DBSTalk Forum banner

HD Locals: Los Angeles, CA

22K views 105 replies 45 participants last post by  matty8199 
#1 ·
DMA: Los Angeles, CA
Established: 1/1/2003

#28 ·
Truly poor broadcast quality from KCOP-13 yesterday, 4/12, during the Red Sox/Angels game. The broadcast was produced using the standard fox sports graphics, so I suspect it went out to the rest of the country as HD but was broadcast SD in Los Angeles. Not only that but there were breakups every 10-15 seconds and frequent audio burps.

I do not get KCOP-DT over the air so I can't confirm if this was a broadcast center issue.

#29 ·
OK, I finally recorded both Fox-11 and Fox-399. Fox-11 had some bad dropouts, while Fox-399 went on without a hiccup. So it's NOT a Fox issue.

FWIW, my signal strength is 100 on the spot beam. 88 or so for the national one that actually seems to work better! I've even gone as far as to monitor the signal level while the channel is on through DirecTV's serial port interface. It never dips below 100. So it's not a momentary drop out or something of that nature.

#31 ·
Stuart Sweet said:
Truly poor broadcast quality from KCOP-13 yesterday, 4/12, during the Red Sox/Angels game. The broadcast was produced using the standard fox sports graphics, so I suspect it went out to the rest of the country as HD but was broadcast SD in Los Angeles. Not only that but there were breakups every 10-15 seconds and frequent audio burps.

I do not get KCOP-DT over the air so I can't confirm if this was a broadcast center issue.
OTA looks just as bad. I cannot figure out for the life of me why Arte Moreno leaves his team on this station. They refuse to air anything except wrestling in HD. Even when we know what they are broadcasting is in HD (i.e. the Angels games). FCC - Take away their license! Same with KDOC 56-1. They never use their HD signal to show anything in HD.

#32 ·
djrobx said:
OK, I finally recorded both Fox-11 and Fox-399. Fox-11 had some bad dropouts, while Fox-399 went on without a hiccup. So it's NOT a Fox issue.
I had major problems on Fox-11 last night (17 May) during 'The Simpsons', but not even one hiccup during 'King of the Hill'.
This afternoon I noticed some bad glitching on Fox-11, so I switched over to 399 and it was trouble free.

#34 ·
waltersw said:
bounced to this thread..talking about 24 last night and the first hour having video/audio issues. Looks like it's a LA issue.

So, what's the solution? Skip the local fox 11 and record from Nat. feed 399?
That's my current plan, at least until it gets resolved.
I recorded '24' on 11 and 399 last night. Although I noticed glitches on both feeds, it seemed the ones on 399 were much less severe than the ones on 11.
On 11 the glitches would often result in complete loss of picture and sound for up to 5 seconds, whereas the same glitches on 399 just produced an annoying 'brrrrrp' and some minor pixellation for a much shorter time. The only differing factor I can see is maybe that 11 is on a spot beam and 399 is ConUS? For some reason 11 is affected in a more severe way by these glitches.

#36 ·
Originally Posted by C-Dub006
Another great season of 24 comes to an end. Can't wait until January!. Had a couple of observations on picture quality. Did anyone else in the LA area watching have any moments of pixal breakups (4 times) and lost picture/sound (3 times) for a several seconds?. The lost picture/sound cause a few seconds of lost dialog at critical times during the show. Tried to go back and come out of the commercial earlier, but to no avail. I had DVR'd like always and delayed the screening to avoid the commercials like I'm sure, a lot of people do. Have NEVER had any issues with picture quality in the past. A few breakups now and then, but nothing like last night. Kind of a bummer since it was the end of the season. Maybe just a HD glitch?. I hope its an isolated hiccup.
mrshermanoaks said:
The dropouts just kept coming in "24". Was hugely annoying.
I accidentally posted this in the show discussion area. I have deleted it from there, and added it back here.

C-Dub006, your description is exactly what I saw on two DVRs. I was watching live, and both of them had the exact same pixelation and drop-outs. The two were frame by frame duplicates of each other. I assumed, when I saw that, that the problem was not my equipment, but a problem with what DirecTV got from the broadcast in LA, or in the relay from LA to the uplink. It does not appear to have been seen in other localities.

I never thought of using 399. I'll look into it.

#37 ·
juniormaj said:
That's my current plan, at least until it gets resolved.
I recorded '24' on 11 and 399 last night. Although I noticed glitches on both feeds, it seemed the ones on 399 were much less severe than the ones on 11.
On 11 the glitches would often result in complete loss of picture and sound for up to 5 seconds, whereas the same glitches on 399 just produced an annoying 'brrrrrp' and some minor pixellation for a much shorter time. The only differing factor I can see is maybe that 11 is on a spot beam and 399 is ConUS? For some reason 11 is affected in a more severe way by these glitches.
That is weird.. No matter what, Fox (11 & 13) are cheap stations, and I am hoping that when the analogue goes down in a month, that they will up their signal strength.. I can;t recall if they are moving frequency, but maybe that would help too....

24 the best show on tv, and the worst presentation.. Not Happy, as I saw all of the glitches that everyone else mentioned!!!

#38 ·
inkahauts said:
That is weird.. No matter what, Fox (11 & 13) are cheap stations, and I am hoping that when the analogue goes down in a month, that they will up their signal strength.. I can;t recall if they are moving frequency, but maybe that would help too....

24 the best show on tv, and the worst presentation.. Not Happy, as I saw all of the glitches that everyone else mentioned!!!
I saw a few shows listed on 13 a couple of months ago that looked interesting, but when I watched them there were so many freezes and brrrrps that I gave up on the channel completely. That's a bad testimony, in my opinion.

Thankfully 13 doesn't carry the Dodgers or the Lakers (or the Clippers, for that matter). I think they carry the Angels once in awhile, but only in SD if I recall correctly.
I hope Saturdays Dodgers/Angels game isn't blacked out on PrimeTicket because it's on 13.

#40 ·
juniormaj said:
I hope Saturdays Dodgers/Angels game isn't blacked out on PrimeTicket because it's on 13.
Shouldn't be -- it's the Dodgers' local broadcast on Prime Ticket, and the Angels' local broadcast on 13, and neither team has the authority to black out the other's local broadcast. (Of course, there's always the slim possibility of some bizarre DirecTV technical issue...)

#41 ·
trainman said:
Shouldn't be -- it's the Dodgers' local broadcast on Prime Ticket, and the Angels' local broadcast on 13, and neither team has the authority to black out the other's local broadcast. (Of course, there's always the slim possibility of some bizarre DirecTV technical issue...)
Yeah, I should have added that bit. I was mostly worried that DirecTV might flub it since I've been reading some reports of "Game Search" acting a bit wonky.

#42 ·
juniormaj said:
I did something a bit different - I recorded both HD and SD versions of channel 11. I had the same issues - four or five "blackouts" - on my HD version in the first hour, but the SD recording was just fine. (At least I was able to use that to go back and see what I missed.)

#44 ·
djrobx said:
Since changing over my series links to 399 instead of 11, things have been MUCH better. Tonight's So You Think You Can Dance had a really bad period. Tap dancing acapella with regular brrriping was quite amusing!
When KTTV moves back to channel 11 on June 12th, there should no longer be a problem.

#46 ·
steevew6 said:
Go to Channels I get and look for KCET 28...that will be your HD PBS channel 28
However, KOCE in my guide was showing [HD]

So I went to Setup > Parental> Favorites> Edit> [Fav Chan]
then scrolled to 50 which is KOCE above it now added to the listing is 50
This first 50 is the HD channel
I select this 50 and unselect the previously selected 2nd 50

#47 ·
For me, when one HD local channel from channel 2 - 13 starts to break up, they all do. Some people here are talking about specific channels like Fox 11, but for me it's either they all break up at the same time or they're all fine. Usually starts to happen after 8pm. I believe the signal for LA locals come from satellite 103s transponders 19 & 21, right? Those signals for me are always high 90s if not 100%. I've been seeing this problem since I joined directv over a year ago, and I've been watching my locals on channels in the 390s instead since then. The channels in the 390s always work fine and it's a good alternative, but channel 5, 9 and 13 don't have alternatives. Luckily I don't watch much of anything on 5, 9 and 13. But everytime someone in the house tunes to 2 - 13 for the news or something and there's breakup, I'm reminded that I'm paying directv a bunch of money while having to settle for a workaround. So what's up with channel 2 - 13? Isn't this a known issue? Aren't they working on it?

#49 ·
I have no information on that, and my LA locals were fine last night. I would look at your signal strengths. With the way the wind's been the last couple of weeks it might have knocked your dish out of alignment.

#50 ·
Stuart:
Have you heard of any reason why we have lost the HD LA Locals, Channels 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, & 13, in the Twentynine Palms (92277)
area? All was fine until last night (Thursday), or at least that's when
I first noticed it. The SD version of those channels are available but not HD. I receive the west coast HD feeds on 391,393,397 & 399 without problems. Any thoughts?
Thanks.

#51 ·
You should have those channels. You might try calling customer service or going through the troubleshooting steps at DIRECTV.com to refresh your services.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.