DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DIRECTV HD Receiver with TiVo (Official Q1 2011 Thread)

132K views 1K replies 121 participants last post by  hdtvfan0001 
#1 ·
Folks, there's precious little to say about the upcoming DIRECTV TiVo-based device that hasn't already been said, but here's the thread for you to say it.

Synopsis of common arguments: (in other words, this ground's already been trodden, do we have to go there again?)
  • Many people like the TiVo interface, especially the list guide.
  • Many people are equally fond of the DIRECTV interface.
  • Many people think that TiVos are easier for them to use.
  • Many people think that DIRECTV DVRs are easier for them to use.
  • Standalone TiVo devices have many features that are appealing to people.
  • No guarantee has been made that any feature from a standalone TiVo will make it to the DIRECTV TiVo.
  • The new device will run on DIRECTV hardware, although we don't know how that will work (we have some ideas).
  • TiVo, Inc. will develop the software for the device and seems to be solely responsible for the user experience.
Ground Rules:
  • This is not a free-for-all. Rudeness will not be tolerated.
  • Remember that all forum rules are still in effect.
  • Do not "bump" this thread.
  • Other threads relating to the DirecTV TiVo-HD Receiver will be closed.
  • If you harp on a particular point to the exclusion of others, your posts may be deleted.

Further, we've learned that the new TiVo for DIRECTV will not have the upgraded user experience seen in the TiVo Premiere.

See less See more
#677 ·
Back a few years ago I had a HR22-100 that had a HMDI issue with my Sony TV that would sometimes reboot on its own upon power up, 9 minutes to live tv. Issue has long been fixed.

The last TiVo units I had rebooted a couple of times a day, every day. Some folks here only remember what they like, I loved my TiVo and now with all of the features of the HR series I will likely never own another TiVo.

#678 ·
ffemtreed said:
And at what point did I say the TIVO's do this now???? I said what I would like to see IMPROVED from the HR's. You don't have to be so defensive just because someone doesn't agree that the HR's are perfect little DVRs that don't need anymore features added to it.

PS the boot times are in 10's of minutes not a couple. Last time I timed it it took 21 minutes to get to a live picture for my HR22-100. That was a reboot, not a software download.
Wow, that's a long time. My HR21-100 takes ≤ that with a software download. It should be less than half of that.

Mike

#680 ·
hdtvfan0001 said:
My understanding is that every new HD TiVo DVR will include one of these...

I needed one of those for my HR24/H24 experience. Based on this thread and the one at TCF I really expected them to be much more than they really turned out to be.

Now don't get your feathers ruffled, I am not saying they are bad, but they aren't what the DirecTV fan boys made them out to be either.

I am dissappointed that Media share doesn't work as people and DirecTV implied. I am dissappointed that Media share doesn't get web video content I desire, but IFC picking up Onion News eliminated my biggest complaint in that area. And I may be less dissappointed when Nomad comes, assuming it won't add to my monthly bill. So things are headed in the right direction, but currently it is still disappointing to me.

#681 ·
ffemtreed said:
PS the boot times are in 10's of minutes not a couple. Last time I timed it it took 21 minutes to get to a live picture for my HR22-100. That was a reboot, not a software download.
Just tested a menu reset on my HR24-100. From the time I pushed '-' to start it until live TV was 4:56.

#682 ·
CuriousMark said:
I needed one of those for my HR24/H24 experience. Based on this thread and the one at TCF I really expected them to be much more than they really turned out to be.

Now don't get your feathers ruffled, I am not saying they are bad, but they aren't what the DirecTV fan boys made them out to be either.

I am dissappointed that Media share doesn't work as people and DirecTV implied. I am dissappointed that Media share doesn't get web video content I desire, but IFC picking up Onion News eliminated my biggest complaint in that area. And I may be less dissappointed when Nomad comes, assuming it won't add to my monthly bill. So things are headed in the right direction, but currently it is still disappointing to me.
Sorry to hear that, but nothing compares with the nightmares experienced with past TiVobox DVRs that I witnessed for years firsthand.

In comparison....my H24/HR24 experience had been a fanboy's dream. :D

That said...I agree that MediaShare is not ready for most folks in terms of prime time. They've done some remodeling on it of late...but there's more work to be done for sure.

That's not really an H24/HR24 issue so much as an overall HD DVR firmware issue - it impacts all their HR2x units.

In contrast...when I turn on the new HD Tivobox....well....I get a totally blank screen.... :lol:

#683 ·
ffemtreed said:
Here are some things on my list that I hope the new tivo improves upon the HRs...
Here's my guess as to which of those 24 wishes are likely to be granted by TiVo:

#1 Guide GUI (list style)
#4 Increase Season Passes to at least 75 or 100
#7 Full time live dual buffers (I really miss that)
#11 Wishlists without having to learn a foreign language
#24 Customized searches (CIG, no PPV and etc)

#685 ·
kymikes said:
You are far too young. My first PC had 128 KB and 2 5 1/4 floppies and I caught all kind of grief from my geek friends for wasting money because anyone who couldn't contain their software in 64 KB was just lazy and incompetent. I was also around to hear the discussions about memory usage above the 640K boundary because no one would ever need that much (Bill Gates). It is a very different world (as I just added a 2 TB esata drive to my HR21). :D:D:D
you are pretty young also, my first was a altair 8080 that I bought mail order from an ad in Popular electronics and had to build it - still have it in the basement and I am protecting it from my wife when she getsin one of her cleaning moods

#686 ·
sigma1914 said:
Just tested a menu reset on my HR24-100. From the time I pushed '-' to start it until live TV was 4:56.
I am not privledged enough to get a 24 yet. MAybe when one of my boxes die i'll get lucky enough to be sent a 24.

I am trying to hold out for the HR34/HMC or whatever it is before I agree to any more commitments. I am almost out of the doghouse and want to keep my options open. I am seriously thinking or going to netflix and OTA, at least for a bit of time to save up some $$$$$

#687 ·
Mike Bertelson said:
You can discuss all the features; what works, what doesn't, and any-danged-thing else related to TiVo and DirecTV DVRs you want to and no one will stop you. Seriously, you could have brought up all those points without having to comment on other posters and it would have been just fine.
Sorry about that, Mike. I revised my inflammatory post in several ways:
Syzygy said:
A few comments seem to show a powerful bias toward DirecTV.

In reply to Doug Brott, who said that harsh provided no evidence, allow me to present my experience...

#690 ·
Syzygy said:
Here's my guess as to which of those 24 wishes are likely to be granted by TiVo:

#1 Guide GUI (list style)
#4 Increase Season Passes to at least 75 or 100
#7 Full time live dual buffers (I really miss that)
#11 Wishlists without having to learn a foreign language
#24 Customized searches (CIG, no PPV and etc)
1. I am sure you will get that.. even though you have a version of it on the hr that I find even better for me, but not everyone is the same....

4. I am guessing no limits at all on that... They didn't have them before. Just a long wait time.

7. Yep, they will have that active all the time too I'd bet.. with an entire 30 mins for each buffer instead of the 90 mins on the HRs Again, all about personal preference.

11. I'd rather learn a foreign language so I don't have to babysit the darn thing like I had to with tivo that NEVER properly recorded any of my sports wishlists... This is the number one reason I will never own only a tivo system again... A total non starter for me.

24. This one gets me more than any, because I always had new shopping channels showing up in the darn guide ever week that I had to delete.. Thats even worse than Directvs CIG issues for me... At least I know directvs is consistent... Tivo was always a freaking crap shoot for me...

#691 ·
"ffemtreed" said:
And at what point did I say the TIVO's do this now???? I said what I would like to see IMPROVED from the HR's. You don't have to be so defensive just because someone doesn't agree that the HR's are perfect little DVRs that don't need anymore features added to it.

Never said you said they were on TiVo today. I thought it funny that you are hoping TiVo would add a bunch of stuff on a box that isn't theirs that they don't have on boxes if their own. I am not defensive but I thought it also funny that you didn't ask for these things on a directv dvr. Sure looked like you were hoping the TiVo gods were going to be more than they are.

And 21 minutes for a reboot is damned long. Mine take less than 5 minutes on three different boxes. It usually takes less than 21 to do a software reload. Do you have signal problems so the satellite info takes along time? (I ask because that is by far the longest part of a reboot.)

#693 ·
tonyd79 said:
Never said you said they were on TiVo today. I thought it funny that you are hoping TiVo would add a bunch of stuff on a box that isn't theirs that they don't have on boxes if their own. I am not defensive but I thought it also funny that you didn't ask for these things on a directv dvr. Sure looked like you were hoping the TiVo gods were going to be more than they are.

And 21 minutes for a reboot is damned long. Mine take less than 5 minutes on three different boxes. It usually takes less than 21 to do a software reload. Do you have signal problems so the satellite info takes along time? (I ask because that is by far the longest part of a reboot.)
We are talking about TIVO's in this thread, but you could very well substitute my list to say what I would like to see on the next version of the HR series DVR's.

Still trying to figure out why you think its such a bad thing to have some wishes and wants?

#694 ·
harsh said:
Even a blowhard such as yourself knows that you don't have to have a Juris Doctor to sit for and pass the Patent Bar.
Googled that all by your lonesome, did you? :lol:

So, are you asserting that you are a registered patent agent pursuant to the rules and regulations of the the United States Patent and Trademark Office? Of course, you'd have to have at least a bachelor's degree in a recognized technical subject or prove relevant engineering experience by having taken and passed the FE exam. And there are still differences between a full patent attorney and a patent agent. But of course, I'm sure you knew that already . . . :nono2:

So, what are your degrees in? :)

#695 ·
LameLefty said:
Googled that all by your lonesome, did you? :lol:

So, are you asserting that you are a registered patent agent pursuant to the rules and regulations of the the United States Patent and Trademark Office? Of course, you'd have to have at least a bachelor's degree in a recognized technical subject or prove relevant engineering experience by having taken and passed the FE exam. And there are still differences between a full patent attorney and a patent agent. But of course, I'm sure you knew that already . . . :nono2:

So, what are your degrees in? :)
DISHology! :lol:

#697 ·
inkahauts said:
4. I am guessing no limits at all on that... They didn't have them before. Just a long wait time.
No kidding. While I would have liked more then 50 (not that I ever went over that) the Tivo got sooooo slow the more you added. Get near 100 and it was glacial adding a new season pass or reordering it. Hopefully Tivo has fixed that problem.

7. Yep, they will have that active all the time too I'd bet.. with an entire 30 mins for each buffer instead of the 90 mins on the HRs Again, all about personal preference.
You know, I still don't understand this "big issue" of full time dual buffers. I mean, is it soooooo hard to push one extra button to activate the 2nd buffer on the HR? If the fans of Tivo are down to complaining about that...please.

11. I'd rather learn a foreign language so I don't have to babysit the darn thing like I had to with tivo that NEVER properly recorded any of my sports wishlists... This is the number one reason I will never own only a tivo system again... A total non starter for me.
You know, same thing for me. Over several of my DirecTivo's I could never get the wishlist to properly record Red Wings games. I got to the point I just never trusted it and left it as a saved search I ran every couple weeks and manually recorded games. On the HR I was gun shy and kept doing it until the boolean's were added. Then I tried that and it never once missed recording a game, and on the correct channel no less because you can limit the search to just one channel unlike on the Tivo which would always want to record on the lowest channel number which most likely was blacked out for me and thus I'd have a 3 hour recording of black screen.

DirecTV got this one right on the HR.

#698 ·
bonscott87 said:
You know, I still don't understand this "big issue" of full time dual buffers. I mean, is it soooooo hard to push one extra button to activate the 2nd buffer on the HR? If the fans of Tivo are down to complaining about that...please.

I like the always live buffers for those times when you accidentally bump a button on the remote or the dog steps on the remote or the wife wants a quick look at the weather channel while I go get another beer.

I use it more as a safety net than anything. This happened to me a lot while watching the olympics for some reason.

You are correct about the previous tivo and wishlists trying to record hockey games. It was a PITA. I would hope that feature could be improved upon with the new tivo. The boolean logic code used on the HR's is like a chore for me. The last thing I want to do when I get home from work is code boolean searches into my DVR. I definatly understand how to work it because I have somewhat of a computer programming background (C,C++,COBOL and Turbo Pascal) and currently visual basic and vbs scripts.

#699 ·
ffemtreed said:
I like the always live buffers for those times when you accidentally bump a button on the remote or the dog steps on the remote or the wife wants a quick look at the weather channel while I go get another beer.

I use it more as a safety net than anything. This happened to me a lot while watching the olympics for some reason.

You are correct about the previous tivo and wishlists trying to record hockey games. It was a PITA. I would hope that feature could be improved upon with the new tivo. The boolean logic code used on the HR's is like a chore for me. The last thing I want to do when I get home from work is code boolean searches into my DVR. I definatly understand how to work it because I have somewhat of a computer programming background (C,C++,COBOL and Turbo Pascal) and currently visual basic and vbs scripts.
Do what I do when I go to the fridge or bathroom -- take the remote with you.

No, I am not joking.

With two kids under 8 and a wife, you can never be too protective with the remote.

#700 ·
"ffemtreed" said:
I don't know what TiVo you used but constant dual buffers don't save you from button bumps other than if you jumped to the other buffer. Hit the channel change and the buffer you are watching dumps.

The only dvr I have had that does what you want is the fios one where the second buffer is the previously viewed channel. But that leads to other use model issues.

#701 ·
"ffemtreed" said:
We are talking about TIVO's in this thread, but you could very well substitute my list to say what I would like to see on the next version of the HR series DVR's.

Still trying to figure out why you think its such a bad thing to have some wishes and wants?
Nothing wrong with a wishlist. Why do you think I think it is a bad thing. I commented on the irony of who you were hoping would do it. That is all. And you say I am defensive. I'm chuckling and having a fun chat. Nothing more.

As for wishlists. They have helped improve both TiVo and directv DVRs. No way they are a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.