DBSTalk Forum banner

DIRECTV Everywhere -- Watch TV on your PC and mobile device

42K views 67 replies 34 participants last post by  wco81 
#1 ·
Any details on this other than "soon"?

Dear DIRECTV® Customer,

At DIRECTV, we pride ourselves on delivering the very best technological innovations, programming choices and service offerings. In the last year, we have enhanced your overall television entertainment experience in a number of exceptional ways:

• #1 in Customer Satisfaction among all cable and satellite providers*
• An unparalleled variety of the best shows, sports, movies and entertainment
• More than 170 full-time HD channels, the most of any television provider
• Access to HBO GO® and MAX GO® anywhere with your computer or mobile device
• A smarter, lighting fast HD On-Screen Guide, optimized for HD television
• The most full-time 3D channels
Coming Soon...Watch TV on your PC and mobile device with DIRECTV Everywhere

Above all else, we strive to bring you the best selection of movies, sporting events and television channels. Annually, the owners of these TV channels increase the fees they charge to DIRECTV for the right to broadcast their content. As a result, DIRECTV must periodically adjust the pricing and channel lineups of some of our programming packages so that we can keep these channels in your package.

This year, the programming costs we pay to owners of TV channels will increase about 10%, but we have chosen to adjust the prices our customers pay by an average of only 4%. On February 9, 2012, new pricing will be applied to DIRECTV® programming packages and services. Click here for more complete details.

We look forward to continuing to provide you with the highest quality entertainment, service and value. Thank you for your business.

Sincerely,

Ellen Filipiak
Senior Vice President of Customer Service

#2 ·
No date yet but here is some more info from DirecTV (and even more at the link at the bottom):
What is DIRECTV Everywhere?
DIRECTV brings you the best entertainment experience, and now you can take it with you everywhere you go. Watch the hottest movies and shows instantly on your laptop, iPad®, or cell phone. Set your DVR, order movies and live events to watch on your TV, and share your entertainment on Facebook and Twitter. You can do all this and more with My DIRECTV, your ultimate entertainment destination.

Watch the hottest movies and shows anywhere, anytime, on your laptop, iPad®, or cell phone.
Browse dedicated pages for movies, shows, live events-even your favorite premium networks, like HBO®, Cinemax®, and more.
Create Favorites lists of channels, movies, and TV shows for quick access.
See your recently purchased movies available for online viewing all in one place.
Take advantage of advanced search features like typeahead and then filter your results by various categories: channels, genre, even star ratings.
Share the entertainment you like with your friends and followers on Facebook and Twitter.
Add movies still in theaters to your DVR queue. They'll automatically appear in your DVR playlist as soon they're released for home viewing.
from DirecTV Everywhere

#3 ·
Thanks for the link. I still can't figure out "how" DIRECTV everywhere will work though. Streaming from the in-home receivers? Streaming from a library of content on DIRECTV servers? No streaming, but copying instead?

Also ... what's the cost? It would be nice if it was free, but I'll set my expectations low and hope for a pleasant surprise...

#6 ·
inkahauts said:
It sounds like they are going to have the iPad app on the pc, since the iPad app will do all this today, between all the streaming channels, hbo go, nomad, etc...
The iPad app won't do it all...

This sounds like you will be able to use it anywhere... the iPad only allows streaming in the home.

Hopefully, the app will be updated with this ability at the same time...

~Alan

#7 ·
Alan Gordon said:
The iPad app won't do it all...

This sounds like you will be able to use it anywhere... the iPad only allows streaming in the home.

Hopefully, the app will be updated with this ability at the same time...

~Alan
This. The iPad app does not do everything this is stating. Im wondering how similar this going to be to Sling, if at all?

#8 ·
Shades228 said:
It will be a web interface you login with your DIRECTV credentials.
I think Shades has it right. ;)

#9 ·
hbkbiggestfan said:
This. The iPad app does not do everything this is stating. Im wondering how similar this going to be to Sling, if at all?
I doubt it's anything like Sling... my bet is streaming from DirecTV's servers just like the iPad app now, but you'll have the ability to do it EVERYWHERE instead of just in your own home.

~Alan

#13 ·
hbkbiggestfan said:
Actually, the iPad app does do all that is listed except that it is currently limited to within your home and on your wifi network for much of it (some can be done outside, like scheduling). All they need to do is open it up to outside the home.

#14 ·
tonyd79 said:
Actually, the iPad app does do all that is listed except that it is currently limited to within your home and on your wifi network for much of it (some can be done outside, like scheduling). All they need to do is open it up to outside the home.
Which I'm guessing can open up a whole new set of problems. Right now everything is locked down to a single subnet, I'd guess for a very good reason having to do with DRM/piracy etc...

#18 ·
Jive Turkey said:
I don't understand this. I use all the same browsers on my Macs (Firefox, Chrome, Opera) as I did on PCs and haven't come across a streaming website that doesn't work in 4+ years.
Maybe he's concerned it'll be Flash-based! (Hence not work on iPhones or iPads)....?

#20 ·
"CCarncross" said:
If it uses Flash your SOL...
I would say that would be a huge setback then. Isn't Adobe even moving away from Flash? I thought I read that somewhere.

- Merg

#21 ·
The Merg said:
I would say that would be a huge setback then. Isn't Adobe even moving away from Flash? I thought I read that somewhere.

- Merg
You're right.

At the same time, worrying about Flash on Macs is a non-starter; they handle Flash fine. It's the iDevices that block Flash, so perhaps someone was confused by conflating the devices with the computers.

#24 ·
"Stuart Sweet" said:
I don't think you need to be worried about Flash.
I don't think anyone needs to worry about flash on anything anymore, while its now dead on mobile devices, I expect it to be dead everywhere in the next couple years. No one is going to want to code twice when there is no advantage to doing so. If anything, there are disadvantages.

#26 ·
CCarncross said:
We've got to make sure that 3000+ devices have a new enough version of flash on them for a live streaming thing THIS Friday......there are plenty of idiots out there still writing and expecting flash to run.
What streaming thing is happening this Friday? One we'd like to see?

Especially items written by idiots? :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.