DBSTalk Forum banner

Directv/AT&T - Disney/ESPN Carriage Renewal

25K views 294 replies 63 participants last post by  techguy88 
#1 ·
ESPN is running ads tonight stating that Disney Channel, ESPN and Freeform may be dropped. There is no mention of Directv or AT&T but per the UVerse legal filings, it's known that the UVerse deal is up later this month.

From the July USA Today UVerse legal posting here: https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/u-verse-tv/KM1333754?gsi=q5eemy

September 2019
The AT&T contract with the programmer for the following channels is set to expire. While these channels will continue to be available to U-verse members so long as AT&T has the rights to carry them, if a reasonable agreement cannot be reached with the programmer the programming will no longer be available. AT&T may modify the channel location for the programming by moving them from their current channel location to a channel between 9501 - 9599, and if a reasonable longer term agreement cannot be reached with the programmers, we may lose the rights to carry them (listed in alphabetical order) on or after September 2019: AT&T Sports Net Rocky Mountain West (channel 757 and 1757 in HD); CTI-Zhong Tian (channel 3604); Disney Channel (channel 302 and 1302 in HD); Disney Channel - West (channel 303 and 1303 in HD); Disney Jr. HD/- West (channel 1306 in HD); Disney XD (channel 304 and 1304 in HD); Disney XD - West (channel 305 and 1305 in HD); Disney XD en Espanol (channel 3052 in HD); Eleven Sports Network (channel 1665); ESPN (channel 602 and 1602 in HD); ESPN Classic (channel 603); ESPN Deportes (channel 3113 and 3313 in HD); ESPN2 (channel 606 and 1606 in HD); ESPNEWS (channel 604 and 1604 in HD); ESPNU (channel 604 and 1605 in HD); Estrella (channel 3024); Freeform (channel 178 and 1178 in HD); Freeform West (channel 179 and 1179 in HD); Jewelry TV HD (channels 1056, 1059, 1428 in HD); Longhorn Network (channel 611 and 1611 in HD); NBA TV (channel 632 and 1632 in HD); NBC Sports Chicago (channel 741 and 1741 in HD); NBC Sports Chicago + (channel 742 and 1742 in HD); SECN (channel 607 and 1607 in HD); SEC-A (channel 608 and 1608 in HD); SEC-B (channel 609 and 1609 in HD); Spectrum Sports Net (channel 777 and 1777 in HD); Spectrum Sports net Alternate (channel 779 and 1779 in HD)

See less See more
#5 ·
Have been wondering when this and Sinclair carriage would become the next round of fights. I would guess that the timing of U-Verse demise has something to do with this. The carriage contracts need to reflect the changing technologies before they can switch that segment of the business to AT&T TV. In the last two years they have cycled through most, if not all, of the major content providers. That assumes these two hurdles are completed.

#8 ·
The current agreement was announced on December 23, 2014.

DIRECTV and The Walt Disney Company Sign Expansive Agreement - DIRECTV Insider

No one ever announced the number of years, but five years, expiring this December, would make sense.
That December 2014 date was the result of a short-term extension. The original end date was September 30th, 2014. It's plausible that the current Directv deal begin date was back-dated to the September 2014 date. https://www.multichannel.com/news/directv-disney-continue-carriage-negotiations-386437

#23 ·
AMEN! I rarely look at the HD anticipation thread anymore because that is all it is now. This is a DIRECTV forum. There are U-VERSE forums. Take all that crap there. It would not be tolerated if people were posting Dish stuff here. Just because they are both AT&T doesn't mean we care at all. It's REALLY annoying.

Reactions: MysteryMan
#11 ·
Crazy these content owners demanding more and more ...

Also I thought DirecTV and disney are good since we just got acc network ??

And cox and comcast dont ??

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#14 · (Edited)
This is now beyond ridiculous. Directv seems to be trying to get in the Guinness book for most consecutive contract disputes possible within a short period. They’ve now turned into Dish Network. They decided to play hardball with the one company you don’t, at the time of year you don’t, and Disney seems to have called the bluff and taken it public. Now all leverage is lost, as any blackout right now will result in mass exodus. Disney can raise their price even higher now. This wont end well...

#18 ·
This is now beyond ridiculous. Directv seems to be trying to get in the Guinness book for most consecutive contract disputes possible within a short period. They've now turned into Dish Network. They decided to play hardball with the one company you don't, at the time of year you don't, and Disney seems to have called the bluff and taken it public. Now all leverage is lost, as any blackout right now will result in mass exodus. Disney can raise their price even higher now. This wont end well...
We want ESPN in the ESPN premium pack (yes it costs as much as them) and Disney in the Disney channel premium pack.

#27 ·
I'll worry about it when if it happens. Going to some website or sending a tweet that says "If you guys drop ESPN, I'm outta here !" ain't gonna do squat. As much as sports fans (like me) want their ESPN, people with kids will scream to the high heavens if they lose the other Disney channels. AT&T will have a PR nightmare if they drop the mouse, even for a couple of days.

#33 ·
When espn/disney was disputing with altice 2 years ago abc NY was at risk as well

With DirecTV being the sports leader in TV I think/hope they will get this resolved quickly

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#37 ·
Was watching MNF last night at work on my iPhone from the ESPN app. Not that I pay much attention to the scroll at the bottom all the time, but I don’t recall seeing any message regarding a dispute either.
I despise both of these behemoths, but if Disney Vision gets blacked out then surely we’ll get a discount on our bill, right? Right?

#38 ·
Was watching MNF last night at work on my iPhone from the ESPN app. Not that I pay much attention to the scroll at the bottom all the time, but I don't recall seeing any message regarding a dispute either.
I despise both of these behemoths, but if Disney Vision gets blacked out then surely we'll get a discount on our bill, right? Right?
As in most situations involving money, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

#39 ·
#40 ·
It appears ESPN has carrier-specific feeds or 'separate net control'. I thought it was odd that it said 'customers' instead of 'At&t customers'. This is the first I heard of this as Usually they name the provider. For example seeing warning for dish on DTV or warning for DTV on nexstar or CBS OTA
Odd seeing as directv just added ACC Network I was thinking who is dropping? being MNF with no blackout I was thinking it was not directv that was going to drop it.

how many do they really have?? Or did they auto switch cable to the Reverse mirror feed?

#42 ·
Given late-arising awareness of the potential loss of Disney channels, I’m glad I can access ESPN via Comcast. Oddly, it makes financial sense to be a quad-pay – TV, data, phone, home security – vice triple-play customer despite the fact I never watch TV via Comcast; well, until now. In my area, its constellation of HD channels materially is less robust than DirecTV’s offerings (moreover, there is no 4k programming). Fortunately, the local ABC and all ESPN channels are presented in HD.

Nevertheless, I strongly hope Disney and AT&T can achieve a resolution before Friday to avoid inconveniencing everyone, especially during college football season.

#53 ·
I just saw this. I just was watching & posted a new thread about this in the DIRECTV Programming forum. They are blacking out the entire Bottom Line at times preventing us from seeing the message. I believe they are not supposed to be altering the presentation of the channel? Right now the whole Bottom Line is Completely Black.

#45 ·
How is it we hear about locals disputes sometimes a month or more in advance, but we only hear about this potential ESPN dispute a week ahead of time? Can it really be this weekend, or is it more likely to be the end of this month?

#47 ·
Just a guess on my part but I think they will extend this to the end of the month and then if there is still not an agreement then maybe the stations will be pulled.

I wonder if AT&T/Directv truly realizes how much blow-back they will get from customers on this if it gets to that point? It's one thing missing a tv show but the amount of passion/craziness when people start missing their favorite teams game is on another level.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.