DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DIRECTV HD Receiver with TiVo (Official Q1 2011 Thread)

132K views 1K replies 121 participants last post by  hdtvfan0001 
#1 ·
Folks, there's precious little to say about the upcoming DIRECTV TiVo-based device that hasn't already been said, but here's the thread for you to say it.

Synopsis of common arguments: (in other words, this ground's already been trodden, do we have to go there again?)
  • Many people like the TiVo interface, especially the list guide.
  • Many people are equally fond of the DIRECTV interface.
  • Many people think that TiVos are easier for them to use.
  • Many people think that DIRECTV DVRs are easier for them to use.
  • Standalone TiVo devices have many features that are appealing to people.
  • No guarantee has been made that any feature from a standalone TiVo will make it to the DIRECTV TiVo.
  • The new device will run on DIRECTV hardware, although we don't know how that will work (we have some ideas).
  • TiVo, Inc. will develop the software for the device and seems to be solely responsible for the user experience.
Ground Rules:
  • This is not a free-for-all. Rudeness will not be tolerated.
  • Remember that all forum rules are still in effect.
  • Do not "bump" this thread.
  • Other threads relating to the DirecTV TiVo-HD Receiver will be closed.
  • If you harp on a particular point to the exclusion of others, your posts may be deleted.

Further, we've learned that the new TiVo for DIRECTV will not have the upgraded user experience seen in the TiVo Premiere.

See less See more
#602 ·
cypherx said:
Well I just think they should of modularized the Premiere platform, just knowing that maybe they would want to interface it with DBS, IPTV, or Cable providers. If they had a standardized bus interface and API written, they could just interchange tuners/security modules as deemed nessesary, and use the appropriate drivers / MSO builds to get it working.

Think of a PC. You have a PCI-e slot. You could drop in an analog TV tuner. A Ceton Cable Card QAM tuner, or a DVB-S2 DBS tuner/analyzer. A PC is a versatile platform. You just need the software/drivers to run the hardware. They knew the premiere was coming out. They should of thought ahead when they developed it. They could of said "These 62 pins interface with the security module and tuning assembly. Here is the API for this interface and a baseline firmware version for interfacing with a QAM/CableCard module". Then build it up from there.
Still would rely on something you could drop into that bus structure. Remember, we are talking DirecTV encryption and design. If they don't have a module that Tivo could use, then no matter how modular Tivo made their product, they would still have to get DirecTV to play along, which they may not be interested in doing because it would force redesign on their part.

PCs and DVRs are different critters. A PC is a mult-use device that can be made into a media center. A DVR is a targetted appliance that is tuned for cost/performance. Though some of the same principles can be applied.

#603 ·
Mike Bertelson said:
That's the first think I shut off on my HDVR2s. It would fill up the hard drive in a day or so. It was a real pain in the neck.

Mike
Funny, the thing that drove me crazy about it was that there would always be a recording light on and I would wonder what was recording because I wasn't expecting anything to be. I hated auto-recording suggestions. I kept trying to use them and kept turning them off because they cluttered up my playlist with crap and that damned light.

#604 ·
JBernardK said:
Has anyone considered that just as past statements about the release date have been false, then perhaps past statements about features (i.e. old UI) may turn out to be false?

It seems that the "regulars" on this forum love to repeat over and over the same tired, negative statements.
Well, the Tivo CEO himself stated just a few months ago in an interview (which is on the web by the way) that the new DirecTivo would be using the older "classic" Tivo UI. So I guess he could be making "false" statements that the "regulars" are just repeating. But hey, maybe the CEO doesn't know what he's talking about. Wouldn't be the first time. LOL

As for being "negative", sounds like many that are waiting for the DirecTivo are just fine with it being the classic UI, thus that would qualify as a "positive" in my book.

#605 ·
bonscott87 said:
Well, the Tivo CEO himself stated just a few months ago in an interview (which is on the web by the way) that the new DirecTivo would be using the older "classic" Tivo UI. So I guess he could be making "false" statements that the "regulars" are just repeating. But hey, maybe the CEO doesn't know what he's talking about. Wouldn't be the first time. LOL

As for being "negative", sounds like many that are waiting for the DirecTivo are just fine with it being the classic UI, thus that would qualify as a "positive" in my book.
Excellent Post. :D

#613 ·
I love how a grid guide, which has been used in newspapers and magazines since TV was invented is somehow patentable.

#616 ·
gregjones said:
There is a clear delineation. If you feel you have a product that is groundbreaking or game-changing, you show it early and often (HR34, Dish 922). When you fix bugs or run late, you keep it low-key. This Tivo is not breaking new ground, in essence.

• It is very similar in functionality to the HR10-250 (old tech)
• but adds MPEG4 (old tech)
• on some form of HR2x hardware (old tech).

They shine the spotlight on this product and the story won't be "Tivo changes everything." It would be "Tivo takes years longer to accomplish nothing new."
Very well put, Greg!

It would make anyone wonder (as I did for a moment) why anyone would care about the possibility of this underwhelming, warmed-over technology getting released.

But it took me just a moment to remember why people care: The HR2x software/UI is a certifiable piece of crap! In all respects save MRV and a few nice little details (like one-touch recording and bookmarks) that TiVo will probably, and unfortunately, avoid replicating.

#617 ·
I think alot of us forget that we are Technogeeks and alot different than the vast majority of Directv Customers who just want to watch and record TV without getting too technical about how they do it.

Their Directv DVR and Remote work just fine (in most cases :D) so they can watch and record what they want and some even think they Have a TiVo but in the end can they do what they want and that is to watch TV.

#618 ·
Syzygy said:
The HR2x software/UI is a certifiable piece of crap!
:rolleyes: That assertion loses all it's supposed impact when one sees not one, but two HR24s just below it in your sig.

#620 ·
Doug Brott said:
He's warming up to them .. :grin:
Right. The HR24 UI is still irritating in a hundred little ways, and I never lose sight of the fact that TiVo always did those things much better. But I won't give up my MRV, one-touch recording, bookmarks, (R) icons on scheduled-to-record programs in lists and in the Guide, triple-tap text entry -- just to get a THR22 with an old-fashioned but undoubtedly user-friendly UI.

#622 ·
richierich said:
I really can't wait until this Directivo Emerges from the Shadows so once and for all the debate can end about this device and whether it will be Great or a POS!!! :lol:
The Shadow has the DirecTiVo? :eek2:

:lol:

Mike

#625 ·
richierich said:
SSSHHHH!!! As only The Shadow Truly Knows!!! :lol:
Hey, remember that guy we used to have around here...what was his name? Oh, Yeah. Lamont Cranston. I wonder if Lamont Knows anything. :lol:

Mike

#626 ·
bidger said:
:rolleyes: That assertion loses all it's supposed impact when one sees not one, but two HR24s just below it in your sig.
Bidger, you've gotta be at least a little bit unhappy with your slow HR20-700 and your slooower HR21-100. I had an HR21-100 too, and I called Retention repeatedly until I got my '21 replaced with a '24. Then I replaced my suddenly-dying HR10 with another '24 and got MRV just two months ago.

You could upgrade too. (I turned away an installer who had only '24-500s, because I believed they were turkeys compared to the other '24s.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.