DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Report: Acoustic Research Remotes to support DIRECTV RF

32K views 274 replies 55 participants last post by  Stuart Sweet 
#1 ·
This afternoon I had two excellent meetings: One with the manufacturer's representative from Universal Electronics, and one with the distributor, Audiovox/Acoustic Research.

Within three months, Acoustic Research will be releasing the first programmable universal remotes that support DIRECTV RF directly.

Let me be clear: These will be RF remotes that will work like the Logitech 890 and use a repeater to control IR devices, but will control DIRECTV MPEG4 DVRs directly in RF mode.

They will come programmed with the complete codeset for DIRECTV receivers as well as other manufacturers, and will be configurable both from the remote and from the PC.

Unlike Logitech remotes, they come with color buttons and a "List" button as well.

There will be two models: the XSight Touch, which will have a touch screen, and the XSight Color, which will not.

Prices will be $249 for the XSight Touch and $199 for the XSight Color.

In addition, Acoustic Research also plans to release a line of children's remotes preprogrammed for DIRECTV receivers which will feature single buttons for childrens' channels. There will be a standard version and a version with an antimicrobial coating.

See less See more
#28 ·
SDizzle said:
My Harmony 1000 was $499 and it doesn't unlock any paid content, including ST......did I get ripped off:confused:
Not at all. :D

There are lots of people that get huge sticker shock when they start to research *real* remotes since they are used to $29 Radio Shack "universal" remotes. ;) I know when I got my first MX-500 for $199 many years ago, open box no less, my wife thought I was nuts. One month later she said it was the best money we had spent. No protest at all when I got our MX-700, she's all about it now.

I like the Color version of this remote. I don't need RF and I don't like touch screens so this one is perfect and cheaper as a bonus. I do wish it was all black like the touch version though. True test will be how does it feel in hand. Hopefully Remote Central will do a big review on it. My local home theater store went under earlier this year so I won't have an opportunity to get my hands on one for a test drive unless they actually sell them in Best Buy and other big box stores.

#31 ·
theratpatrol said:
Would we need that now though with this new remote? If it can do RF for the HR's plus IR for your other devices, I don't think we would?
mogulman said:
Now if only Directv allowed RF and IR on the receivers, this might work with my slingbox.
There is one reason right there. But in my case, I am using 1 receiver to feed 3 TV's. RF only on 2 of the TV's works doesn't pose a problem, but the 3rd TV is in the playroom and all the components in that room are controlled by an MX-900 which I don't want to get rid of. So if I could use the new remote on the 2 TV via RF, I could still use the MX-900 in the playroom.

I do think it will be a great remote for my parents though.

#32 ·
I have an MX-500 that came with my Sunfire Theater Grand II. I love it, have all my macros set up just like I want it. But I have been waiting to get something with color buttons for Directv and my HD-DVD player. This looks like the one to me. Hope I can get my hands on one to see how it operates!

#33 ·
Yes, rereading the press releases, it looks like only the more expensive of the two will do RF. This will give people who don't need RF the opportunity to have a better button layout than the Harmony at a lower price.

I am most impressed that these remotes have a "list" button. As far as I know this is the first time a major manufacturer's remote has included one, yet it's the most commonly pressed button for DVR users.

JP1 compatibility? I don't know, but as soon as I talk to my new friends at UEI I'll ask.

#35 ·
lakaw said:
Are these programmed via code only or is there a PC interface like the Harmony's? IMO the PC interface is what makes the Harmonies so powerfully simple.
Unlike Harmony remotes, it can be programmed pretty well from the remote. However it also has a complete setup utility on the PC like Logitech remotes do.

One more thing I don't think I mentioned, the XSight touch can be operated while charging, unlike the Harmony 880 which, honestly you're lucky if it even charges while on the cradle sometimes.

All these remotes are currently on sale in Europe under the One-For-All brand, so they should be in pretty good shape when they start in the US.

#36 ·
Does this remote "wake-up" with motion? If so, will the screen just show the different activites when first picked up (and everything in the off stage), like the 880?

Or will you have to press "Activities" and then press the actual activity?

Since I can't see a "glow" button, I'm assuming they're backlit automatically?

SDizzle said:
With the names of the hard buttons "guide, info, menu, list, etc." and even the 30 second slip button having the same icon, it looks like this remote was made especially with D* remotes in mind! NICE.:)
I thought so too, but then I noticed that the dash is labeled "AV" instead. Kinda odd.

#37 ·
What will make or break this remote is its database of devices... What make Harmony remotes worth the money is that EVERY function of EVERY device can easily be programmed into the device. (It even had the codes for my Obscure Zalman HTPC case remote)

I don't have any experience with AR remotes... but the OneforAll remotes don't even come close to the ease of use and functionality of the Harmony devices. I'm not going to pay $250 for a remote that doesn't have EVERY function available and forces me to keep one of my other remotes out and on hand to use. The reason I got a Harmony is I got sick of using a "Universal" remote and still being forced to have 5 remotes in front of me to use certain functions of each device in my Home Theater.

#38 ·
grooves12 said:
What will make or break this remote is its database of devices... What make Harmony remotes worth the money is that EVERY function of EVERY device can easily be programmed into the device. (It even had the codes for my Obscure Zalman HTPC case remote)

I don't have any experience with AR remotes... but the OneforAll remotes don't even come close to the ease of use and functionality of the Harmony devices. I'm not going to pay $250 for a remote that doesn't have EVERY function available and forces me to keep one of my other remotes out and on hand to use. The reason I got a Harmony is I got sick of using a "Universal" remote and still being forced to have 5 remotes in front of me to use certain functions of each device in my Home Theater.
Are you saying these remotes can't learn new commands?

#41 ·
I read about these remotes a few months ago an a "Centralized Remote" forum but it didn't say anything about DirecTV RF.

This very cool and and I can't wait to try one. :D

Mike

#43 ·
#44 ·
grooves12 said:

I agree 100%! I have absolutely EVERY button for all my devices in my harmony, I NEVER have to grab the OEM remotes.

#45 ·
MicroBeta said:
Phew. Thanks!

offering a ground-breaking range of user-friendly features and functions: touchscreen, full-colour display, touch-slide navigation, control for 18 devices, favourites complete with channel logos, profiles, macros, activities and the legendary One For All learning function - the list of functions goes on and on.

#46 ·
Thaedron said:
Do they work off the 'activity' concept like the Harmony/Logitech remotes do?
Well, since there's a button on the remote labeled "Activities" and the picture of the remote has "Activities" as one of the prominent displays on the screen, I'd say the answer is.....

wait for it.....

Yes.

#47 ·
From looking at it the one button placement I don't like is the record button right below the FFW button. I could see hitting that by mistake easily.

I wonder (and hope) that you can learn/program buttons up on the LCD like on the MX series. I often put more obscure commands on the LCD. Anyone know if the LCD is just for activities or can you put commands on there as well (such as a button to change the TV's aspect ratio for each activity).

#50 ·
grooves12 said:

I either has it already in it's database or it can learn from any remote.

Either way you won't have to use more then one remote.

Mike

#51 ·
Yes this is a learning, activity-based, customizable remote like a Harmony. Is their back end as well-designed as Logitech's? That's what I'd like to know as well, and it will be interesting to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.