DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Referral code

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  heddhunter 
#1 ·
I've been a directv customer for many years now and I'm sick to death of their slow hardware and ever increasing prices. The last time I called they gave me a measly $5 off for 3 months. Wow. My wife and daughter will not let me cut the cord entirely - they like the simplicity and convenience of a cable or satellite provider.

Right now I'm staying at a vacation rental and they have dish hopper here. It's very impressive! The speed of the box alone was enough to tip the scales for me, but then I got a taste of prime time any time and auto commercial skip. Sold. I'm ready to switch. Does anyone have a referral code they'd be willing to shoot my way?

Gonna call dtv first thing when I get back to civilization.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#6 ·
heddhunter said:
It's an HR22 and they want to charge me $200 for the upgrade.
it's that with installation or just the equipment itself?
You can speak with retention they would look into any discounts or bill credit, maybe a free upgrade if you're eligible,
Just call the Directv phone number and say cancel service on the prompt, and say no if ask if you're canceling because you are moving.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

#8 ·
To each their own, I spent a couple days at a family members house that had dish. Man was it bad. No awful, it was awful. Granted it wasn't a hopper which I am sure is better. But still, even DirecTVs worst ever receivers where better than their units.

#9 ·
I've heard that Dish gets more rain fade than Directv, of course it all depends how well either systems were installed, and if the dish were aligned properly, I had a family member that used to have Dish years ago, I think around 2001-05, and every little rain would drop out badly, Had to do a check switch all the time, or reboot , And sometimes it works, But most of the time it didn't work and was hassle to get it to work, Probably the dish was misaligned or cable issues, I didn't know about satellite dishes at the time, since I was still on Cable, I thought it was a receiver issue, Of course a lot have changed since then, And I'm pretty sure Directv had issues as well, The only real issue I've experienced was the notorious nationwide receiver freeze 4 years ago that everyone had to reboot twice to get it working, Other than that no issues since.

#11 ·
With a few extreme situations on the fringes of the satellite footprints... most of the problems people associate with "rain fade" are ultimately due to a dish that is not properly peaked. This is true for both Dish and DirecTV.

There's nothing that can be done when the dark clouds are overhead between your dish and the satellites in space... but that's the only time I lose signal. I can watch just fine in a heavy downpour of rain as long as the clouds are white.

#13 ·
inkahauts said:
To each their own, I spent a couple days at a family members house that had dish. Man was it bad. No awful, it was awful. Granted it wasn't a hopper which I am sure is better. But still, even DirecTVs worst ever receivers where better than their units.
Well, I pulled the trigger and we are on Dish now. The hopper absolutely smokes my old Directv box. It's not even close. Like a formula 1 racer vs a skateboard missing a wheel. Also the hopper has HDMI-CEC which DTV does not. Now my wife can push one button and have everything turned on and set to the proper inputs.

The iPad integration is fantastic. We're going on a car trip soon and my daughter can easily load up her ipad with shows from the DVR to watch during 7 hours of no internet access or cellular reception.

I called DTV to cancel and they offered me a free Genie and $20 off for 6 months. Too little, too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.