DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DIRECTV App for iPad (1.5.x) with DIRECTV Everywhere - Issues and Discussion

80K views 290 replies 105 participants last post by  SteelDog 
#1 ·
The first time it might have been a fluke...
The second time they proved they had the stuff...
Third time's more than the charm for the DIRECTV App for iPad!

Announcing DIRECTV Everywhere, now on the DIRECTV App for iPad, version 1.5 and higher! Take your DIRECTV with you with streaming outside the home!

Please enjoy this visual tour through the new features available in version 1.5.

DIRECTV App for iPad with DIRECTV Everywhere

Please note that some DBSTalk.com testers and staff members may have received free equipment from DIRECTV or its partners for the purpose of evaluation and testing.

See less See more
#36 ·
kevinturcotte said:
Does it work over wi-fi, or ONLY 3G/4G
It works on both
I just tethered my iPad to my phone and was watching over 3G on T-mobile but for those who have it built into the iPad, can't speak for them.

#39 ·
Another great First Look! The implementation here is great but I really think they jumped the gun by launching it without more content. They are marketing it somewhat deceptively by saying you can watch what you get at home anywhere. The reality is that broad statement is very limited (to the premium channels and Audience). I think it was a mistake because having so much excluded causes lots of confusion - which this thread illustrates - and creates a negative experience that many will try, be disappointed, and never try again. I really hope they can add more channels in the future quickly - especially for live streaming outside the home. Additionally, the Nomad app hasn't been updated for a long time - doesn't it make sense to merge this app with the nomad app so you could watch recorded shows on your iPad too through the directv app - that way everything is in one, more intuitive app?

#47 ·
kevinturcotte said:
what does jailbreaking the iPad get you?
For me, lots of great OS patches my favorites being no lock, screen on while charging (not a good idea for the iPad 3 but great for an iPhone), NO spotlight search, profiles based on location, time, date, whether your near WIFI (turns off cell data), lots of themes and many many other nice OS patches. If you're not into that type of customization then it's not worth it. Sorta like rooting and custom roms and custom themes.

#49 ·
smileyw said:
xCon does work, but it hasn't been updated to work with this brand new version. I guess we will have to wait a few days.
Thanks. Hopefully it won't take too long to update. I notice that this app was developed originally for the DirecTV app, and later expanded to others, so I would hope the author has a vested interest in fixing it up quickly :)

#50 ·
Pretty stoked about this but the prices to watch on-demand are rather pricey for iPad viewing - 5.99 for current rentals, same as on the big set. However I love having options and kudos to DTV for getting this out. Also, LOVE that Fox Sports Soccer is one of the live channels and Sony Movie channel on-demand is part of TV Everywhere. Getting ESPN networks would be a COUP but not holding my breath.

#51 ·
Justin23 said:
If you try to use HBO Go or Max GO it won't display the video, only audio. I think those premium channels wrote code into those apps to prevent them from being displayed on other devices. Makes sense if you don't subscribe to those services but grab someone's login & password to watch on your TV.
If you have an iPad 2 or a 3rd generation iPad you can airplay anything even if the app doesn't allow it. Just double tap the home button and then slide all the way to the left and you will see that you can mirror what ever you have on your iPad and it will show up on your TV full screen if you have an Apple TV 2nd or 3rd generation,if the show you are watching is in widescreen. You will get The Video with the Audio this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.