DBSTalk Forum banner

ABC DNS or HD Local

854 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  HD AV 
#1 ·
Has anyone noticed Good Morning America NOT being in HD when it first comes on and up to an hour into the show. We have a problem here that the local station blames on ABC. Our local ABC chanel says the network is not broadcasting 16:9 HD so they can't pass it to us. It is sporratic at times, on 10 min, off 20, back on, back off, and this always happens after a local break or commercial. I am trying to determine if this is, indeed, a network issue. I do not believe it is, I think someone is asleep at the switch at our local station. Can any Direct National Service viewers tell me if they have been experiencing this problem. Sometimes GMA will be 4:3 for as much as an hour before going 16:9 HD. If you experience this, then I know our station is not "BSing" me. Please provide answers so I may take appropriate action based on fact and not supposition. Those who get local channels in HD are welcome to respond also as if you don't have this problem, then this also indicated it's our local channel. Thanks.

#3 ·
Thanks Mark, I hope 2 get other confirmation before calling station back. I firmly believe it's the local station and your response just confirms that. Hope 2 hear from others so I can reference responses for station manager, and if necessary, Sinclair Broadcasting.

#4 ·
I cant specifically speak for GMA, but I get my HD locals OTA, and this same scenario happens, a show one week will start in 4:3, someone will correct it after a commercial break, or when they come back from commercial break the show doesnt go back to HD, usually until the next break. In my case its not directv's fault, I know its either the local station, or the whole national feed.

#5 ·
I watch GMA on the Los Angeles DMA feed. The is KABC-TV, and is owned by ABC. I have not experienced the delayed switch from 4:3 to 16:9 for quite a while. Back in the old days (before 2007) it was very common for the local station engineers to forget to switch to HD after an SD station break. However, GMA still has segments in SD, while the studio stuff is in HD.

I suspect it is the local station, especially if they have not switched their local programming to full HD. That means someone in the station has to manually switch from SD to HD when the network program returns.

#6 ·
Local station is HD in studio. They still have to switch something cause local news/weather segments during GMA are in 4:3 when GMA is in 4:3. Usually, if local segment switches to 16:9 HD then when GMA comes back on it's in 16:9 HD too. Sometimes it will switch back to 4:3 after local commercial station has put on in 4:3 even though I know transmitted signal is 720P which is inherrently 16:9 they have to do something when showing 4:3 non HD source such as commercials or other programming because their studio feed for news/weather is sometimes 4:3 during segment when GMA is 16:9, instead of 16:9. Like to hear from others in CST and MST as network feed is hour later than EST. Again, thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.