DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DIRECTV HD Receiver with TiVo (Official Q1 2011 Thread)

132K views 1K replies 121 participants last post by  hdtvfan0001 
#1 ·
Folks, there's precious little to say about the upcoming DIRECTV TiVo-based device that hasn't already been said, but here's the thread for you to say it.

Synopsis of common arguments: (in other words, this ground's already been trodden, do we have to go there again?)
  • Many people like the TiVo interface, especially the list guide.
  • Many people are equally fond of the DIRECTV interface.
  • Many people think that TiVos are easier for them to use.
  • Many people think that DIRECTV DVRs are easier for them to use.
  • Standalone TiVo devices have many features that are appealing to people.
  • No guarantee has been made that any feature from a standalone TiVo will make it to the DIRECTV TiVo.
  • The new device will run on DIRECTV hardware, although we don't know how that will work (we have some ideas).
  • TiVo, Inc. will develop the software for the device and seems to be solely responsible for the user experience.
Ground Rules:
  • This is not a free-for-all. Rudeness will not be tolerated.
  • Remember that all forum rules are still in effect.
  • Do not "bump" this thread.
  • Other threads relating to the DirecTV TiVo-HD Receiver will be closed.
  • If you harp on a particular point to the exclusion of others, your posts may be deleted.

Further, we've learned that the new TiVo for DIRECTV will not have the upgraded user experience seen in the TiVo Premiere.

See less See more
#353 ·
ATARI said:
So, my assumption (you know what that can lead to), based on the posts here is that TiVo will be releasing an HD DirecTiVo sometime in Q2, but it is so technologically outdated and/or feature poor, that it didn't warrant a show-off at CES?
That would be my speculation, my 8-bit friend.

#356 ·
Stuart Sweet said:
And you know, I hate to say this, but if the TiVo people really had something to show, they would have shown it, not hidden it. You hide products that are years out or products that you think your competition could quickly duplicate. You don't hide something that was announced almost three years ago... unless you don't really have it working.
:D

I've been saying this same exact thing for 3yrs now.

No leaks, no info, no specs, no nothing = not even close to release.

But seriously, what is the deal with a 3yr delay? Did someone go:

CD \Tivo\Documents\DirecTivo\HR10-250
DEL *.*

about 5yrs ago?

The HR10-250 is like 95% of the way there. Hack in MPEG4, upgrade a few components and badda bing badda boom. Ship it.

The new DTivo certainly won't be bleeding edge or innovative beyond the Tivo Premiere.

There is really nothing to hide except the fact that they don't have a working prototype :D.

#357 ·
Just to clarify, the announcement was 9/08. That's not even 3 years yet. It was due 12/09 based on reading the announcement. April is 16 months removed, not even two years. To say that it's 3 years delayed is simply inaccurate.

#358 ·
Stuart Sweet said:
I can't help but thinking that their shyness has to do with the fact that "TiVo" as a term, and as a company name, is beginning to sound very dated. I was reading a book last night and I didn't realize it was written about 12 years ago. But as soon as the author said he searched Alta Vista, I knew.

TiVo is rapidly moving into that group that includes AOL, Earthlink, Novell, and other darlings of the early '00s, companies that soldier on despite having lost their luster in the marketplace.
I dunno if I agree with that completely.

AOL died because they were (and are) a dial up based online thing for the most part. Everybody went broadband and AOL didn't innovate. By the time AOL moved online, it was too late.

Novell (and every other proprietary network provider) died after the world standardized on TCP/IP.

Tivo still has *some* cache, but yeah, when every cable company has their own DVR, why pay extra for a brand name that doesn't offer anything beyond what the generic model does?

#361 ·
ATARI said:
Always on my mind, as is Occam's Razor.

Does TiVo have a super-duper new DVR for DirecTV that nobody has seen or admits to seeing?

Or do they have nothing worth showing?
Tivo and DirecTV have already come out and said "its going to be ancient software running on new(er) hardware -- pretty much the HR10-250 + MPEG4 (- OTA)". Nothing more, nothing less.

#363 ·
If it were just the old software on current DirecTV hardware it would have been out over a year ago.
I've read dozens of different reasons for people who are still waiting to get it.
I've gotten used to the DirecTV box but would still gladly pay $5 a month extra for the Tivo.
For me the most important difference is the ability to conveniently search for movies alphabetically(I print out an alphabetical list of movies I want to see each year). I could do it in 20 minutes with Tivo & it takes 3 hours with DirecTV.

#364 ·
Doug Brott said:
Just to clarify, the announcement was 9/08. That's not even 3 years yet. It was due 12/09 based on reading the announcement. April is 16 months removed, not even two years. To say that it's 3 years delayed is simply inaccurate.
Yes, you are correct, I was stretching when I said three years. It just seems like three years. But heck, it seems like three years since breakfast.

(That's right, I said HECK!)

#365 ·
CUDAHY said:
If it were just the old software on current DirecTV hardware it would have been out over a year ago.
TiVo thought so too when they made the initial announcement .. they were wrong. There are a few additions like Swivel Search and Kid Zone (those were announced).

Plus, they needed to adjust something to be able to see the signals from the two new satellite positions.

#366 ·
Maybe Tivo should of made a Premiere like DVR that had HDMI passthrough, and used HDMI-CEC control to control a set top box. Or the GoogleTV like IR blasters all over the unit. Then it would work with anything (IPTV,FIOS,Cable,Dish,Direct)

But I guess that would defeat the whole purpose of watch one show while recording another.

#367 ·
cypherx said:
Maybe Tivo should of made a Premiere like DVR that had HDMI passthrough, and used HDMI-CEC control to control a set top box. Or the GoogleTV like IR blasters all over the unit. Then it would work with anything (IPTV,FIOS,Cable,Dish,Direct)

But I guess that would defeat the whole purpose of watch one show while recording another.
HDMI passthrough is not an option because it is exactly what it sounds like, passthrough. The HDMI signal can't be recorded. It's uncompressed anyway, and the entire point of an integrated box is that it records the bitstream straight off the satellite and doesn't require an expensive set of encoder chips.

The way I would do it, architecturally, would have been to design the new Tivo premier to be able to modularly accept any number of tuners. Then, they could have just created a new Premier box with DirecTV tuners inside instead of cablecard. Also, all the development work would have simply been on making a set of DirecTV tuners that could plug into the Tivo software, instead of building the whole box from scratch. But, obviously, I'm not Tivo.

#369 ·
CUDAHY said:
That came straight from one of the super high ranking DTV or Tivo officials. Don't remember which, I think it was a DTV VP or something or other.

Its possible they decided they needed to sack up and deliver a more manly box and scrapped that idea... but who the heck knows? They haven't uttered a word about it in years.

#371 ·
SledgeHammer said:
Tivo and DirecTV have already come out and said "its going to be ancient software running on new(er) hardware -- pretty much the HR10-250 + MPEG4 (- OTA)". Nothing more, nothing less.
Yep, they have, and several sleuths have pointed out that the "newer" hardware is prolly just a version of the already-old HR22, called "THR22." Not very fast compared to an HR24-100.

#373 ·
#374 ·
newsposter said:
well it's official, the tivo will be better!!!!

http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/01/13/directv.tivo.hardware.to.arrive.this.spring/

Also allegedly not present will be multi-room support, and the device will be based on a reference Thompson design. What will be the headline feature, however, is the TiVo user interface that is said to be much better than that of DirecTV's DVR models
:lol: .. sounds like I've heard a lot of what those guys are saying .. :lol:

Oh, and just found out .. Taking the over on April 30 might not be a bad idea after all .. :blackeye:

#375 ·
Doug Brott said:
:lol: .. sounds like I've heard a lot of what those guys are saying .. :lol:

Oh, and just found out .. Taking the over on April 30 might not be a bad idea after all .. :blackeye:
Oh well. Theres always April 30th, 2012... and 2013... and 2014... and 2015.

I did put down a vNickel on "no new HD Tivo by April 30th" :D, but now I'm going to put down a whole vDollar on "no new HD DTivo in 2011" as well.

#376 ·
Without seemlessly interfacing with other H(R)2x and MRV, this box is as good as DOA.

For the couple of dozen people that must have that interface, good for them. For the other 18+ million customers, it might as well not even see the light of day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.