DBSTalk Forum banner

The OTA scramble bug, after an update, bites again

4K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  texasbrit 
#1 ·
The reason I didn't post this under the 0x022B issues thread, is because this is an ongoing bug, and not related to the latest national software release.

I was automatically upgraded to the latest national release last night on all 3 HR20-700s.

I don't lose OTA. But, it gets scrambled. This happens EVERY time there is a software update, a via remote reset, a red button reset, or even a power failure.

Some stations I had selected get "unchecked" and others then were not selected become "checked".

I'm in the Wichita/Hutchinson, KS market. The issue is that there are two channel 3s and 8s. This is where the failure occurs. All of the double-digit channels are unaffected.

It's NOT a simply matter of unchecking, and rechecking, the unwanted/desired channels and sub-channels under "edit stations". It does not work. Once you get to the signal meters, there is no signal indicated on the proper channels.

I'm forced to back to "initial setup" to successfully repair the OTA.

This isn't a major bug. But, it is a major hassle, considering that I DVR HD via local OTA. If I miss an update, or there was a power failure, I'll miss series recording anything on NBC or PBS, until I discover the problem.

Please fix this bug, before it bites again!

I can envision less technical D* customers selecting channel KSNW 3-1 or KPTS 8-1 , via the guide or remote, only to get a "searching for signal" error, and thinking that the problem is with their antenna or the local stations. That means calls to a CSR to "fix" what will require going back through set-up.

Thanks.

See less See more
#27 ·
My H20 antenna setup never needs to be reset.

After every power surge or firmware upgrade I have to first reset OTA settings, set up OTA antenna, then edit OTA channels on my HR20-700 to get KSNW & KPTS. On my HR20-100 I only have to re-run OTA setup, then edit OTA channels to get KSNW & KPTS.

Why can't the HR20's be fixed to hold the OTA setup like the H20?

#28 ·
lakaw said:
My H20 antenna setup never needs to be reset.

After every power surge or firmware upgrade I have to first reset OTA settings, set up OTA antenna, then edit OTA channels on my HR20-700 to get KSNW & KPTS. On my HR20-100 I only have to re-run OTA setup, then edit OTA channels to get KSNW & KPTS.

Why can't the HR20's be fixed to hold the OTA setup like the H20?
Realy strange.. I have 2 HR20-700s and a HR21-700/AM21.. never had to touch the OTA setup since I 1st set them up (well over a year)...
Hope they can figuire out why some do and some don't have this problem..

#29 ·
I posted extensively about this a while ago in another thread, and also in this thread (July). There is a software bug that screws up the channel list on a reset, for people who have multiple channels with the same virtual channel number. My guess is that the software stores the channel list by virtual channel number and on reset it does not know which station to choose. The AM21 on the HR21 and both the HR20s have the same issue, since I assume they use the same software.
I have no idea when/if this bug will be fixed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.