DBSTalk Forum banner

New GUI

198K views 3K replies 249 participants last post by  Delroy E Walleye 
#1 ·
The new GUI is apparently out to at least some customers (outside of CE). Has anyone received it yet, and any thoughts?

#230 ·
If they don't want customers to leave over it, maybe they should wait to release it until those bugs are fixed.

It sure looks like a manager somewhere was told "the new GUI has to be released by this date", probably because they have some advertising campaign planned soon. From the sound of things, it should still be getting picked apart by the CE crowd, not ordinary customers who just have everything change on them - and not for the better - without any warning and even worse some of them get recordings deleted too!

I mean, I'd be pissed as hell if my phone updated itself to a new version of the OS without my consent, which changed the interface, made it slower, took away functionality I'd become accustomed to, deleted some photos I'd recently taken and left me no option to go back!
This does happen. I have a HR24 and I hope I don't get the new GUI at all. Sounds like a train wreck and more removed functonality. Like who does that except DirecTV? Remove functionality? Remember the good old days when you were able to FF while in the guide & menus? They took that away for no reason. Also took away music sharing on the newer boxes even though the HR24 still has it. Now I'm reading they took away the color button functionality and you have to press a bunch of buttons to do the same stuff? Very odd. No wonder they are losing customers.

#231 ·
Don't want to derail the topic but the move to Genie from Directv Tivo was great, better than expected, a few minor details that were not as good, one being that when you have live tv paused and you watch recorded program, delete and stay within playlist, live tv automatically unpauses, so if you want to watch another recorded program and maintain live tv place you have to exit our of playlist, pause then go back in, never understood why it worked this way.

#232 ·
Only HR44 and later receivers are getting the new interface. HR34 and older are keeping the black interface.

#236 ·
FYI - I have an HR44-500 and haven't received the new GUI yet.

Remember what things were like before we had DLB on the HRxx series? Was like Christmas morning when it went active.

#242 · (Edited)
No problem to those who like it, I just want Directv to change two things that I can't find a purpose or logic to, get rid of the dark shade surrounding the progress bar and make the playlist/guide fonts larger and more readable.

And one more thing, make the color difference in the progress bar between time left and time played more noticeable, currently time played is dark grey, time left is light grey, barely perceptible.

#246 ·
I think that they are rolling this out slowly in order to keep the CSR lines fairly open to questions related to the new GUI. Forcing is possible but you have to have someone who can clue into when its in the stream, otherwise you will get the older national release.

#249 ·
I did this trick this morning...didn't get a new update on hs17:

You need to do a reset, then watch the lights on the front of the HS17. During the initial boot up sequence (about 10 seconds) the status light remains off. Once the status light turns solid white (for about 5 seconds) press the Add Client button on the top of the HS17 to force a software download. The status light will flash yellow (for about 5 seconds) then flash white while the download occurs. Do not unplug or reset the HS17 while it is the flashing white state.

#254 ·
Who me? I've never seen it, I have a commercial account - no DVRs, no clients. The GUI is meaningless for me, I still have the old blue SD interface on the H20s and when I replace those with clients someday (once Directv supports them on commercial accounts) and get the new GUI it won't make the slightest bit of difference to how we use them.

#284 ·
Where was the fade in the list and guide? The only fade I’ve seen — and still see — is in Rewind and FF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#292 ·
The watcher hasn't been working in several weeks whenever I've checked it, and others report the same. I haven't checked it early in the morning, but I expect it to be inactive then, too.

#295 ·
I noticed yesterday morning that when I turned on my Genie 1 client it said that it couldn't connect to the server. It looked like the new interface on that screen. When I went into the room where the main box was, it was off completely. Reset button did nothing to bring it back. After I unplugged the box it came back up and started downloading software before the start up screen. After all was said and done, it looked exactly the same. Did I do something wrong or am I not getting the update?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.