DBSTalk Forum banner

Interesting comment by DTV tech.

7K views 58 replies 28 participants last post by  Rich 
#1 ·
Hi All,

So today, during my visit by a badged DTV tech, he mentioned that the HR22 was the best receiver that DTV has had, since it uses Intel chips, and all the others are using AMDs...

I love my 24-500, so I'm not complaining, but what do y'all think?

- Jon

#9 ·
"dsw2112" said:
Yep...and the number of splitter ports determines how many tuners you can have...the HR20-100 doesn't work with DECA...multiswitches can be used with SWMLnbs.................
The HR20-100 can work with DECA with a splitter with the module going to the 2nd sat port and the other split line into the 1st sat port

#10 ·
Kevin F said:
The HR20-100 can work with DECA with a splitter with the module going to the 2nd sat port and the other split line into the 1st sat port
That's the only one you picked on? If you re-read the post you'll probably get the sarcasm ;)

Hint: Things said by D* techs that aren't true. :D

#11 ·
dsw2112 said:
Yep...and the number of splitter ports determines how many tuners you can have...the HR20-100 doesn't work with DECA...multiswitches can be used with SWMLnbs.................
:lol:

- Merg

#15 ·
That's not at all the kind of "training" any tech is going to get. DirecTV has zero interest in paying to train techs to know what kind of chipsets are in their receivers. For the most part, they don't want anyone to know or care.

But in situations like that, there's always going to be a handful of guys who make up stuff because they want to look smart, or who hear something from someone else and pass it on without any official verification. Happens in all tech fields; it's human nature.

#16 ·
BattleZone said:
That's not at all the kind of "training" any tech is going to get. DirecTV has zero interest in paying to train techs to know what kind of chipsets are in their receivers. For the most part, they don't want anyone to know or care.
I'd think that part of the training would be not to make any stupid remarks, just stick to what you know. I was taught that during my electrical apprenticeship. We were told that most people wouldn't understand us and it was best to keep our mouths shut and get the job done.

But in situations like that, there's always going to be a handful of guys who make up stuff because they want to look smart, or who hear something from someone else and pass it on without any official verification. Happens in all tech fields; it's human nature.
Agreed. Some people just want to sound smart. I was told by one installer that they were told to keep their eyes out for OSHA inspectors. How could you possibly do that? They don't ride around in trucks with OSHA printed on the sides of the trucks. The sit in offices waiting for the phone to ring and someone to complain about a safety issue that is not being addressed by their management. They'll immediately respond to catastrophes, but for the most part the employee has to make the call. That installer had no idea how that process worked.

Rich

#17 ·
Techs can be a clueless as CSR's.

One tech insisted that there was only one OTA tuner in my HR20-700, pointing out that there was only one antenna connection on the back of the DVR. Since I knew I had one bad tuner I insisted he replace the unit.

OTOH, there are good techs and good CSR's to be found.

#20 ·
WestDC said:
What happened to all the left over commodore 64 Chips; they were used in the hr20's :)
Doubtful, but even if so, those were pretty reliable chips, which may be why the HR20 typically runs rings around all of the other DVRs (other than of course the HR24 and up) and has a widely-held reputation for better speed and reliability than they do.

#22 ·
whieb said:
now before i say anything, im not saying he was right. i do understand where he is coming from because some hr-22 receivers have an intel sticker on the front.

if its not for the processor what piece inside is made by intel?
That was probably due to Media Share. I don't use it much, but "back in the day" it had Intel logos in the menu, it was based on Intel Viiv I believe. Not sure if it's based a sucessor to that or not though, it didn't work well for me and I haven't tried it again. But nothing to do with the processor, and it was supported by all the HD boxes, except the H20 (no network jack.)

#23 ·
Oh dear. That's a very sad statement by the tech.

And BTW the intel logos on some HR2x devices refer to their compatibility with the now-defunct Intel Viiv standard.

#26 ·
David Ortiz said:
Reminds me of the time the employee at Home Depot was telling me how much better RG-59 was than the RG-6 I was asking about.
Well, 59 is that much higher than 6.

- Merg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.