DBSTalk Forum banner

NHL Center Ice and GenieGO to be Fixed?

4K views 54 replies 13 participants last post by  islesfan 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if DirecTV has any plans to fix the PPV bug in Genie Go for extended sports subsctiptions like NHL Center Ice for this season? That was a pretty annoying screw-up last year, since all NHL Center Ice games are mis-tagged as PPV, so the Nomad/Genie Go wouldn't transcode them (or even let you watch them in the home). Last year, all DirecTV would say when asked was "you cannot transfer PPV, OTA, or VOD content to the Nomad." Since NHL Center Ice is none of these things, there had to be a bug, but DirecTV wouldn't even acknowledge anything was wrong. It would be decent of them to fix this before the season starts next month.

#2 ·
I would guess that since it is a paid package that it is considered to be PPV. DirecTV most likely has wording in the contract with the NHL that precludes it from being available on the GenieGo.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#3 ·
Thought we covered this before.

I sent an email to Ellen's office and after research by that office, was told that no out of market sporting events would be able to transferred to the nomad/GenieGo. they were submitting a change so that the GenieGo documentation would list out of market games along with PPV and other programming that can't be transcoded.

That was the main reason I got my nomad (hockey), so I plan on canceling my CI package this year.

#4 ·
trh said:
Thought we covered this before.

I sent an email to Ellen's office and after research by that office, was told that no out of market sporting events would be able to transferred to the nomad/GenieGo. they were submitting a change so that the GenieGo documentation would list out of market games along with PPV and other programming that can't be transcoded.

That was the main reason I got my nomad (hockey), so I plan on canceling my CI package this year.
I had hoped that they had come to their senses. All of the previous responses (from DirecTV) sounded like a Tier I CSR script, like they didn't really know what we were asking about. Now it looks like we just get shafted again.

#6 ·
fireponcoal said:
Great way to push paying customers toward torrent availability.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app
lets not go this route.

#7 ·
Allowing the Genie Go to transfer/stream those games would directly compete with services like MLB.TV, NBA Live Online, NHL Gamecenter Live, and Sunday Ticket Max streaming services and could cause them to lose customers. Therefore I doubt you will ever see the ability for those sporting events to work with the Genie Go.

If you really need to be able to stream those games and don't want to pay for another subscription you need to look at Slingbox, Volcano, etc.

#8 ·
Beerstalker said:
Allowing the Genie Go to transfer/stream those games would directly compete with services like MLB.TV, NBA Live Online, NHL Gamecenter Live, and Sunday Ticket Max streaming services and could cause them to lose customers. Therefore I doubt you will ever see the ability for those sporting events to work with the Genie Go.

If you really need to be able to stream those games and don't want to pay for another subscription you need to look at Slingbox, Volcano, etc.
Well, hang on then, because allowing my GenieGo to transcode ABC shows would then compete with services like ABC online, iTunes, and Hulu. There are too many examples of these to cite here.

I did fill out the form to contact Ellen's office, and I got a call back on Saturday telling me that they "had technical people working on it," and that someone would get back to me this week. Granted, that doesn't mean they are fixing it, but it is better than the usual form email describing how you cannot use the Genie Go to "transcode PPV, VOD, or OTA..." while completely avoiding the actual question. I'll post back if there is any movement on this.

#9 ·
islesfan said:
Well, hang on then, because allowing my GenieGo to transcode ABC shows would then compete with services like ABC online, iTunes, and Hulu. There are too many examples of these to cite here.
but those are not "premium" services

#10 ·
peds48 said:
but those are not "premium" services
I hate when people nitpick things like this. My daughter does stuff like this all the time and it irritates me to no end.

Is HBO a premium service then? Because I can use GenieGo for HBO which competes with HBOGo.

Instead of nitpicking the details, why not just address the overall spirit of Islesfan's point?

#12 ·
lets not go this route.

Just a fact. I'm aware it's not a fact that jives with your DirecTV pay stub but the fact remains. NHL torrents is kind of a real thing.. I pay for the CI and Gamecenter but this is not a viable option for many. The GenieGo has been such a mess since its release and this is one of the reasons why. I know, I know, it will never be called a dud around these parts but really, what DirecTV product ever is? They are all treated as nothing short of a miracle in modern pay TV.

DirecTV trying to please every content holder at the expense of paying customers has consequences and people turning to other means to get said content is one of them..

#14 ·
Crow159 said:
Instead of nitpicking the details, why not just address the overall spirit of Islesfan's point?
I await the answer islesfan will get from Ellen's office. I submitted an email in Feb and was told that there isn't a bug in the nomad/GenieGo and not being able to transcode out of market games isn't a 'screw-up'.

#17 ·
dennisj00 said:
How about a letter to the NHL?
I'll go there next, but I wouldn't hold my breath on any solution there. Besides, it would be a waste of time unless DirecTV tells me they cannot allow NHL on GenieGo because the NHL doesn't allow it. I find that unlikely, since the games carried on NBC/NBCSN/MSNBC... are all OK on GenieGo. If the league had a problem with hockey games on iPhones, they would have to put a stop to that too.

#18 ·
fireponcoal said:
Just a fact. I'm aware it's not a fact that jives with your DirecTV pay stub but the fact remains. NHL torrents is kind of a real thing.. I pay for the CI and Gamecenter but this is not a viable option for many. The GenieGo has been such a mess since its release and this is one of the reasons why. I know, I know, it will never be called a dud around these parts but really, what DirecTV product ever is? They are all treated as nothing short of a miracle in modern pay TV.

DirecTV trying to please every content holder at the expense of paying customers has consequences and people turning to other means to get said content is one of them..

You have a point, but I wouldn't call the GenieGo a dud by any stretch of the imagination. It had some bugs at first, endless trancoding loops, etc., but I haven't seen those in awhile now. The out of home streaming is excellent. I do still get use out of it for some regular TV shows, but I bought it to watch the Islanders while on my two hour daily commute. It is an excellent bit of tech, aside from this one major screw-up. For the vast majority of TV watchers who aren't NHL fans, I highly recommend it.

#20 ·
Any device that actively limits my viewing options in 2013 is a dud in my somewhat narrow opinion. So yes I do believe many of the GenieGo features are very nice and even desirable from my perspective. The limits do outweigh its positives hence me never taking the preverbal plunge..

I find many of the trappings of the current payTV landscape colored these days by my other seemingly unlimited viewing options. Not trying to offend those whose viewing habits are based squarely in that landscape.. I simply tend to express them in a very direct manner. :)

Go Oilers!

#25 ·
OK, I just got a call from Ellen's office, and the official word is the problem is fixed! She told me (I forgot her name) that they spent the week trying to recreate the problem and could not. NHL Center Ice recordings will transcode using the Genie Go with only one limit: Recordings of over 5 hours pass the limit and cannot transcode (3 hours for Android).

We should be good to go for this season!

#26 ·
fireponcoal said:
NFL fans pay a little more as well and if the NHL offered a similar model I would jump at the chance to subscribe.

NBA League Pass viewers do not pay more, however, and they get League Pass online and mobile included.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.