DBSTalk Forum banner

On Demand - painfully slow?

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Rich 
#1 ·
Is navigating On Demand on your HD DVR painfully slow? Mine is. My wife was trying to find something last night and it took ages just to get the screen to come up, then each button press to go down a page in the listings took 10+ seconds. That can't be right. I know there are other ways to find the information (web site, ipad app) but if you've already got the TV on why bother with a second screen? (Except right now you kinda have to.)

#2 ·
This has been noticed when using channel 1000. If you know what channel your program is coming from, try putting a "1" in front of the channel (TNT is channel 245, TNT on demand is 1245). Also, if you notice white triangles on the names of the channels in your guide, highlight the channel name and press select to go to its on demand page. These pages will navigate much quicker than channel 1000 which houses all of the on demand content. If you know the name of what you're looking for, just do a smart search for it.

#4 ·
, if you notice white triangles on the names of the channels in your guide, highlight the channel name and press select to go to its on demand page.

IRCC the right key to press is INFO

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#5 ·
When I highlight them, the prompt in the middle of the screen is for "select". I believe it was the info key prior to the white triangles. I could be mistaken though as I usually just go straight to the On Demand channel by punching in the number.

#6 ·
Also it sounds dumb but when picking something from the list, Hit RECORD button, not select then record. Way faster!!!
Unless you want to WATCH NOW! I find the receiver keeps up faster when doing a "Watch now", Then setting a recording. Just things I've noticed from my HR34.

#8 ·
litzdog911 said:
What model HD DVR do you have? Have you tried resetting it?
If he has the HR23, its just that slow. Reboot till your blue in the face. Makes no difference! Reboot may also wipe your ondemand availability for 24 hours too.

#10 ·
It most definitely is select. If you press info on the triangles it brings up a page telling you what is currently airing on that channel and what will air up to 13 days. Select goes to that chanel's on demand page.

Yep, I stand corrected. This must have changed recently.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#11 ·
heddhunter said:
I have an HR22. I'm probably just screwed.
Yes its just that slow! You can try a reboot, But again I've been through all that a million times. If you have the Protection plan, you should call directv and see what they can do. Maybe your equipment is worse then normal. But It sounds normal to me unfortunately.

#12 ·
heddhunter said:
Is navigating On Demand on your HD DVR painfully slow? Mine is. My wife was trying to find something last night and it took ages just to get the screen to come up, then each button press to go down a page in the listings took 10+ seconds. That can't be right. I know there are other ways to find the information (web site, ipad app) but if you've already got the TV on why bother with a second screen? (Except right now you kinda have to.)
Yep I have the same problem with my HR 20-100. Started about 2 months ago for me. Done several resets to no avail.

#14 ·
FussyBob said:
I have 2, HR22 receivers. I just checked, when I click on "All" On Demand which is max number of listings it takes 22 seconds for the first page list to show up, after that each page list take 1-2 seconds to show up.

I find this quite fast!
I get the same results when I click ALL. When I click animation under interest it takes 58 seconds before the listing pops up and 8 seconds to load next page of listings.

#15 ·
damondlt said:
Also it sounds dumb but when picking something from the list, Hit RECORD button, not select then record. Way faster!!!
Unless you want to WATCH NOW! I find the receiver keeps up faster when doing a "Watch now", Then setting a recording. Just things I've noticed from my HR34.
Same with the 24s.

Rich

#16 ·
heddhunter said:
I have an HR22. I'm probably just screwed.
Yup. Not much you can do about it except getting a better model. A 24 won't have that problem, but I doubt if that's enough of a problem to get them to send you a 24. I'd keep calling until one of those calls triggers a truck roll or a call from Case Management. Be persistent and polite, I know how difficult that can be but it pays off in the end.

Rich

#17 ·
damondlt said:
Yes its just that slow! You can try a reboot, But again I've been through all that a million times. If you have the Protection plan, you should call directv and see what they can do. Maybe your equipment is worse then normal. But It sounds normal to me unfortunately.
Yup, sounds normal to me.

Rich

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.