DBSTalk Forum banner

Free Showtime 1/7 - 1/10

7K views 51 replies 39 participants last post by  tonyd79 
#1 ·
Free preview of Showtime Jan 7, 2011 - Jan 10, 2011.

#27 ·
The various DIRECTV Showtime Channels may be viewed at this DIRECTV Website. It also previews a number of the movies on the various SHOWTIME Channels during the free preview and includes direct links to "record to your DVR's".

www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/premiums/showtime

#30 ·
The premium-channel previews never enable DVR-based on demand services. Being able to record a ton of content and watch it after the preview ends is really counter to the whole purpose of the "free preview", so that's perfectly reasonable (to me).

Charter is currently advertising this free preview locally and including "on demand" in the ads. That must be a non-DVR streaming-only service, so you'd still be limited to watching content only during this weekend.

- LoopinFool

#31 ·
LoopinFool said:
The premium-channel previews never enable DVR-based on demand services. Being able to record a ton of content and watch it after the preview ends is really counter to the whole purpose of the "free preview", so that's perfectly reasonable (to me).

Charter is currently advertising this free preview locally and including "on demand" in the ads. That must be a non-DVR streaming-only service, so you'd still be limited to watching content only during this weekend.

- LoopinFool
I can see why they would block On Demand during a preview, but that certainly doesn't stop you from "recording a ton of content". On my 2 DVR's, I can still record 4 movies at time until I fill my DVR's up. Any way, guess I have to pay the $12.95 for one month to download and watch the full season of all my favorite original series shows. Actually, probably going to do the 3 mo's and receive a $25 debit card.

#32 ·
trh said:
Every time the movie channels have a Free Preview it just demonstrates to our family that they don't have much on and there is no reason to pay for these channels.
I absolutely agree with you. The premium channels are ALL worthless. They only keep showing the same crap over and over and frankly I don't believe series belong on premium channels to begin with. Premium channels originally started off as MOVIE channels not like what they are today. Today they are worthless junk. You're better of going and either buying or renting the dvd's today when it comes to movies and save your money from those worthless channels.

#36 ·
This is a free preview weekend, I would assume intended to show non-subscribers the benefits of their channels.

I tell you what I see... 3 or 4 movies that are pretty good that I would watch and the thing that SHOWED ME THEY ARE A COMPLETE JOKE....ShowTimeHD has the SAME MOVIE ON SATURDAY, SUNDAY and MONDAY night!!!- Twilight- Half Moon Rising or whatever its called is on the MAIN channel at 7:30 or 8pm all three nights.
How does this show me the benefit of their channel? The SAME MOVIE all three nights.
I'm not talking Showtime East one night, Showtime3 the next. Its on ShowTimeHD ALL THREE NIGHTS.

What a Joke!!!:hurah:

#37 ·
some of the movies they show, i just shake my head and never heard of these movies. Everynow and then they will show a new film, i think halloween and few others i like were on there.

Anyway's i dont like premium channels in general. Once a movies starts playing it will play for like 2 months every day in a row.

personally I like netflix alot better. Watch a ton of movies and whatever you dont see instant you can have it sent to your house and in blue ray.

12 bucks im in with that.

#38 ·
theesir said:
This is a free preview weekend, I would assume intended to show non-subscribers the benefits of their channels.

I tell you what I see... 3 or 4 movies that are pretty good that I would watch and the thing that SHOWED ME THEY ARE A COMPLETE JOKE....ShowTimeHD has the SAME MOVIE ON SATURDAY, SUNDAY and MONDAY night!!!- Twilight- Half Moon Rising or whatever its called is on the MAIN channel at 7:30 or 8pm all three nights.
How does this show me the benefit of their channel? The SAME MOVIE all three nights.
I'm not talking Showtime East one night, Showtime3 the next. Its on ShowTimeHD ALL THREE NIGHTS.

What a Joke!!!:hurah:
They might do that for potential customers that don't own a DVR. Gives them more chances to watch it.

#39 ·
Is anybody still getting the Showtime and The Movie channel today. i thought the Free Preview ended Yesterday but i channel surfing this morning and the showtime and movie channels was still on.

#41 ·
It would appear to me that the free preview weekend was solely to pimp the premier of two new and one returning original series. Episodes, Shameless and Californication. Get you interested in serial programming so you buy the package.

Too bad I couldn't even get clear through one episode of any of the three and I did try. Not nearly the same caliber as Weeds, Dexter or even The Big C.

#42 ·
Ironically I watched the movie "PUSH" on the free preview.
The movie is set in Hong Kong and has subtitles in various points through the movie.
Quite often when the subtitles were present a banner at the bottom would come up asking me to subscribe to Showtime, thus obscuring the subtitles. Lose.

#43 ·
I thought Shameless was quite good. Episodes I yawned through.
Its 134pmPST and I am still receiving these channels/ *puzzled*

#46 ·
I'm like every other movie vampire, I immediately recorded the 5 or so watchable flicks on SHOW I didn't already have off HBO and other movie channels, then blew it off. 99% of their content was crap. Even that Tudor series is garbage. Terrible scripts, grade-B actors, cheap sets. I'll stick to awesome BBC productions or premium feature films when I want to experience Tudor madness, thank you very much. I needed to take a shower after watching one ep of The Tudors. The dialog was written in this fake watered-down phony English for dumb Americans. Egads.

By contrast you have HBO with its world-class series. No contest. Thanks for the V, SHOW! Better put a band-aid on that bite.

#47 ·
This is weird, I recorded four movies during the free showings. I was unable to playback two of them, when trying to playback there were just a couple of options listed (with the rest of the screen blank) but not a play or delete option. I could only delete using the red button on the remote. The other two movies were playable. I've never seen this issue before.

#48 ·
BubblePuppy said:
This is weird, I recorded four movies during the free showings. I was unable to playback two of them, when trying to playback there were just a couple of options listed (with the rest of the screen blank) but not a play or delete option. I could only delete using the red button on the remote. The other two movies were playable. I've never seen this issue before.
Were you able to play them by pressing the play button on the remote from the list screen?

#51 ·
DogLover said:
I have seen this before, but I don't think I've ever seen it in a national release, or where it only affected just a few programs. You might also try to to select the program from the history screen. It might have all the options from there.
Now I wish I hadn't deleted the two shows so I could try your suggestion out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.