DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DIRECTV HD Receiver with TiVo (Official Q1 2011 Thread)

132K views 1K replies 121 participants last post by  hdtvfan0001 
#1 ·
Folks, there's precious little to say about the upcoming DIRECTV TiVo-based device that hasn't already been said, but here's the thread for you to say it.

Synopsis of common arguments: (in other words, this ground's already been trodden, do we have to go there again?)
  • Many people like the TiVo interface, especially the list guide.
  • Many people are equally fond of the DIRECTV interface.
  • Many people think that TiVos are easier for them to use.
  • Many people think that DIRECTV DVRs are easier for them to use.
  • Standalone TiVo devices have many features that are appealing to people.
  • No guarantee has been made that any feature from a standalone TiVo will make it to the DIRECTV TiVo.
  • The new device will run on DIRECTV hardware, although we don't know how that will work (we have some ideas).
  • TiVo, Inc. will develop the software for the device and seems to be solely responsible for the user experience.
Ground Rules:
  • This is not a free-for-all. Rudeness will not be tolerated.
  • Remember that all forum rules are still in effect.
  • Do not "bump" this thread.
  • Other threads relating to the DirecTV TiVo-HD Receiver will be closed.
  • If you harp on a particular point to the exclusion of others, your posts may be deleted.

Further, we've learned that the new TiVo for DIRECTV will not have the upgraded user experience seen in the TiVo Premiere.

See less See more
#705 ·
I don't think expecting anything more than the current half-assed premiere is unreasonable. But if DirecTV is truly doing an HDGUI this year as they hinted in the investor presentation, sounds like the in house DVR will be better than an old Tivo UI.

Getting good things out of DirecTV is like pulling teeth these days. (National HD adds and an UPDATED Tivo that is current with 2011 - not 2005).

#706 ·
cypherx said:
I don't think expecting anything more than the current half-assed premiere is unreasonable.
HR10 + MPEG4 should be the expectation. Wanting more than that is reasonable .. expecting more than that is not.

#709 ·
Adman1 said:
Doug,
So you think there will be no broadband content, no Music and Photos support? Literally, a closed HR10 with mpeg4?

That would be amazingly poor.
There should be VOD, yes. Don't expect Netflix or any other "competitor" to DIRECTV though, you've gotta understand that at least even if you're in disagreement with it.

MediaShare (like) support? Don't know. If this is something that TiVo can easily shoe-horn in to the old platform, then perhaps. There will be a few new features. We know KidZone and Swivel Search are supposed to be there (I think) .. TiVo's style of MRV could be for TiVo-to-TiVo (although I don't expect it to).

Keep in mind that I believe the primary purpose of this box will be to entice the TiVo SD customers to move up to HD. For them, this will be the perfect box. It will work exactly like the SD TiVo (well close to exactly) except that it will support MPEG4 HD.

I expect there to be a relatively small upcharge ..

For many HD users here @ DBSTalk, the new TiVo will be neither Revolutionary or Evolutionary .. it will feel like a blast from the past. For SD users who haven't moved to HD .. It could be a comfort to have the same interface.

In the end, I think TiVo will do OK, but it won't be anything like the first time TiVo made it's way onto DIRECTV.

#713 ·
jacmyoung said:
But isn't it a bit cruel to ask people to only expect an HR10, at today's tech pace, it is almost like asking people to go back to live in a cave:)
for mom and pop with SD it's an upgrade. simple upgrade. same interface but HD, for when they finally buy an HD set. very logical that they just might be happy. just might.

#715 ·
Stuart Sweet said:
Adman1, I'm not Doug, but based on sources we have in common, that's precisely what I expect.
............. Hmmm

#716 ·
Doug Brott said:
Keep in mind that I believe the primary purpose of this box will be to entice the TiVo SD customers to move up to HD. For them, this will be the perfect box. It will work exactly like the SD TiVo (well close to exactly) except that it will support MPEG4 HD.
Doug, I Never Thought About It Like That!!! Great Post!!! :)

#717 ·
Doug Brott said:
...at least that was Ben Franklin's sales pitch when the project started...

#718 ·
Stuart Sweet said:
Adman1, I'm not Doug, but based on sources we have in common, that's precisely what I expect.
stuart, this would then be a big change over what had been planned, correct? tivo's plan was to make this a premium experience with an upcharge and significant financial upside (per subscriber) for tivo. i'm certain this had been communicated in some fashion or another. i'll have to find the quotes.

are your sources indicating that the original plan has changed?

wow, it's the same box they had in 2004 which wasn't even state of the art then (other than HD).

#719 ·
Adman1 said:
... wow, it's the same box they had in 2004 which wasn't even state of the art then (other than HD).
Maybe so, but the 2004 HD TiVo was more attractive to me than the 2011 HR2x is now, even with all the bells and whistles (and bugs) DirecTV has added to its own boxes. (Big exception: MRV!)

#720 ·
cypherx said:
I don't think expecting anything more than the current half-assed premiere is unreasonable.
I dont think the Premier is half-assed. Its media share works, all its internet connectivity works, and contrary to popular opinion of most users on here, suggestions are a really nice addition. It has found suggestions I would never have known about. I would say a good 25% of what I watch, are suggestions it recorded for me. The HDGUI was a little sluggish with the stock drive, but I slipped a Seagate 2TB barracuda inside, and now I have no problems with speed...and the second core of the dual core processor isnt even being used yet.

I would love a premier that worked with DirecTv, even if they contractually had to strip out the internet access utilities like Pandora and Netflix, etc.

#722 ·
rayik said:
Is this the 3rd year there has been a DirecTV-HD-TIVO anticipation thread? Sure are some faithful people here to keep it going.
Some people are hopeful and it can, at times, be an interesting discussion. :)

Mike

#723 ·
Adman1 said:
stuart, this would then be a big change over what had been planned, correct? tivo's plan was to make this a premium experience with an upcharge and significant financial upside (per subscriber) for tivo. i'm certain this had been communicated in some fashion or another. i'll have to find the quotes.

are your sources indicating that the original plan has changed?

wow, it's the same box they had in 2004 which wasn't even state of the art then (other than HD).
I can't comment on the marketing strategy. My understanding is that this is the box that was planned all along. I know that certain statements were made in press releases, but I'm not aware that there was ever a plan to bring a Premiere-like experience to DIRECTV.

#724 ·
Stuart Sweet said:
I can't comment on the marketing strategy. My understanding is that this is the box that was planned all along. I know that certain statements were made in press releases, but I'm not aware that there was ever a plan to bring a Premiere-like experience to DIRECTV.
My memory is not infallible but the only word I remember starting with "premi" used way back was that there would be a premium to use the DirecTivo. That, in itself, could lead people to think that it was a premium service.

#725 ·
Well, if they'd come out and said that people would pay more for essentially 2004 technology, we wouldn't have had three years of anticipation threads :lol:

#726 ·
Doesn't the DirecTV TiVo announcement pre-date the TiVo Premier by about a year and a half?

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.