DBSTalk Forum banner

When is Youtube coming to older Roku's

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Athlon646464 
#1 ·
When roku launched Youtube on the Roku 3 they said sometime in early 2014 they would launch it on older roku's. I have the roku 2 xs which was $100 at the time I got it and I don't want to have to spend that again just to get Youtube when I can get everything else that Roku 3 can get. Is this still going to happen?

#2 ·
You just never know with Roku.

I've been a hard core Roku user for several years, but YouTube was always a sticking point.

I've never bought their high end streamers, I have a Roku 2 XD and the new Roku 1&2, and I doubt that they bring YouTube to the older models, just like I doubt that Netflix will ever bring profiles to any of my Roku's.

I have switched almost entirely to using Chromecast as I bought one for every TV. I think I've bought my last Roku.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DBSTalk mobile app

#3 ·
dualsub2006 said:
I have switched almost entirely to using Chromecast as I bought one for every TV. I think I've bought my last Roku.
Complete opposite here, I bought a Roku 3 and am using it a lot more then the Chromecast now. Of course a large part can be contributed to D* allowing authentication with HBOGO, A&E, History, Lifetime, Showtime Anytime etc. on the Roku now.

The upcoming new HDMI version $49.99 Roku streaming stick will support YouTube and DIAL support protocol, much like the Roku 3 and Chromecast.

#4 ·
Different strokes I suppose.

I hate that the YouTube app and Smart Search in the Android are being withheld from other "current" models while this new little stick gets both out of the box.

Roku had me at one point, that point just isn't now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DBSTalk mobile app

#8 ·
Update: YouTube cat videos can finally play on most Roku devices

Roku has just announced that the YouTube app, once exclusive only to the Roku 3, is now available to all of the company's "current-gen" players. That includes the Roku LT, Roku 1, the Roku 2, the Roku HD, the Roku Streaming Stick... and, well, pretty much all of them.

In other news, Roku has also announced that the Fox Now channel is now finally available to Comcast customers (it's already accessible via other providers like AT&T U-Verse and Dish). Simply link the app up to your Xfinity account, and you'll be able to watch the upcoming season of 24 whenever you like....

Full Story Here

Engadget

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.