DBSTalk Forum banner

DirecTV's lousy use of guide data

4K views 33 replies 21 participants last post by  Syzygy 
#1 ·
When will DIRECTV use the FULL Tribune Media Info for every show ? Also why is DirecTV too lazy to implement Tivos (I kno its not perfect, but is better than the lame excuse of not using any fix) 1st run vs repeat episdie fix?

#28 ·
sigma1914 said:
To those with RSNs showing as 'Channels I Get,' do you subscribe to NHL-CI, NBA-LP, etc? My theory is that since RSNs are opened up for us who get those sports subs, that it "confuses" the software to think we get the RSN.
I have had NHLCI since the beginning (1995), so that could be part of the issue, but then it doesn't show all of the RSN's so how does it decide which ones I don't get that it still wants to show me in the guide?

#29 ·
CCarncross said:
For D* dvr's to function correctly, it needs the guide data, if you could scan manually, you wouldnt have the guide data to actually schedule recordings...that is one of the big reasons that the dvr's cant scan...

The H20, since it can't schedule recordings, made more sense....

Without Tribune carrying the guide data, and D* adding it to the zips it covers in their OTA database, setting up recordings in the normal way for these stations OTA just doesnt work....I don't believe there is 14 days of guide data in PSIP streams....more like a few ours, IIRC.
How about a MANUAL recording? Whatever did people do before DVR's?

#32 ·
The service is only as good as the guide data. If the guide data is complete, the first run vs repeat will work. If it's not, the process won't. That is true for the Tivos as well as the R-## models. I don't know how many times my DTivos have recorded obvious repeats as the guide data was a generic listing rather than specific to that particular show.

#33 ·
CCarncross said:
For D* dvr's to function correctly, it needs the guide data, if you could scan manually, you wouldnt have the guide data to actually schedule recordings...that is one of the big reasons that the dvr's cant scan...
Who said that guide is required to schedule a recording?
The H20, since it can't schedule recordings, made more sense....
The H20 can most certainly be Autotuned using the guide or manually. It isn't smart enough to control a recorder like Brand E*'s receivers, but it will work with one.

I doubt that there is a logical explanation that doesn't involve time or money (not that these aren't important issues).

#34 ·
vesto94 said:
So Directv is using the inferior of the 2 Guides Tribune owns? Figures. And also I looked at their data on cable that is also supplied by zap2it and cable has more guide data. The fact is Directv does not even use the full guide data they can.

Also, when are their overpaid lazy programmers gonna fix the 1st run issue a little, by using the Tivo or similar fix?
How d'ya know they're overpaid? Looking at what they've produced lately, many of those "lazy programmers" may well reside in Borneo or North Korea, and are receiving pay that is princely for their locale, but still only 3% of what a U.S. programmer might make. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.