DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DIRECTV HD Receiver with TiVo (Official Q1 2011 Thread)

132K views 1K replies 121 participants last post by  hdtvfan0001 
#1 ·
Folks, there's precious little to say about the upcoming DIRECTV TiVo-based device that hasn't already been said, but here's the thread for you to say it.

Synopsis of common arguments: (in other words, this ground's already been trodden, do we have to go there again?)
  • Many people like the TiVo interface, especially the list guide.
  • Many people are equally fond of the DIRECTV interface.
  • Many people think that TiVos are easier for them to use.
  • Many people think that DIRECTV DVRs are easier for them to use.
  • Standalone TiVo devices have many features that are appealing to people.
  • No guarantee has been made that any feature from a standalone TiVo will make it to the DIRECTV TiVo.
  • The new device will run on DIRECTV hardware, although we don't know how that will work (we have some ideas).
  • TiVo, Inc. will develop the software for the device and seems to be solely responsible for the user experience.
Ground Rules:
  • This is not a free-for-all. Rudeness will not be tolerated.
  • Remember that all forum rules are still in effect.
  • Do not "bump" this thread.
  • Other threads relating to the DirecTV TiVo-HD Receiver will be closed.
  • If you harp on a particular point to the exclusion of others, your posts may be deleted.

Further, we've learned that the new TiVo for DIRECTV will not have the upgraded user experience seen in the TiVo Premiere.

See less See more
#554 ·
ffemtreed said:
The only problem with that statement is that 99% of consumers aren't out there checking everyday what DTV is doing and not doing. 95% of customers don't know what mpg2 and mpg4 or any of that mean. You argument is only valid if DTV had warnings during the time of purchase telling consumers that this product won't be supported in a year or two.

you can't assume consumers read this board and know most of the in's and out's of DTV operation and you certainly can't berate them for not knowing.
What you say is true. However a couple things about that:

1) Most people that got the HR10-250 were cutting edge early adopters and thus as a whole more educated in tech and bleeding edge then Joe Sixpack. I mean, who spends $1000 to get 5 HD channels? That's what Joe Sixpack would say. I paid $800 to get 1 and a half HD channels a few years before that though. ;)

2) I know if I'm about to spend $1000 I do a *ton* of research. $1000 is a lot of money to me and I make sure I do a complete vetting of the product before I plop down that kind of money. So in mid 2004 I knew with very little research that the HR10-250 was a short lived product since DirecTV had announced months earlier at CES (and many press releases) their plans to put HD on the Spaceway sats at 99 and 103 *and* in MPEG4. And since the HR10-250 could neither decode MPEG4 nor even see sat slots 99 and 103 it was a no brainier for me to not spend $1000 on it. I waited until their MPEG4 HD DVR came out which was the HR20 and I had one for a cool $400 in the first week. Now I'm sorry if you and/or others didn't do the research to know this. Or you did and felt $1000 was worth it for getting an HD DVR now vs. waiting for the new technology. Your choice either way.

Anyway, it's all water under the bridge over half a decade ago. We are where we are today. Heck, I don't even have DirecTV anymore so what do I care either way. :lol:

#555 ·
ffemtreed said:
So you think it was unreasonable to call back and ask after the time they told me to wait passes???? its not like I called every week or month.
Got it. I took it that you were one of those that called literally every week asking for the same thing. If it were at some point the CSR is just going to say "yes sir, it's coming soon" just to get you off the phone. And I was making a joke. :) Sounds like you just called a couple times, no problem. However, I would still *never* ever trust *anything* a CSR says about future products and releases. They just don't know. You might as well ask farmer Joe down the street, he knows just as much. Online forums like this are the only true source of info like this.

#556 ·
bonscott87 said:
What you say is true. However a couple things about that:

1) Most people that got the HR10-250 were cutting edge early adopters and thus as a whole more educated in tech and bleeding edge then Joe Sixpack. I mean, who spends $1000 to get 5 HD channels? That's what Joe Sixpack would say. I paid $800 to get 1 and a half HD channels a few years before that though. ;)

2) I know if I'm about to spend $1000 I do a *ton* of research. $1000 is a lot of money to me and I make sure I do a complete vetting of the product before I plop down that kind of money. So in mid 2004 I knew with very little research that the HR10-250 was a short lived product since DirecTV had announced months earlier at CES (and many press releases) their plans to put HD on the Spaceway sats at 99 and 103 *and* in MPEG4. And since the HR10-250 could neither decode MPEG4 nor even see sat slots 99 and 103 it was a no brainier for me to not spend $1000 on it. I waited until their MPEG4 HD DVR came out which was the HR20 and I had one for a cool $400 in the first week. Now I'm sorry if you and/or others didn't do the research to know this. Or you did and felt $1000 was worth it for getting an HD DVR now vs. waiting for the new technology. Your choice either way.

Anyway, it's all water under the bridge over half a decade ago. We are where we are today. Heck, I don't even have DirecTV anymore so what do I care either way. :lol:
I got my HR10-250 as an impluse buy at circuit city when I bought my first HD TV. I think I paid 500 or 600 dollars for it. I had DTV and said I might as well put the HD box on my credit card with 0% for 24 months.

#557 ·
ffemtreed said:
I got my HR10-250 as an impluse buy at circuit city when I bought my first HD TV. I think I paid 500 or 600 dollars for it. I had DTV and said I might as well put the HD box on my credit card with 0% for 24 months.
So here we are in 2011....both Circuit City and the HR10-250 are obsolete and part of ancient history. :D

#558 ·
Very true. Although Circuit City still exists as a web site operated by the same people who bought the CompUSA and TigerDirect names, and the HR10 will live on in a new incarnation as the (I'm guessing on the name) THR22.

#560 ·
richierich said:
Well, I like WHDVR Service and I don't think it fits into the Category of a Gadget and it is Very Practical and Functional and Useful so I can Finish Watching A Show or Game as I did last night when I Paused the FSU Football Game and finished watching it upstairs in my Bedroom.

If the New DIRECTIVO can't integrate with the WHDVR Service then I won't even give it a glance and I was a TIVOTEE or TIVOHOLIC but at this point in time Directv's DVRs have caused me to Forget about the TiVo Thingy.
Multi-Room Viewing was the top requested for the DirecTV for years. We switched to U-Verse 3 months ago primarily for the single DVR but the guide is so inaccurate, we have to check the newspaper everyday to be sure we are going to get what we want. If the new DirecTV Tivo box doesn't include some sort of Multi-Room Viewing capability, there's really no point in ever releasing it.

#561 ·
Athenian said:
... If the new DirecTV Tivo box doesn't include some sort of Multi-Room Viewing capability, there's really no point in ever releasing it.
+1. I've already posted that I won't want the new TiVo unless it has MRV or at least box-to-box copying. I also need it to be faster than an HR22 is.

However, there is some point to releasing it, even if it doesn't have MRV, and even if it's slow: There's that "low-lying fruit" that TiVo's CEO has referred to, which consists of DirecTV customers with no HD service who are still using old SD DirecTiVos. They know nothing of MRV, and the THR22 might be fast enough for them.

I'll be waiting until TiVo makes a product that can compete on an equal footing with the HR24.

#565 ·
smiddy said:
I like DirecTV...I wonder if the DirecTiVo will be worth switching sides? :D
I don't think you'd be switching sides... If you switch from HR2x's to TiVo-HR22's, in all likelihood you'll still be giving DirecTV more than 95% of your monthly TV budget.

#568 ·
ATARI said:
Looks like Duke Nukem' Forever will beat the new DirecTiVo to market.

And that's saying somethin'.
Holy Cow. I never thought we'd see it released..."Come Get Some!". :lol:

Well if Duke Nukem' Forever can make it to market than so can the new DirecTiVo. :D

Mike

#570 ·
Tivo just signed a deal with Charter. It also sounds like it will be better than DirecTivo. Details here:
http://investor.tivo.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=106292&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1518977&highlight=

The following features are planned for the initial product:

-TiVo's high-definition user interface including integrated search: Instantly scans across all channels and sources, including TV, VOD, and available online content, to help find what customers want to watch

-Web applications: Allows customers to access local news, sports and weather, as well as Facebook and Twitter(TM) updates, right from the TV

-OnDemand: Offers access to thousands of hours of video from Charter's OnDemand library, including 900+ high-definition titles

-Online: Internet video from top destinations

-iPad app: Serves as command central, with an ability to browse the program guide and recorded shows, schedule recordings, post on Facebook or Twitter, schedule, search and browse for shows from anywhere, and much more

-Control live TV: Allows pause, rewind, slow-motion, and instant replay functions during live TV

-Multiroom DVR: View a common list of recordings and playback recorded content throughout the home, pause a recorded program in one room and resume playback in another, use trick-play functions on recorded content and delete recordings from any room*

-Remote Management: Search and schedule recordings from the Web or from a mobile phone

-TiVoToGo(TM) transfers: Transfer photos and movies from a personal computer to the TiVo Premiere, for viewing on the TV set; or from the TiVo Premiere to a laptop, media device, or smart phone, for viewing outside the home*

-Automatic recordings: Records favorite shows each week with Season Pass(R) recordings on the TiVo Premiere. In addition, WishList(R) searches will find and record suggested programs based on customer interests

-Content storage: Records up to 45 hours of high-definition (HD) programming or up to 400 hours of standard-definition programming -- equivalent to more than 16 days of content

-Full HD support: Offers full support for 1080p and 1080i HD formats

#571 ·
That's right, I don't expect most of those features for the DIRECTV box. Of course, Charter's box may not be out until the fall of '16 :lol:

#572 ·
cypherx said:
Tivo just signed a deal with Charter. It also sounds like it will be better than DirecTivo. Details here:
http://investor.tivo.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=106292&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1518977&highlight=
From the article:
The initial phase, which is expected to launch in Charter markets later this year, will utilize TiVo's latest generation high definition user interface and TiVo(R) Premiere set top box, as well as upcoming multi-room and non-DVR platforms.
Looks like they are using an existing platform (released last year) and a new platform. I wonder what "initial phase" means (2 people have access to it? :scratchin) .. I also wonder if TiVo will finally make one of their own pre-set deadlines. It certainly seems that they are finally setting themselves up for success with this announcement, but only time will tell. A betting person would still probably bet against them getting this done by 12/31/11.

#573 ·
Well they already have successful Premiere with IP VOD stack deployed with RCN and Suddenlink. I think the Charter announcement will be the same thing, except they will take it one step further and integrate MRV in the product.

Now if only they took a real Premiere and just replaced the QAM tuner with a DirecTV compatible DECA/SWM tuner appropriate drivers and Access card slot (in place of the cable card slot). Why reinvent the whole box when it's just the tuning interface?

#574 ·
cypherx said:
Well they already have successful Premiere with IP VOD stack deployed with RCN and Suddenlink. I think the Charter announcement will be the same thing, except they will take it one step further and integrate MRV in the product.

Now if only they took a real Premiere and just replaced the QAM tuner with a DirecTV compatible DECA/SWM tuner appropriate drivers and Access card slot (in place of the cable card slot). Why reinvent the whole box when it's just the tuning interface?
MPEG-4? Signal decryption? other?

#575 ·
Cypherx, I think we'd all like to know what they've been doing for the last two years or so since the announcement. It doesn't make sense, unless they are underfunded and understaffed.

#576 ·
Has anyone considered that just as past statements about the release date have been false, then perhaps past statements about features (i.e. old UI) may turn out to be false?

It seems that the "regulars" on this forum love to repeat over and over the same tired, negative statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.