DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DIRECTV HD Receiver with TiVo (Official Q1 2011 Thread)

132K views 1K replies 121 participants last post by  hdtvfan0001 
#1 ·
Folks, there's precious little to say about the upcoming DIRECTV TiVo-based device that hasn't already been said, but here's the thread for you to say it.

Synopsis of common arguments: (in other words, this ground's already been trodden, do we have to go there again?)
  • Many people like the TiVo interface, especially the list guide.
  • Many people are equally fond of the DIRECTV interface.
  • Many people think that TiVos are easier for them to use.
  • Many people think that DIRECTV DVRs are easier for them to use.
  • Standalone TiVo devices have many features that are appealing to people.
  • No guarantee has been made that any feature from a standalone TiVo will make it to the DIRECTV TiVo.
  • The new device will run on DIRECTV hardware, although we don't know how that will work (we have some ideas).
  • TiVo, Inc. will develop the software for the device and seems to be solely responsible for the user experience.
Ground Rules:
  • This is not a free-for-all. Rudeness will not be tolerated.
  • Remember that all forum rules are still in effect.
  • Do not "bump" this thread.
  • Other threads relating to the DirecTV TiVo-HD Receiver will be closed.
  • If you harp on a particular point to the exclusion of others, your posts may be deleted.

Further, we've learned that the new TiVo for DIRECTV will not have the upgraded user experience seen in the TiVo Premiere.

See less See more
#627 ·
Syzygy said:
Bidger, you've gotta be at least a little bit unhappy with your slow HR20-700 and your slooower HR21-100. I had an HR21-100 too, and I called Retention repeatedly until I got my '21 replaced with a '24. Then I replaced my suddenly-dying HR10 with another '24 and got MRV just two months ago.

You could upgrade too. (I turned away an installer who had only '24-500s, because I believed they were turkeys compared to the other '24s.)
I have an HR24-500. Solid as a rock since day one. But, I don't have an AM21 or do Media Share so that may be the reason I've had no problems.

It seems preceptions are centered on how something is used. ;)

Mike

#628 ·
Mike Bertelson said:
I have an HR24-500. Solid as a rock since day one. But, I don't have an AM21 or do Media Share so that may be the reason I've had no problems.

It seems preceptions are centered on how something is used. ;)

Mike
Me Too!!!

I don't have any problems with my HR24-500s now that I figured out my one problem of Audio Dropouts which has now been resolved and I don't have an AM21 hooked up to it which seems to cause problems and I don't use Media Share as I have a Music Server so my Perception about the HR24-500 is that it works just fine.

#629 ·
Syzygy said:
Right. The HR24 UI is still irritating in a hundred little ways, and I never lose sight of the fact that TiVo always did those things much better. But I won't give up my MRV, one-touch recording, bookmarks, (R) icons on scheduled-to-record programs in lists and in the Guide, triple-tap text entry -- just to get a THR22 with an old-fashioned but undoubtedly user-friendly UI.
:confused:

So let me get this straight. Tivo always did things better...

Except for:
One touch recording
MRV
Bookmarks
(R) icons on programs in lists and guides that are scheduled to record
Triple tap text entry

So which is it? :rolleyes:

#630 ·
Hey Robert cut him some slack as it took me awhile to admit that almost everything I wanted in my HR10-250 (I was one of the first to get one) was now available in the Directv DVRs.

If I could get the New Directivo DVR without paying a Premium Price and still not get WHDVR Service (MRV) I would not Opt to buy it.

But if it comes with a Premium Price then it better have alot of Bells & Whistles that I currently don't have with my HR2Xs.

#632 ·
RobertE said:
:confused:

So let me get this straight. Tivo always did things better...

Except for:
One touch recording
MRV
Bookmarks
(R) icons on programs in lists and guides that are scheduled to record
Triple tap text entry

So which is it? :rolleyes:
Stuart Sweet said:
And that's the bottom line. Nothing is perfect, it all comes down to the annoyances you're willing to accept.
Pretty much sizes it up there...

#633 ·
Stuart Sweet said:
And that's the bottom line. Nothing is perfect, it all comes down to the annoyances you're willing to accept.
Everything has a compromise. Universal remotes, AVRs...DVRs. We choose what fits our requirements. Give up a feature here; put up with a quirk there, and all to get what fits our needs.

Mike

#636 ·
inkahauts said:
I can't think of one thing I liked better on a tivo than I do on my HR's....
Oh, come on! Everybody else is talking compromise, or liking some of this and some of that, and you just have to throw a verbal grenade into the crowd.

You cannot be serious!! (said in John McEnroe's most outraged voice)

#637 ·
Syzygy said:
Oh, come on! Everybody else is talking compromise, or liking some of this and some of that, and you just have to throw a verbal grenade into the crowd.

!rolling

I guess the only thing I miss is the full time DLB. I won't give the 90 buffers though.

I'm not trying to be confrontational but I have to be agree with inkahauts. I can't think of anything either. I'm not trying to ba flag waving DirecTV Fanboy, but with Nomad coming, the only thing that TiVo can do that I want will no longer be an issue.

It is possible to like what I have. :grin:

Mike

#638 ·
Syzygy said:

Sorry. I cannot either. And I am trying.

Maybe the Tivo Guy video on startup?

#640 ·
#641 ·
inkahauts said:
Everyone has their preferences.. I can't think of one thing I liked better on a tivo than I do on my HR's....
You've spent considerable time and energy convincing yourself so it isn't surprising that you may have lost perspective.

#642 ·
harsh said:
It seems like the cows are out of the barn on this one. The metaphors were out there before Microsoft obtained patents on them and they've waited far too long to pursue infringers.
Maybe, but suspect MS will persue the issue - they are fairly tenacious especially if they feel they are in the right, given the legal team comparision I suspect MS fields a larger team to tie it up in court for a couple of years. Not sure what they need to obtain a cease and desist for importing till the case if validated, but that could seriously hurt tivo if MS can pull it off

#643 ·
harsh said:
You've spent considerable time and energy convincing yourself so it isn't surprising that you may have lost perspective.
Really? Lost perspective?
From a guy who spends an awful lot of time and engergy, convincing himself that he should keep DISH, but yet seems to be an expert in everything DIRECTV.

Once Again The Phrase Fits:
Mr Pot, meet Mr. Kettle

#644 ·
harsh said:
It seems like the cows are out of the barn on this one. The metaphors were out there before Microsoft obtained patents on them and they've waited far too long to pursue infringers.
Oh, so you've obtained a J.D. and passed the federal Patent Bar now, have you? :lol:

#645 ·
harsh said:
You've spent a lot of time telling Inkahauts he's wrong yet provided no evidence that he is. Exactly what is the perspective that was lost?

It seems, from your comment, that you think the TiVo is better. Do you even have first hand experience with either product to make such a bold assertion? Heck, from the posts I've seen, even the staunchest of Tivotees are settling in for disappointment (or perhaps acceptance) regarding the new DIRECTV TiVo (which is after all what we are talking about here).

#646 ·
inkahauts said:
Everyone has their preferences.. I can't think of one thing I liked better on a tivo than I do on my HR's....
Syzygy said:

Mike Bertelson said:
!rolling

I guess the only thing I miss is the full time DLB. I won't give the 90 buffers though.

I'm not trying to be confrontational but I have to be agree with inkahauts. I can't think of anything either. I'm not trying to ba flag waving DirecTV Fanboy, but with Nomad coming, the only thing that TiVo can do that I want will no longer be an issue.

It is possible to like what I have. :grin:

Mike
tonyd79 said:
Sorry. I cannot either. And I am trying.

Maybe the Tivo Guy video on startup?
harsh said:
Doug Brott said:
You've spent a lot of time telling Inkahauts he's wrong yet provided no evidence that he is. Exactly what is the perspective that was lost?

It seems, from your comment, that you think the TiVo is better. Do you even have first hand experience with either product to make such a bold assertion? Heck, from the posts I've seen, even the staunchest of Tivotees are settling in for disappointment (or perhaps acceptance) regarding the new DIRECTV TiVo (which is after all what we are talking about here).
A few comments seem to show a powerful bias toward DirecTV.

In reply to Doug Brott, who said that harsh provided no evidence, allow me to present my experience. The HR24 is, in truth, still frustrating in a hundred little ways, and I'm not gonna list 'em all. However, here are some leading issues:

• I've recently found recordings to be corrupted or totally blank.
• Shows in the To Do List got deleted after being recorded ("could not retain") or didn't get recorded at all.
• Manual rebooting was needed to (belatedly) fix the above errors; at other times it's needed to fix generally flaky behavior.
• A "reset everything" (which deletes all recordings and SLs) might be required to make the "Plus" DVR work (or so I've heard).
• Series Links are limited to 50.
• When I was using them, ARSLs would record all reruns (albeit sometimes only partially) even though I specified First Run Only.
• Extra attention (above and beyond the usual care needed for ordinary recording requests) was required to make sure ARSL shows would be recorded.
• Press-and-hold functions, when they work, take way too long to engage, but sometimes engage when I don't want them to.
Searching, never adequate, has become less and less useful as it becomes more and more of a sales tool.

#647 ·
Me thinks there are TiVo KoolAid drinkers who still think it tastes great even after toilet water was added...and those who perhaps see the light that TiVo has passed its 15 minutes of fame and is now nearly obsolete.

People on both sides, and entitled to their likes/dislikes I suppose.

#648 ·
Syzygy said:
The comments from inkahauts and tonyd79 (and to a lesser extent, Mike Bertelson) reveal a powerful bias toward DirecTV, leading to a denial of facts and, perhaps, of their own memories.

In reply to Doug Brott, who said that harsh provided no evidence on the side of reason, allow me to present a few facts. The HR24 is, in truth, still frustrating in a hundred little ways, and I'm not gonna list 'em all. However, here are some leading issues:

• Recordings may be corrupted or totally blank.
• A show in the To Do List may get deleted after being recorded ("could not retain") or may not get recorded at all.
• Manual rebooting is frequently needed to (belatedly) fix the above errors, or just generally flaky behavior.
• Occasionally, a "reset everything" (which deletes all recordings and SLs) is required to make the "Plus" DVR work.
• ARSLs record all reruns (albeit sometimes only partially) even though you specify First Run Only.
• ARSL users must babysit the Guide and/or the To Do List to make sure shows will be recorded.
• Press-and-hold functions, when they work, take way too long to engage, but sometimes engage when you don't want them to.
Searching, never adequate, has become less and less useful as it becomes more and more of a sales tool.
91 more to go...

#649 ·
Syzygy said:
The comments from inkahauts and tonyd79 (and to a lesser extent, Mike Bertelson) reveal a powerful bias toward DirecTV, leading to a denial of facts and, perhaps, of their own memories.

In reply to Doug Brott, who said that harsh provided no evidence on the side of reason, allow me to present a few facts. The HR24 is, in truth, still frustrating in a hundred little ways, and I'm not gonna list 'em all. However, here are some leading issues:

• A show in the To Do List may get deleted after being recorded ("could not retain") or may not get recorded at all.
• Manual rebooting is frequently needed to (belatedly) fix the above errors, or just generally flaky behavior.
• Occasionally, a "reset everything" (which deletes all recordings and SLs) is required to make the "Plus" DVR work.
• ARSLs record all reruns (albeit sometimes only partially) even though you specify First Run Only.
• ARSL users must babysit the Guide and/or the To Do List to make sure shows will be recorded.
• Press-and-hold functions, when they work, take way too long to engage, but sometimes engage when you don't want them to.
You are correct, the SL limit is 50 and that's an issue for some people. I can't speak to ARSLs because I don't use them. You're correct, press-and-hold is a joke. However I've never has an issue with Search.

Here are some facts.

Recordings may be corrupted or totally blank. I have three DVRs and haven't seen this in years.

A show in the To Do List may get deleted after being recorded ("could not retain") or may not get recorded at all. I'm not even sure what some of this means but let me say I have lost or missed a recording in years.

Occasionally, a "reset everything" (which deletes all recordings and SLs) is required to make the "Plus" DVR work. Good Lord, why the heck would you ever reset everything except in the most dire of situations...BTW, I've never done it.

I bring up these three because they are completely miss leading. You constantly push these out there as if they are the de facto truth; as if the majority of users have these issues. That can't be farther from the truth. And, as for the "reset everything", if you have to that at all you have a major problem and if it's something you need to do occasionally then you have a serious hardware problem. It is completely abnormal and to put it out there as a necessity and common place is just spreading the worst possible tripe.

I seriously resent the fact that you telling me and others that we are incapable of making an objective decision and that only you can see the truth. If you have those recording/hardware issues listed above then you have a problem that needs to and can be fixed. If not then you're just using anecdotal issues of very few and trying to claim they are common place.

You can discuss all the features; what works, what doesn't, and any-danged-thing else related to TiVo and DirecTV DVRs you want to and no one will stop you. Seriously, you could have brought up all those points without having to comment on other posters and it would have been just fine.

Discuss the platforms and leave the mudslinging out of it.

Mike

#650 ·
Syzygy said:
However, here are some leading issues:

This can and does happen to all DVRs. Including your infallable tivo.

Syzygy said:
Same as above.

Syzygy said:
No one has ever had to pull the plug on a tivo to get it working again? More ice for your tivo-aid?

Syzygy said:
Never had to do a reset everything on my personal HR2x boxes, or any of the thousands of clients I've had dealings with over the last 4+ years. Let's write this off as myth busted.

Syzygy said:
You score a point for this one.

Syzygy said:
Never use ARSLs myself, so can't say on its operation.

Syzygy said:
Checking your To Do list periodicly is never a bad idea. Guide data glitches have affected all DVRs in the past (even the precious tivo) and most likely will in the future.

Syzygy said:
Going to push this one into the opinion group.

Syzygy said:
Ditto.

Better luck next time.

#651 ·
Here are some things on my list that I hope the new tivo improves upon the HRs. In no certain order

#1 Guide GUI (list style)
#2 Responds promptly to remote commands
#3 Overall system speed up
#4 increase Season passes to at least 75 or 100
#5 Tivo2Go functionality
#6 Boot up time
#7 Full time live dual buffers (I really miss that)
#8 No Audio dropouts that make my AVR go clicking crazy
#9 built in OTA like the HR10-250 (I know pipe dream)
#10 Scanning ability for OTA with built in tuners or AM21 add on
#11 Wishlists without having to learn a foreign language
#12 Auto Tune feature to turn on a certain channel at a certain time
#13 Picture in Picture capability
#14 Sleep timer to put system into standby
#15 menu options to turn off that bright blue ring (if the ring is even there)
#16 Ability to use DVR to while not hooked to Satellite
#17 Ability to archive content
#18 More than 2 tuners
#19 Widescreen (16X9) GUI
#20 IP control (I know this is coming soon to the HRs)
#21 Add harddrives without rendering others useless
#22 Have a way of backing up settings such as season passes
#23 Move content from DVR to DVR
#24 Customize searches (CIG, no PPV and etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.