan doesn't read the original post to understand what this thread is about before responding.

They wouldn't swap out his box. So.... if he wants a new box.. What does he have to do? (Jeopardy music playing in the background).... Give up? Fork over $$$ to "buy" another "lease".

BTW - Call DirecTv and tell them you want to swap out your current leased SD box for the latest and greatest HD DVR box. It's a lease right? Should be no problem. Good luck.

Or tell them you just want to swap models, no service call needed, nothing is broken, just box swapping.

Isn't it also wonderful how these "leases" are usually "purchased" for $199? So you are actually hleping DirecTV subsidize them. It's complete double-dipping. Oh and if the "lease" has a problem, you're paying for a service call.

Oh wait, I forgot, you can pay even more for an insurance policy to cover service.

I don't know about Jluc's cable comment. Mine has no cost for leases, replace or upgrade at any time, never pay a penny for a service call, no contracts, better picture quality, better DVR software, and is actually cheaper. But I'm not trying to turn this into a cable vs sat debate....

Man, the stockholders must LOVE this CEO. Not really sure how many more ways he could possibly squeeze money out of his customers without them realizing it, and if they do, they're happy about it. The guy is a genius. May hat is off to him. If I have 1/10 his business skills I'd be a millionaire.
So, If I go down to the local car dealer and lease a 08 BMW for 3 years. When the new 09 model comes out, I can go to the dealer and demand the new one, because it is a lease? Come on.

Also, just because it is a lease, I shouldn't expect to pay for repairs to my vehicle (once it is outside of warranty)

#49 ·
As has been stated many times here, comparing the lease on a DirecTV receiver and a lease on a car often comes up with contradictions. Here is one of them. A car lease is not a good analogy.

Not that I'm defending ClubSteeler's sour grapes post. I disagree with that even more. I love how people who have bought in on the program later complain loudly about it. If you don't like DirecTV's business model, then why did you subscribe in the first place? Even if you joined DirecTV when I did, back when everything was owned, the moment you needed new equipment that was leased, you could have said, Whoa, Nelly, I didn't agree to this! and gone to another service provider.

It's like sleeping with a woman and later saying, Pregnant? You never told me you could get pregnant!

Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

And I'm glad that things worked out well for you, Dave. :)

#50 ·
ClubSteeler said:

Perhaps the Steelers fan can learn to use complete sentences and thoughts. First I was responding to your post, not the OP's. You said "If I want a new cable box, I swap it out. remote.. same thing. Broken or not, doesn't matter, it's leased. If I want to swap my HDDVR for the newer model with more disc space, no problem." To which I responded "The only hardware that you are responsible for is the non-leased stuff. Dish, cables, multi-switch, etc. If a reciever goes, you get a new one. Totally free if you have PP and for s/h if you dont." Pretty cut and dry. Furth and even more ridiculous is your statement that they wont upgrade your SD reciever to an HD one? Why would they do that for free. I got my SD TiVo upgraded to an HR20 for 99 dollars, but I certainly didn't expect them to do it for free. That is just stupid. "Uhh Mr. Ford dealer, I am leasing a Focus, please upgrade me for free to an F-150 Supercab for free." Not going to work, nor should it. As far as the statement on the repairs, my cell company charges me to look at my phone even though I have the PP, the dealership charges to look at my car even if it under warranty, hell the utility companies charge to roll a truck. What many people dont post is the fact that is the reciever is in fact the problem, many times the service call fee is waived or reduced, and I think anyone could make a stong case for the reduction if that was the technicians findings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.